• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your favorite cpu

I like the Pentium PRO however it's not really of any vintage so I'll go with my second fav, the Intel Overdrive DX4 75. I got that dropped in a system right now and running at 100Mhz!

Cpu!

Cpu!

Guess my favorite would be the 486DX2-66. Good speed, high stability, and didn't generate TOO much heat.

Forget about the technical aspects good or bad...

Think about the CPU that had the most physiological effect on you in a positive manner.

:D

Think about the CPU that had the most physiological effect on you in a positive manner.:D

Well, in that case for me it was the humble Z80. It was at the heart of my first kit computer - the Sinclair ZX81 (I think you guys on the other side of the pond called it the Timex-Sinclair 1000 ;)). It was my first foray into assembly language and the beginning of my career in 'computers'.

A toss up between 6502 and 68000,

I did my first assembler programming on 6502s and Z80s, and found the 6502s instruction set just NICE, and the Z80s awkward, with awkward bits bolted on in an awkward way. The X86 architecture has followed the same path.

68000 again for it's lovely instruction set (and that it ran the Amiga!)

I like the original Pentium with it's FDIV Mostly because of the public outcry, and general all round 'ball dropping' and attempted obfuscation by Intel..
I agree that is a good one to collect, and the FDIV doesn't make it any less usable either. IIRC the "flaw" was available in both the plain and "gold top" spreader versions.
Some funnies for you.
Paul.
Thanks for the reminder.
At Intel, Quality is Job 0.99989960954
That's funny! It's also funny (in a recursive kind of way) how the person that put up that site couldn't figure out how to write a text file. lol

A toss up between 6502 and 68000,

I did my first assembler programming on 6502s and Z80s, and found the 6502s instruction set just NICE, and the Z80s awkward, with awkward bits bolted on in an awkward way. The X86 architecture has followed the same path.

68000 again for it's lovely instruction set (and that it ran the Amiga!)

I can remember when the Arcade Game Gauntlet came out, and the word 68000 was thrown around, at that time I think most arcade games were z80 based..

What "pluses" are you referring to? (curious since I do collect Commodore/Amiga but don't recall a plus on any of the numbers unless that was a euro thing).

There was the original 1/2Mb Amiga A500 with Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3, then Commodore brought out a 1Mb Amiga A500 Plus with Kickstart 2.04; was this not released in the USA?

If it's the system with most impact on my life, I'm still sticking with my answer, though technically it'd be the 8088 which is what our first family computer had. That was definitely the beginning of my amazement with computers and what they could do.

Forget about the technical aspects good or bad...

Think about the CPU that had the most physiological effect on you in a positive manner.

:D

Ok, from a purely emotional and subjective point of view it would be the Z-80. It was at the core of my System 80 and I dabbled with some assembly language on that machine hence learned a little about it.

Second would be a 486-DX66. I had one of these boxes running win95 for a few years, and eventually it was running Win NT. I discovered DOOM, it ran MS Flight Simulator well and I learnt about servers with it. Although not directly linked to the processor, that machine (a locally assembled clone) was 100% reliable.

Tez

My favorites:

8088, nostalgia for my IBM 5150 I had as a kid (and still have!)
i486-DX4 100 was my first real gaming machine, it and I spent many many hours together.

Well, if we're talking monolithic, single-chip CPUs...

National PACE or GI CP1600? Shows just how s-l-o-w a 16-bit CPU can be. Or the schizoid NSC800? Z80 CPU with an 8085 personality.

I don't believe I have a favorite CPU, but if I did, it'd prolly be the i8080, simply because I've taken the time to learn all I can about it, so I understand it (somewhat), which is more than I can say 'bout any other. The rest really are black boxes full of majikal smoke, AFAIK.

--T

... The rest really are black boxes full of majikal smoke, AFAIK. --T
That's why I like the Pentium gold tops! They're so .... approachable ... they make you feel like you understand them ... It was a brilliant attempt by Intel to make processors appeal to a wider crowd ... a forshadowing of web2.0 if you will ...

I thought the discussion was only about "later PCs" but it seems to have drifted somewhat :) So I'll chime in with my favourites.

My first real computer experience with a C128 so I'll have to say that the 8502 is a favourite just because of that. (There was a Z80 in there to, but I never used it much)

But my true love is with the DEC cpu's. A Straight-8 with all discrete components is just mind blowing. I've had the fortune to work with a PDP-11/70 which is just an awesome experience.

pdp11-70-inside-25.jpg

A fully loaded PDP-11/70

Back