• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your Cars/Trucks/Bikes

hehe, that engine does indeed look impressive, next to the 2.3L Slant-4 in my car...

My car is a 1986 Volvo 240. She's fairly young for a 240, has only 275,000 KM's on her. Durable, reliable, and problem free. The only real issue she has is some bad rust on the sill (it used to be on both sills, but I cut off and replaced one. Will have to get around to doing the other side sometime).

It's pretty slow off the line, but cruises nicely. 114HP pulling 3500+ lb's tends to have that effect :D

You live in mobile home Terry?

Ok, here we go...complete with a view under the hood, which for some reason seems to cause all the neighborhood kiddiez piss their pants in awe. I s'poze to a generation raised on V6es & 4-bangers, a real engine must be pretty impressive...even if it is a bog-standard 350, painted the wrong color(s). Mebbe they'd feel differently about it if they were the one feeding it...

Also note the brand-new dent in the second pic. Looks like $200.00 worth to me...

--T

Look at the bog rust (where did that word bog come from, only recently seems to be cropping up everywhere). I know "D00d, I live in snow and salt country, rust is ubiquitous." (hehe, love that word, Phillip K. Dick even has a novel with Ubik as the title, I need to start reading it on my Kindle 1).

Rust schmust...it's pretty clean for having endured 20 Michigan winters. We don't call it the Rust Belt for nothing. Hell, I think it's the first Chebby* 1/2-ton I ever owned that still has it's own floorboards. No holes, old license plates, stop signs...nothing! I wouldn't have paid $450.00 for just any ol' POS. Lessee, minus the 200 from the neighbor, and the 200 the junkyard gave me for the ol' Jimbo, I got 'bout fitty buck$ into it now...(not counting repairs)...

* CanHearEveryValveRattleOnLongExtendedTrips

--T

Last edited:
Actually, even as ugly as it is, it still a leetle too purty for me, I don't even know what to do with it. I mean, I just can't picture myself saying, f'rinstance, "Nah, I can't go mud boggin' with y'all today, I just polished my rims..."

--T

@ Kaypro

114 horses from a 2.3 litre?

My 1.6, 16-valve Pug has a quoted 110 BHP. They didn't push the boat out when they tuned the Volvo 240, did they?

Hey, mine's a '66 too. I also have a vintage '76 Ford-based Class C motor home. That ol' 300 six-popper gets better mileage than the truck.

So, besides you, me and chuckie baby, how many other trailuh-trash we gots here? C'mon guys, don't be bashful...

--T

Sweet, I think this house is from around you 66 Detroiter, have you heard of the them around your part of the woods. I wanna get a motor home.

Since we are all shareing pics here is one from my end, my 1974 ford and 1949 caddy and 1988 burben'

http://www.ibm5150pc.com/pic_cars.jpg

Hey, mine's a '66 too. I also have a vintage '76 Ford-based Class C motor home. That ol' 300 six-popper gets better mileage than the truck.

So, besides you, me and chuckie baby, how many other trailuh-trash we gots here? C'mon guys, don't be bashful...

--T

Lots of us live in "Trailuh"s. I live in a single wide version, 1984 vintage. Before I started on this forum, I could actually walk from one end to the other end fairly freely and sit down on the couch. Now, me and the dog have to carefully tiptoe down the narrow path that's left, either me or the dog in front. Couch is totally covered, even hard to get very close to it now, so much stuff on the floor around it. The larger bedroom is a total joke, boxes and computers everywhere. I found someone who wants the queen sized bed in there but I get tired just thinking about how to get it out of there. There is a motorized tread mill in there too, making the entire operation even more difficult. Those tread mills are heavy muhthuz.

lol, I have a house which the girlfriend lovingly calls a storage unit. Now I can't have stuff everywhere (wasted floor space (unused). drives me nuts!) but yes my computer room (new and some of my favorites in the collection reside) look like that mental image, and now my garage which the girlfriend moved a few of my servers out of the kitchen (the nerve?!) is now a bit of a problem where I can't move around much and get to a lot of my more common collectibles in there anymore. Previously I could atleast move along the paths I left but as more and more things got dislocated it's a pain now.

I still have the majority of upstairs like that though, need to get a bookshelf or two built and the rest of my books off the floor in the library. I think I already have 6 or 7 bookshelves in there.. dunno if I might unload some less valued programming/etc books soon (I'll post them here for sure) per her request. Again, it's nothing special though.. it'll be old versions of newer languages like Delphi that'll probably go first.

I've thought about storage units but dang, like $80-100/month for a useful climate controlled one so I dunno. Though I could for a short period while I pretend to clean up and then move them back. Grr.

Hmmmm...we've got pretty boring rides at our house, 2002 Montana van my wife drives (she usually hauls our little guy around), and I've got my old 1993 Cavalier 4 door, but its reliable. Last few months I've been given a company truck to drive, 2002 Avalanche - forgot how much I missed having a truck from growing up on the farm :) If they want it back at some point, I'm going to miss it, lol.
Barythrin, I feel your pain...my 'computer lab' is filled to overflowing, I've brokered deals with my wife for a spare closet and part of the garage, but I've got to rethink my storage :)

I have nothing exciting, a dark blue 1996 Crown Victoria LX that needs a transmission flush among other things. When I get a job again it'd be nice to get truck. Or if we're dreaming a BMW 760i...

@ Kaypro

114 horses from a 2.3 litre?

My 1.6, 16-valve Pug has a quoted 110 BHP. They didn't push the boat out when they tuned the Volvo 240, did they?

hehe, no they didn't. It's a torquey engine though, and just about bombproof. I did a little reading on them a while back, and it turns out Volvo took one of their V8 designs, and cut it in half to get the B18-23x series engines (used in the 240, among others). That's where the they get the Slant arrangement from. Durable, but not the best performer (Though one model of engine, the B234F, put out 200+ HP, but it was sold only in Europe...:()

It's a fairly large 4-Cylinder at 2.3L , but it's the main reason V8 conversions are so common in Volvo 240's. A shop in town here does the conversion for $5000 (they drop in a 5.0L Ford Mustang engine, and transmission adapter). What I wouldn't give for that....

Back