• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried logging in on my Dell Inspiron 8000 (running Windows 2000 and Kmeleon 74) and the login box comes up, but when I put my info in and hit “log in,” it just says “loading...” and nothing else happens. That’s quite a bummer actually, as the site otherwise seems to work fine on it. I really liked using these forums on that laptop. Perhaps there’s a workaround, though I have no clue what that would be. I’ll try clearing the cookies, but I don’t think that’ll work.

With that said, I’m not mad at anyone over it and I’m open to suggestions for a possible fix. If I could just log in, I’d be set.

When will the "Welcome Back" splash go away? I've been back and back and back and yet I'm still seeing:

"1 of 2 >
Welcome back!

If you're seeing this then welcome to the NEW Vintage Computer Forums.

The forums have been updated to the latest version of the software which means new features and some changes to old ones.

Please don't be alarmed. Change is good!"​

The above seems to imply after seeing this once it will not display again.

OBTW, right up there with: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" & "New and improved" is the phrase: "Change is good". I'm more of a fan of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". But just like a new version of Windows, we'll adapt since there's not much choice.

Sigh. If we could just get rid of those "share" and "tweet" buttons, and that "like" icon, then at least this forum might look like a place for intelligent grown-up discussion again. These SHOULD be configurable.(Yea, I can block them with a custom CSS or whatever that previous poster was using, but I care about how it looks to the world.)

Lastly, cancel the Facebook and Twitter buttons. PLEASE.

Yes what they said.. Immediately please.

Also has anyone else seen this yet? I was hitting the quotes button to quote these two posts and once I hit the button one time, it would not let me clear or quote someone else. I had to copy and paste into notepad and refresh the page to get th equotes.

It's truly astounding how badly they ****ed this forum up. shock and awe.

The server change and software upgrade was necessary. vBulletin 4.x has bugs and security problems that will never be fixed.

I'm at the point where I'm going to ask you to stop complaining and insulting the volunteers who make this happen, and who also happen to be paying the bills for it. If you can't do that then it's time for you to take your complaining and insults somewhere else.

My intent was not to insult volunteers, plural. I do have a problem with certain personnel who to this day abuse their "authority" and go stormtrooper on anyone who dares criticize their employer, who henceforth will be referred to as Goolog. Because that's what they hope to create, a digital gulag.

Whoever bears the blame, I've never seen such a drastic change for the bad. Nothing works as it used to. I'm not going to struggle to participate. And hence I will direct my interests and time elsewhere.

Why in blazes start a thread like this anyway, if you have no intention or opportunity to change anything??? Just so you can tell people "it's our decision not yours"?

Where the hell is Stone's forum LOL. Anything would be an improvement over this. I'm out.

My intent was not to insult volunteers, plural. I do have a problem with certain personnel who to this day abuse their "authority" and go stormtrooper on anyone who dares criticize their employer, who henceforth will be referred to as Goolog. Because that's what they hope to create, a digital gulag.

+1 to this

Whoever bears the blame, I've never seen such a drastic change for the bad. Nothing works as it used to. I'm not going to struggle to participate. And hence I will direct my interests and time elsewhere.

Why in blazes start a thread like this anyway, if you have no intention or opportunity to change anything??? Just so you can tell people "it's our decision not yours"?

Where the hell is Stone's forum LOL. Anything would be an improvement over this. I'm out.

This thread is about the forum upgrades, which really have not been universally well received, but honestly it needed to be done. We've heard the multitudes of complaints. We've also heard quite a few insults, and once again, if you don't like what we are offering then please leave. We try to respond to constructive criticism but with that last post you are just insulting people. (Again.)

We don't allow anybody to malign any other entity here, large or small. People who rant against Google, Microsoft, eBay, etc. all get the same warning - it reflects poorly on the rest of us. If my style of moderation is what you call being a stormtrooper, then you have a lot to learn about what real stormtroopers do.

It's been fun having you. Goodbye.

I've "liberated" those two users from the horrors of this forum. I couldn't take their suffering anymore. (Read: They were banned because enough is enough.)

We take constructive criticism. We take criticism about things we can't fix immediately because we take notes and we may be able to fix them later. But I and the other volunteers are not here to take abuse from randos on the Internet hiding behind aliases.

Please participate respectfully, or don't participate. The two liberated users can write an email to somebody on the VCFed board of directors if they want to communicate. (I would suggest erik@vcfed.org, the originator of this thread.)

No idea what this is referring too. Guess I haven't been here long enough.

Whoever bears the blame, I've never seen such a drastic change for the bad. Nothing works as it used to.

Well, MY workflow has not changed in any dramatic way. I can't speak for others. The singular change that "impacts" me, and its minor at best, is not having a ready demarcation of posts from when I last visited.

My workflow is visit the site, click on new topics, Alt-Click the "latest post" message on each thread I'm interested in, visit each time it due course, and move on.

