• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modcomp Bailey 1055 on eBay

...At this time printed circuit board layouts were still done by tape and mylar. :) ...
I have only done some hand layout in school in the early nineties. For very small boards. It just have to take massive amount of time, right? Rip up and retry? I have this big board in an old Incoterm terminal. Appears to be done by hand. Impressive.
pMOt09E.jpg

JDallas said:
...At this time printed circuit board layouts were still done by tape and mylar...
MattisLind said:
...It just have to take massive amount of time, right? Rip up and retry?...
Back then we had contractors that would do all our circuit board layouts. They'd use a large drafting table sometimes a light table with sheets of mylar onto which they'd add black tape and stickers special made for circuit board layout. The original were something like 8x the size of the board, so that it was easier to work with, except for flipping to layers of mylar. The final gerber prints were made photographically from the mylar and tape and reduced to actual size.

I only taped two small boards in those years and both at 1x instead of 8x size. One was a special keyboard layout for a control panel, with a 8048 I programed, for the Columbus Project at Johnson Controls where I worked as a co-op student during college (alternating semesters between full-time college and full-time work with night classes) and another for small board on a contract job-on-the-side.

Problems I've Had With PCB Layout Contractors:
I've done a lot of my own board design layouts in CAD since 1998. As I studied drafting in the mid 70s and did drafting work at Texas Instruments before going to college, its an easy thing for me and I can do it a lot faster and with less compromise than the PCB layout contractors I tried to use. I find that pcb layout contractors say something is "impossible" when they mean that wouldn't be easy and as profitable for them to do. That I did it anyway proves it wasn't impossible. :)

PCB Layout contractors also try to make each board of an assembly a separate contract - no way! Instead I bought PADs and did it myself with all the boards on the same panel with a snap-line to separate them AFTER SMT pick-and-place automated assembly, through-hole item insertion and wave-solder. The contractor's method would have also added extra labor hand-soldering the board connecting flex cables whereas my solution had it done in a single pass, tested, and *then* snapped apart and assembled onto the mechanical mounts.

In other words, all the flex cables were done by the single wave solder pass and the boards were all electrically connected allowing them to be tested before snapping them apart. My first board in PADs was a 6 layer panel with five snap-off boards, two or which were small external connector adapters. The prototype run included a test fixture card snap-off used to program the micro's firmware. I learned how to squeeze cost out of a design at Tandy. :)

Mylar & Tape Layout Methodology:
From what I saw of our mylar and tape pcb layout contractor back in 1982 doing board layouts on mylar and tape, it involved a lot of heuristics on what you do first and where you put certain traces on the board so that you minimized ripping up tape when you'd otherwise hit a dead-end. They'd sketch difficult traces through the layers before going back and taping it. They'd work over a grid behind the mylar and use registration marks so the mylar could be carefully aligned for vias (he may have used a thin punch or X-Acto blade point to tack a position through the mylar for aligning vias). Our boards didn't use wavy traces, they used 45 degree radials. This type of printed circuit board layout was fascinating to see, but it was a very slow process.

In contrast, the board I did at S.D.Systems was packed with chips... hardly any space between the sockets. Initially we used a contractor to do the layout by hand but after about 3 months (at least it seemed that long if it wasn't) he was stuck. To get a board we allowed him to put a patch of one of the planes on the back of the board and he delivered the entire power plane on the solderside - which under no circumstance would be acceptable. We punted that and had a 6 layer board (including the power and ground planes) done by CAD layout in Atlanta. They did a wonderful job.

Trinkets From The Age Of Hand-Layout PCBs:
I think I've got the prototype we built of the hand layout of the S.D.Systems board; someone did a full chip build of it anyway. I may have some of the final layout's 6x4 foot gerber prints of each layer too. I used to hang the set on the wall behind my desk as technology art.

