• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Big Blues

1. B

Here's a great computer game for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs
  2. B

PC jr's

Well, the deed is done. I'm now the very happy owner of a couple PC jr's and other misc hardware/software. I met Gary (aka Despair) down at the Michigan/Ontario border today. Unfortunately he got caught up in Canadian customs for a couple hours while they tried to figure out what a PC jr is...
  3. B

Geoworks

All this talk about OS/2 got me wondering if anyone else ever used Geoworks on the PC? I used Geowork Pro for at least a couple years. Their word processor and desktop publisher apps were great. Multitasking was better than MS. It was one slick GUI at even ran decently on 8088's...
  4. B

Canadian humoUr

Check out the question in this auction http://cgi.ebay.ca/Atari-520ST-Computer-System-Atari-Monitor-Vintage_W0QQitemZ250177423604QQihZ015QQcategoryZ82631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  5. B

So, what have you fried?

I'm curious what computers/parts people have managed to fry out of their own fault? The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head was a 286 board back in oh 1995 or so, maybe 1994. I was changing video cards, and when I turned the system back on - nothing. Power supply fan fired...
  6. B

VoIP

Ok, here's a funny thing I heard at work this week. Apparently in the US, there's a cable company selling VoIP without internet access. So they come in and setup a cable modem, and restrict all ports except VoIP ports. There's some customers who are still happy with their analog/dial-up...
  7. B

Thoughts of downsizing

Does anyone ever think much about downsizing their collection? I don't have a very large collection, but I've been having thoughts of downsizing it lately (and probably will). I've got systems that I never use, and probably never will. They're just old and I picked them up somewhere. But...
  8. B

Ressurected a PS/2 Mod 70

About a month ago I picked up a PS/2 Model 70 386 for $10. I was disappointed to see that the original 386DX/16 processor had been replaced with a Cyrix 486 upgrade. I was also disappointed (but not surprised) to see that the battery was dead, and therefore she wouldn't boot. A couple of...
  9. B

5150 Quiz

If you think you know 5150's, then let's see if you can give the correct answer to this problem. "Early level 5150 machines may not work properly with the color graphics adapter installed. The color monitor will not display color but will display black and white. The problem may occur with...
  10. B

Latest acquisitions

I haven't been around much since my son was born a couple months ago. Not much time for hobbies, but somehow I've still gathered some more machines. The latest machines include: - Sun Sparcstation IPC - Sun Sparcstation 2 - Sun Sparcstation 20 - Tandy 1000 - IBM PS/2 mod 70 386 - Generic 386...
  11. B

Old-school overclocking

Here's a question for you... Has anyone ever tried over-clocking their old machines. I remember back in the early 90's, overclocking a 6MHz 5170 to 8MHz. That was back in the days where overclocking involved replacing the crystal (which IBM was nice enough to make socketed). Also tried 9MHz...
  12. B

Another collector

Howdy all, I'm yet another collector. I've been collecting for years, but have never put too much effort into the collection. Now that I see the value of some of the stuff, I wish I did :P. My first computer was an IBM PCjr back in the day, which I took a programming course for at the age of...
Back