• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Printing international characters on typewriter printers (WPDOS 6.2)

Hi, I'm trying to print from WordPerfect 6.2 (DOS) to my Hermes Toptronic 15, which is a simple typewriter with a printer interface. This works fine, with the exception of international characters (æ, ø, å). They're just replaced with a blank space. Print preview shows the same issue. Writing...
  2. M

Does this printer support Centronics interface? Qume Letter Pro Plus

So I have this printer that seemingly, based on the connector (50 pin micro ribbon), uses some kind of SCSI/SASI interface. However, the connector on the back is replaceable (it connects to a 50 pin edge connector on an interface card inside the printer). Also, in the lid of the printer...
  3. M

Certain screen columns repeating themselves (text)

Hi, don't know exactly what to make of this, I was sitting in the evening typing on my word processor (Raytheon VT302), and then suddenly the screen glitched, different characters were shown and I quickly decided I should let it rest. So I did let it cool overnight, thinking it might be a...
  4. M

Hello from Oslo, Norway

Hi! I'm an '83 (I guess that makes me a millenial) having recently resumed my hobby of collecting, restoring and programming old computers. It started in my teens basically, I would drool over 286's and 8088's and collect a decent amount. Then I got a wife and kid, and some got lost -- until...
  5. M

B3-18A Soviet Engineering Calculator

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum. It's certainly something portable, and I guess it was quite the ace back in its day.. A Russian colleague of mine is moving on to a new position, so I thought I should find him gift. I ended up getting hold of a B3-18 revision A, the first...
  6. M

How to remove cylinder from Qume LetterProPlus printer?

I'm trying to open up a Qume LetterProPlus daisy wheel printer, but in order to do so it seems I have to take away the roller, or at least the handles holding them. The screws that hold the roller in place is positioned so that the handles nonetheless must be removed first, but I have no idea...
  7. M

Calculator recommendations?

The other day I realized that it was very tiresome (and impractical) to use my limited phone calculator for a lot of quick things I need to calculate when I'm working on stuff. So I (naturally) started looking at vintage calculators, before realizing that the calculator I actually have the...
  8. M

Which oscilloscope to choose?

I've been thinking about getting an oscilloscope for quite some time, as my trusty old multimeter can only tell me so much, and there are instances where it would be really nice to have a better visualization of what's going on. Obviously, scopes are not cheap - there are marked differences...
  9. M

Osborne 1 how to enable 80 column mode?

Hi, I'm trying to enable 80 column mode on my Osborne 1 screen pac - after some googling, I realized that the SETUP.COM on my system disks was too old, and that I needed a newer version. I'm not sure how to get hold of this, but then I thought I could probably modify the IOBYTE to achieve the...
  10. M

Weird printer cable (special Centronics type?) Kontiki-100 - Star Gemini 10X

So I randomly stumbled upon something that ended up being a very unplanned purchase (and, as with these machines, a parental responsibility). The machine is a Kontiki-100 with a Start Micronics Gemini 10X dot matrix printer. However, I don't have the cable for the printer - I suspect it's a...
  11. M

5.25" drive repair help

Hi, one of the floppy drives of a system I recently got hold of made this "tac tac tac" noise while the disk was in and spinning. I identified the culprit being a ring of some sort between the big white thing that pushes the disk down so it starts spinning when you close the drive (sorry, I...
  12. M

Raytheon VT302

Hello, first poster here.. Found this site while looking around for info on my new machine, and decided I had to post this (plus I'm a big vintage computer fan with no forum memberships, so why not!) I recently got hold of a strange machine that it took some real google-fu to figure out what...
Back