• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

HP735 (not mine)

I saw two of these HP 9000 workstation on eBay (US) - I am not associated with the seller(s), but these don't seem to come up too often and I thought I would pass the information along, since I'm not going after them. They do seem to be in nice shape, but for something untested, I would...
  2. J

How I started up my ZP-150 - or what I did over holiday break.

One of my first computers back in the day was a Tandy 200, and a few years later, I replaced it with a Tandy 600. Why not, right? More contiguous memory, a floppy drive and it had an 80 character screen. Unfortunately, it was not quite the 'upgrade' that I was looking for and although I...
  3. J

AlphaServer 2100 - hookup/startup after long storage

I have an AlphaServer that I got several years ago that has been in storage (mostly climate controlled) since an estimated mid 2000's time-frame. I would like to attempt a start-up, but I would also like to avoid destroying its components in the process. I don't believe that I'm overly...
  4. J

HP85a with a few intermittent keys - looking for refurb advice.

I have an HP85a that is in pretty nice shape (I'm aware of the drive capstan issues that older tape drives have, but that is for another day). I'd like to know if anyone knows the proper method for taking apart keys on the keyboard and refreshing them. I've got a few keys that sometimes work...
  5. J

looking for schematics, service manual or just more info on the Grid 140XT

In the Tandy forum there is a thread that is searching for how to resurrect a Tandy 1400HD, once the PSU has failed. One of the chief issues is that there is no schematic or service manual for the Tandy 1400HD and that these have little to no similarity with the Tandy 1400FD or 1400LT. While...
  6. J

Compaq Portable Plus memory check question, and another question, and one more...

Originally, when powered on, my Compaq Portable Plus yielded this error code on the display: 1000 201 According to the Maintenance and Service manual, that indicated an error with U38 1000 201 Bank 1, Parity Bit U38 Replace System Board So, I replaced U38 (an OKI M3764A-15), repaired a...
  7. J

Difficulty adding CF card to PacBell Legend 20CD

I have a PB Legend 20CD that mostly works - I've replaced the backup battery and added in a couple of sticks of RAM. It boots from the floppy into either MS-DOS 5 (the Packard Bell one) or 6.22, but it doesn't boot from the hard drive and as it turns out, I cannot get it to boot from a CF card...
  8. J

Has anyone seen this book? "The secrets of ROM revealed"

I was reading an old Portable 100 magazine from April of 1989 and there was a review of the book, "The secrets of ROM revealed". I can't find an eBook version or any other reference to it online, nor can I find the physical book on eBay. The review hints at the fun you can have burning ROMs...
  9. J

Apple ][+ white screen issues

I recently got two Apple ]['s the older one works fine, but the ][+ shows a white screen, but otherwise boots normally. The cursor shows as a blinking black square on white and entering characters on the keyboard advances the cursor on the white screen and system beeps, resets, etc seem to...
  10. J

Tandy AC Adapter repair question

I got a Tandy 600 along with its original AC adapter. Like all new (old) acquisitions, I tested the output of the adapter prior to using it and it had an output over 10V, which is quite a bit higher than the 8V, 1.5A it is supposed to put out. When I opened it up, it was fairly simple...
  11. J

Recovering TS-DOS TPDD formatted floppy

I received a floppy with a Tandy 200 some time back that that is for TS-DOS (a disk operating system for the TPDD from Traveling Software). At the time, neither the computer nor the TPDD that came with it worked. I finally got around to fixing the Tandy Portable Floppy Drive (belt replaced)...
Back