At the start it took me several visits to find the log in facility at the top of the page. It was curious how I poked around and could not force it to want to log me in (since I could readily find the login functionality at the beginning). Now I'm logged in, I guess I clicked "remember me" and I stay logged in, so that hurdle is past. I agree with others in that I don't really care for the login system.

I can't seem to multi-quote, as in, select Quote on multiple messages so I can reply to several in a single message. This seems to be to be a bug. Maybe its the forum software, maybe it's that I'm on Desktop Safari. Can't say, not that important to me to hunt it down.

But at the moment, for me, multi-quoting doesn't work. This is not a crisis for me. But it's an issue enough to let the ops know that its happening, maybe in time it can be looked in to.

To gather things that they may well be able to do something about. To collect reports that perhaps they can go to the VB site and look for solutions.

I don't know if the Social Media buttons are an "out of the box" function of VB, or an option that they selected. They may well want social media buttons everywhere vs "we don't know how to turn them off". That kind of transparency would be useful.

It would be nice in a few weeks to see a "state of the forum" post that addresses peoples concerns and answers them. I don't think cocooning and avoiding is much of a solution.

But this is a place to gather those concerns.

HTTPS isn't going anywhere. That's a stark reality, and not negotiable.

But there's a difference between highlighting concerns and issues, and tossing out insults and outrage. Some say that the update is so egregious that they can't be civil. Which is of course nonsense. Anyone posting can take a beat and dial down the vitriol. This is not a "caught in the moment thing". There's a big button folks can CHOOSE to NOT PUSH after they re-read their post.

I'd like to request that this thread be closed, and a new thread meant for, and will only tolerate, bug reports. I submitted what I felt were reasonable -- and a few fairly serious -- bug reports, but I fear they were lost in the drama of this thread. I'd prefer they were given directed attention.

The wording of this thread left it open to opinions; I'd like one specifically for bug reports so that I know my voice is heard. I have no desire to participate in the forum after the upgrade due to some features that are simply not working that used to before. (These aren't "my wacko non-standard browser shows odd things" or "I can't login because I disable javascript for outdated reasons" complaints, but actual bugs that make the forum extremely difficult to use on a modern OS with a modern browser.)

Trixter,

Open a new thread for yours specific problems in the VCF Support area of the forum. ("https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/technical-support/vintage-computer-forum-support") A directed thread per issue makes more sense, and there are a few issued identified there already.

All ... Yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I work at Google. That is not a secret - go look me up on LinkedIn. I've also worked at IBM, Hitachi GST, and Western Digital. It's been a long and fruitful career. I post here (and everywhere) using my real name.

The forum policies remain the same. Be civil. Stay on topic. Don't do anything that puts VCFed in legal jeopardy, whether that be copyright violations or maligning others. You get the idea.

I've "liberated" those two users from the horrors of this forum. I couldn't take their suffering anymore. (Read: They were banned because enough is enough.)

We take constructive criticism. We take criticism about things we can't fix immediately because we take notes and we may be able to fix them later. But I and the other volunteers are not here to take abuse from randos on the Internet hiding behind aliases.

Please participate respectfully, or don't participate. The two liberated users can write an email to somebody on the VCFed board of directors if they want to communicate. (I would suggest erik@vcfed.org, the originator of this thread.)

Well, you can ban me too as I happen to dis-agree with your views and do agree with those you banned. So as long as I agree with you all is well, But disagree and we see what
happens.

Well, you can ban me too as I happen to dis-agree with your views and do agree with those you banned. So as long as I agree with you all is well, But disagree and we see what
happens.

/sigh ... this isn't rocket science.

Plenty of people have expressed frustration and disagree with forum policies, the upgrade, etc. We draw the line when people become abusive - there is no room for that there.

All,

To be clear, this kind of abusive behavior will not be tolerated, whether directed at the mods, or at other users. Nobody minds constructive criticism, and everyone has an off day, but I suspect that most can understand why what was said was not acceptable.

- Alex

This has gone off the rails. But to be honest what do you expect to happen when you lock people away from the world for 14+ months and then drastically change one of their favorite pastimes.

I think another thread needs to be opened where items of concern, bugs, or questions can be conveyed in a direct format. Another thread should be made for helping people find their way in the new forum as well as modifying the look and format of what they are seeing.

You have to go back to the front page! it says "mark channels read" Its at the Bottom. I think its a pain in the bottom.
Great thank you!

I never seen [ font ] [ /font ] in quotes at the previous forum software. That is a bit confusing when you want to quote just a piece of text from a person. I have to get used to that I think...

Is there a way to set the colours in the forum? I would like to set it a bit darker somehow...

Regards, Roland

Is there a way to set the colours in the forum? I would like to set it a bit darker somehow...
In your profile page, you should see a button labeled "Customize My Style".
That lets you select colors, but it is not as easy as setting a theme. It lets you specify colors for every little detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back