• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

PC Sprint variants

I recently saw where someone had redesigned the layout of the PC-Sprint so that it could fit in his XT clone. From what I remember, the normal PC-Sprint fouled an ISA slot in his computer, so it was redesigned with a long, thin PCB, with the 8284 chips in line. Unfortunately, I had foolishly...
  2. A

Jailbar removal for VIC-20, C-64, C-128

I have just completed documenting my jailbar removal adventures here: https://a4000bear.neocities.org/jail/jail Here are a couple of examples:
  3. A

Cannot use EPROM to replace character ROM in 4032.

I was attempting to replace the character ROM with an EPROM in my 4032, and every attempt results in corrupt characters or screen layout. The severity depends on what brand of EPROM I use, and is consistent within different EPROMS of the same brand/type. For example, using any 2716 made by ST...
  4. A

Poking the C-64/VIC-20 inappropriately.

Back in the early 1980s, I stumbled across a poke that crashed my breadbin C-64 in a very spectacular fashion. It changed the screen and border colours randomly, sometimes put corrupt characters on the screen, then there was a shower of scrolling exclamation marks for several seconds before they...
  5. A

Replacement floppy drive for C128DCR/1571

I was recently given a rather bruised and battered C128DCR, which was missing its floppy drive. It also came with a 1571 drive. After restoring the C128, I decided to transfer the drive mechanism from the 1571 into the C128DCR, to make a complete unit. Unfortunately the drive didn't work. It...
  6. A

Pettester fail

I have had zero success in getting the pettester ROM to work in either of my two PETs. While both machines are now operational, the failure to get the pettester to work at all is bugging me. Originally I tried to use it in a 4032 PET. I used a special hacked version of the pettester that is...
  7. A

Another PET 2001-8 for restoration

I have just received an incomplete PET 2001-8 for my collection. It is missing the power transformer and possibly associated parts. The large sticker on the front is also missing. I guess the kids from the high school it used to belong to ripped it off many years ago. Before I attempt...
  8. A

A Peculiar Pet

I recently scored a CBM 4016, with the universal motherboard and 12" monitor. It was completely non functional, though very occasionally it would give a weird beeping on power up, completely different to the normal chirp. There was no display. I found one of the Basic ROMs was faulty ( UD8 )...
  9. A

A1000 cannot access hard drive in A1060 Sidecar

About 10 years ago I was given an NOS A1060 Amiga Sidecar that had spent its entire life in a store display, never powered up. I had it in storage until recently as I did not have an A1000 to connect it to. Now that I have an A1000, it is time to get them working together. The A1000 is a PAL...
Back