• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Change bearings in RL01 drive?

Is there someone here that has changed bearings in a RL01 drive? The bearings in the disc spindle in one of my drives sounds bad and generates vibrations. From what I can see the belt pully is pressed on the axis. I guees heat, a puller and a hydralic press is good tools to have. It seams like...
  2. A

RK05 problems

I had my RK05 working, but now it wan't pass the MAINDECS anymore. It fails the "drive control test" at address 3277: http://svn.so-much-stuff.com/svn/trunk/pdp8/src/maindec/08/dhrkb-e-d.pdf As I understand it all data written to the disk and is verified in the test before. The test that fails...
  3. A

New limited function board for PDP8a with MOS memory

A friend of mine got parts to build a small PDP-8a/100 with MOS memory. After some time he figured out that the limited function panel didn't work, it was for a core memory machine! I draw a new one, it should be possible to move the components from a core-board to this new one. I built mine...
  4. A

Looking for an omnibus extender board

I'm looking for an omnibus extension board or flexible top connectors. I want to get access to the component side of the middle board of a RK8E board set (M7105). Either I need to put two boards on extenders (have one) or I'll need top connectors with a flat cable in between the connectors (have...
  5. A

What is DB08?

I found this backplane in a box. I know what a DB08-E is, but is this something similar? For which 8-series computer was this used? I tried to find something on bitsavers on it but didn't succeed.
  6. A

RK05 fan blower motor

I'm restoring a RK05 drive, but have a problem with the fan. It rotates, but really slow. The motor capacitor is fine. The motor gets crazy hot, over 100 degrees Celsius within minutes. I have opened up the motor and its has at least one burned winding. The fan assembly is this one...
  7. A

A new G888 manchester read/write module

Well, this is something I have been struggling with for almost four years! The history starts in 2014 when I was given a PDP-9 computer. Almost immediately I realized that the paper tapes and magnetic tapes must be preserved. I also realized that I had a long way to go if I would use the PDP-9...
  8. A

Document scanning

After having been introduced to Vince MAINDEC archive (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?63733-Dec-RK8E-controller-for-RK05-wanted&p=536702#post536702) I started to invent my PDP-8 paper tapes and documentation. There are some items that needs to be scanned and some paper tapes to be...
  9. A

BC08H Cables

Hi, I need a pair of BC08H cables for expanding my pdp-8a omnibus. Are those hard to find? I have drawn a new set of boards that I intend to order if I can't get the real thing. Is there anybody that would be interested if I make some boards? The boards that I plan to build uses regular flat...
  10. A

I scanned DEC ads, what to share

Follow this link to download 600dpi scans: https://www.pdp-9.net/old-computer-ads
  11. A

DEC power supply 725 going hot in TU56H

I'm about to restore a TU56H Dectape drive. So far I have been cleaned it up a bit, replaced the motor capacitors. I have slowly reformed the big capacitors in the power supply and yesterday I tried it for the first time. I got really hot! Looking at the schematics there are a 100 Ohms resistor...
  12. A

PDP-8a boot ROM's for os8serialdisk

I have built and restored another PDP8a system during the late winter and the spring. More to read: http://www.pdp-9.net/pdp-8a-100 I also made boot ROM's for the KM8-A card so that I can boot OS/8 using Kyle Owen's os8diskserver with just a push on the boot button on the frontpanel. If someone...
  13. A

Yet another PDP-8/E on Ebay

This is not mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-PDP-8-E-Rare-Vintage-MiniComputer-Working-Complete-and-Fully-Loaded/273082217116 I wander how much this will go for.
  14. A

PUTR problems

First, I think I have read that you could run PUTR in dosbox under Linux to modify disk images. I have tried this but PUTR just seams to hang. I tried the same thing on an old dos machine and it ran as expected. Is it expected to work to run PUTR under dosbox/Linux? Second, the image I made on...
  15. A

My PDP-8a work continues

I have erlier written about some work I recently did on my PDP-8A. It started with a CPU change from KK8A to KK8E which I wrote about in another thread. Change CPU in a PDP-8A from KK8A -> KK8E Then I tried to do a small write up on the PDP-8a on my web-page. After the KK8E-change I finally...
  16. A

Change CPU in a PDP-8A from KK8A -> KK8E

I got my hands on a working KK8E CPU set. I tried to swap out the KK8A CPU to the KK8E but when I started the machine with the KK8E nothing worked. Quite soon I found a broken fuse on one the top G0018 regulator board. After replacing the fuse and swapped back to the KK8A CPU everything works as...
Back