• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Printing international characters on typewriter printers (WPDOS 6.2)

Hi, I'm trying to print from WordPerfect 6.2 (DOS) to my Hermes Toptronic 15, which is a simple typewriter with a printer interface. This works fine, with the exception of international characters (æ, ø, å). They're just replaced with a blank space. Print preview shows the same issue. Writing...
  2. M

Does this printer support Centronics interface? Qume Letter Pro Plus

So I have this printer that seemingly, based on the connector (50 pin micro ribbon), uses some kind of SCSI/SASI interface. However, the connector on the back is replaceable (it connects to a 50 pin edge connector on an interface card inside the printer). Also, in the lid of the printer...
  3. M

Certain screen columns repeating themselves (text)

Ok, I realized I didn't measure the correct pin. So here's Φ2 on the 8224 which is TTL clock out: Looks ok, but is rise time a bit long here? I also measured CLK OUT from the 8085 CPU. It seems to drift a bit, but I have no idea if that really matters or not:
  4. M

Thanks for taking the time, Chuck(G), I knew I probably had missed something obvious. Please pardon my poor skills! Had a quick session before having to go to the office (groan), if anyone would like to comment on the measurements here it would be great as this is new territory for me. The...
  5. M

Hi, don't know exactly what to make of this, I was sitting in the evening typing on my word processor (Raytheon VT302), and then suddenly the screen glitched, different characters were shown and I quickly decided I should let it rest. So I did let it cool overnight, thinking it might be a...
  6. M

B3-18A Soviet Engineering Calculator

So I've replaced all the capacitors, except one that puzzles me. All the other ones had polarity markings both on the capacitor and the board, but this one doesn't. It's markings are similar to the others, but missing polarity. Capacitance meter says 12µF (reading is "10M" which I assume stands...
  7. M

Hello from Oslo, Norway

Hi! I'm an '83 (I guess that makes me a millenial) having recently resumed my hobby of collecting, restoring and programming old computers. It started in my teens basically, I would drool over 286's and 8088's and collect a decent amount. Then I got a wife and kid, and some got lost -- until...
  8. M

B3-18A Soviet Engineering Calculator

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum. It's certainly something portable, and I guess it was quite the ace back in its day.. A Russian colleague of mine is moving on to a new position, so I thought I should find him gift. I ended up getting hold of a B3-18 revision A, the first...
  9. M

How to remove cylinder from Qume LetterProPlus printer?

I'm trying to open up a Qume LetterProPlus daisy wheel printer, but in order to do so it seems I have to take away the roller, or at least the handles holding them. The screws that hold the roller in place is positioned so that the handles nonetheless must be removed first, but I have no idea...
  10. M

Raytheon VT302

I've recapped the PSU now - my first recapping, so I stood ready with fire extinguisher and a lump in my throat - but it all went rather well. Only issue is some caps are larger than the original, so it got a bit cramped in there. Note the "Kemet" cap, I've never heard about this brand and it...
  11. M

Calculator recommendations?

The other day I realized that it was very tiresome (and impractical) to use my limited phone calculator for a lot of quick things I need to calculate when I'm working on stuff. So I (naturally) started looking at vintage calculators, before realizing that the calculator I actually have the...
  12. M

Which oscilloscope to choose?

I've been thinking about getting an oscilloscope for quite some time, as my trusty old multimeter can only tell me so much, and there are instances where it would be really nice to have a better visualization of what's going on. Obviously, scopes are not cheap - there are marked differences...
  13. M

IBM 6580 has arrived...

What rig do you use to connect an 8" drive to your PC?
  14. M

IBM 6580 has arrived...

Awesome machine!! :D How are you planning to transfer files to the PC? Does it have a serial port?
  15. M

Osborne 1 how to enable 80 column mode?

Hi, I'm trying to enable 80 column mode on my Osborne 1 screen pac - after some googling, I realized that the SETUP.COM on my system disks was too old, and that I needed a newer version. I'm not sure how to get hold of this, but then I thought I could probably modify the IOBYTE to achieve the...
  16. M

Raytheon VT302

Chuck(G), you nudged me in the right direction I guess.. :) so I've taken out and opened the PSU and removed all the electrolytic capacitors. Seems like the power supply has replaceable modules for the three voltage levels: This is the main part of the power supply: I managed to remove all...
  17. M

Weird printer cable (special Centronics type?) Kontiki-100 - Star Gemini 10X

So I randomly stumbled upon something that ended up being a very unplanned purchase (and, as with these machines, a parental responsibility). The machine is a Kontiki-100 with a Start Micronics Gemini 10X dot matrix printer. However, I don't have the cable for the printer - I suspect it's a...
  18. M

Raytheon VT302

Time for PSU Time for PSU So I had been thinking for some time that perhaps I should check the power supply, since this thing is pretty old. My skills are limited, however, and although I know capacitors (and other components) can and will fail over time (and tremendously so in a power...
  19. M

5.25" drive repair help

Thanks! :) I'll try that as soon as I get time this evening. MikeS: It's a Qume drive, double density as far as I know. Not sure about the model number, as seen the serial # is 110208. Here's a picture of the board: Chuck(G): A bit unrelated perhaps, but how do you make the attached images...
  20. M

5.25" drive repair help

Hi, one of the floppy drives of a system I recently got hold of made this "tac tac tac" noise while the disk was in and spinning. I identified the culprit being a ring of some sort between the big white thing that pushes the disk down so it starts spinning when you close the drive (sorry, I...
Back