Last edited:
Looks like nobody stepped up and bought it, hate to think because of its size and location this thing is going to be cut up for scrape value. What do you suppose the scrap or gold recovery value of something like that is?
At some point it’s important to know that sort of information because that gives an idea of what someone can offer the sellers of this sort of hardware where the seller will still make a profit beyond scraping the system.
Back in the eighties during the first gold boom remember visiting a place up in Philadelphia where they were recycling equipment for gold and it was no small process. Everything had to be disassembled, broken apart and then rolled in drums for some amount of time so there was a lot of labor and floor space involved. At that time they were getting new IBM system 360 that were all pelleted and ready for shipping and chopping them up, along with tons of other military and government stuff.

Qbus said:
...Looks like nobody...bought it, hate to think...this thing is going to be cut up for scrap value.
That isn't a gold scrap treasure, its a vintage chips treasure. Each ModComp Classic board is literally packed to integrated circuits. That use for it is at another price-break, certainly not at $7K. Either they'll donate it, scrap it, or re-list it at a more reasonable price. Anyone interested at $2K?

With a lot of effort I could dismantle it and cram it in my car but it was simply far too expensive for me to justify.

Hi All;
I agree with JDallas, "" That isn't a gold scrap treasure, its a vintage chips treasure. ""
And IF I had the money I would save it for the IC's, and of course trying to get it working again..
But, it would be near impossible telling that to the guy who is selling it, He is only looking to make the Big Bucks off of it..
Thanks, JDallas..

THANK YOU Marty

Its back, and this time with no reserve and a bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODCOMP-BAI...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3ce898f7a3

There is also an 11/04 for $500 but they never get the love that the binky light systems get. I have an 11/34 have to say that the octal keypad is surprisingly functional, way more fun than the two switches and three lights on the 11/23. Someday hope to be one of the “in” crowd and have something like an 11/05 with switches and lights. Perhaps that’s the appeal of the Bailey?

Whoever buys it I hope they know they're getting the raw CPU and not a lot else, unless someone fell for the GOLD RECOVERY title and is about to be screwed into buying up to $150 in scrap gold and $850 in scrap steel, in which case I can call them a tool.

Instead on pitching gold recovery, they should have pitched it was a 16 bit-slice evaluation board.
Should include a note: "Buyer must be able to read schematics to write his own custom assembler."

Hi All;
"" they should have pitched it was a 16 bit-slice evaluation board. ""
Seeing a Bit-Slice machine, I decided to get out my 2900 Evaluation and Learning Board.. And after Replacing a Switch, and 7 Leds, As far as I can tell it still works..
I have Not Located the Manual for it, So I don't know how to Set it up and Run it..
Does anyone know how to set one of these up and see if it still working..

THANK YOU Marty

Seeing a Bit-Slice machine, I decided to get out my 2900 Evaluation and Learning Board.. And after Replacing a Switch, and 7 Leds, As far as I can tell it still works..
I have Not Located the Manual for it, So I don't know how to Set it up and Run it..
Does anyone know how to set one of these up and see if it still working..

There is good documentation including the manual:
http://www.donnamaie.com/AMD_Vintage/AMD_2900_ED2900A.html

Here is a schematic:

http://www.giga.nl/walter/computers/Am2900.pdf

Hi All;
Thank You Dave M, I had already been to that site, But for some reason , I either didn't see the rest of the listing, or I din't page down enough on that page, or for some reason I got a limited version of that page..
I did have the schematic copied, which helped me find out what a missing Ic I had was..
I got it, now to look at it.. THANK YOU Dave !!!
It doesn't seem to work, will check all the standard stuff, corrosion, and bent pins and bad Ic's..
No corrosion, and no bent pins.. I will follow the check out procedure in the assembly instructions..
It looks like I got it working, alot of little things, nothing major..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Whoever buys it I hope they know they're getting the raw CPU and not a lot else, unless someone fell for the GOLD RECOVERY title and is about to be screwed into buying up to $150 in scrap gold and $850 in scrap steel, in which case I can call them a tool.

From what I see of the pictures, $1000 in gold scrap is quite reasonable.

The stuff isn't $250/oz anymore!

--
Will

Back