• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your "Must-have" computers

My next must have computer really isn't a computer per-se, but it is something I want to add to my current vintage collection. That is the IBM5161 Expansion unit. I have all of the parts lined up to rebuild one, I just can't afford to buy them right now. This will be a great addition to my IBM 5150 PC.

Ian, did you know that those MHz displays were fake? (at least the ones I saw) They used jumpers on the back to configure the 7 segment displays. There could have been one or two that actually reflected the ongoing system clock rate, but I never saw one.

g.
I guess you could configure it to display whatever you want. I once had a 386 that you could switch between the time and the clock rate, but I wasn't smart back then and decided anything without a hard drive is useless, so I threw it out. My 486 that has one of these is genuine (it worked before) but the motherboard doesn't have a port for the display to plug in to (WHY, WHY, WHYYYY).

This one!

File:Cray2.jpg

Can't figure out why the pic isn't showing...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cray2.jpg

Ah, yeah. Those things are a bit of a beast, but pretty cool (nice screens!) You wanna be careful with them, though - some earlier models have a really whacked-out motherboard that feeds the CPU (64-bit data bus) off a 32-bit bus; it's not pretty. (Low-End Mac can help you sort out which models are good or bad. Stay away from the Performa 5200-53xx and 6200-6320.) You can find used Macs for free or extremely cheap from just about any school in the US, as they just hoard 'em up to avoid paying disposal costs.

Wow you guys have such a diverse want collection! im quite surprised.

putting aside a PDP-8 Which is down the road because I don't quite know enough to own that computer yet,

IBM Series/1 ( I saw one for sale just shipping is a killer...)
And IBM 5160!!!! ( i want to use bobcat and set it up for actual use )
I believe it can send & recieve emails via text based applications on the modern internet, so I am almost sure i could set that up!

I have the monitor already I saved it ( sadly the tower was destroyed :( )

yea i would be so happy to buy either of them at the current moment.

I have one for sale! Come and get it...Wilm, DE USA This week/weekend only. It's slated to be picked up for delivery to the MARCH museum this weekend, but if they can't get it, it's going to be abandoned.

As long as we are wishing here; I would like to have a Sharp X68000. Preferably one of the later models, with SCSI disks. And it should be working.
I don't know why I want it, but I just do.

Sigh...a PDP-11 (any model) or if I am really pie-in-the-sky dreaming, a PDP-8 :) Not sure where I would put it though.

On a more realistic note, I would like to add at least one Commodore PET to my collection. For some odd reason, I have never had any luck whatsoever in obtaining a PET in my area.

I must have the following:

MAC FIRST MODEL
LISA
IBM AT
IBM XT
COMPAQ DESKPRO 386
APPLE IIGS
APPLE IIC
APPLE II
TRS80 MODEL 1

Back