• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

IBM 3101 Terminal Monitor Help

Hello everyone! I believe I posted this in the wrong category so here it is in the hardware help page! I recently picked up a IBM 3101 terminal monitor for cheap and thought it could be a fun project to get it working. I have experience making VGA video generators, so I know some things about...
  2. R

IBM 3101 Terminal Monitor

Hello everyone! I recently picked up a IBM 3101 terminal monitor for cheap and thought it could be a fun project to get it working. I have experience making VGA video generators, so I know some things about sync signals and timing but Im certainly no expert. I thought it would be fun to try to...
  3. R

Keyboard Compatibility

I have an Apple II plus with a broken keyboard and an Apple IIe I keep for parts. Can I use the IIe keyboard in the II+ safely without damaging the circuits or will I have to buy a new keyboard?
  4. R

IBM 5150 Power Supply Recreation

Hello all! I just picked up a nice early 5150 with all original components! While I am waiting for some new RAM to arrive, I decided to test the power supply, which doesn't work. :( I have another power supply, but I want to replace the early one with a modern, more efficient one. The only...
  5. R

IBM PC/AT Compact Flash Issues

Hello all, after seeing the wonders of replacing hard drives with compact flash cards, I decided to try it for myself. Recently, My lovely PC/AT had a hard drive crash, so this is the perfect time to try it out! I installed a brand new 16-bit IDE adapter with floppy controller and (from what...
  6. R

Macintosh Plus Keyboard Issue

I recently picked up a good looking Mac Plus from eBay, with 2.5MB of RAM, external floppy drive, and keyboard and mouse. The system works great and boots to System 6.0.7, but the keyboard has an issue. Specifically the 'm', ';', 'q', and 'p' keys sometimes do not work. The latter two never work...
  7. R

Help Identifying MCA Card

It’s not a SCSI connector, but a DB40. Here’s some more pictures.
  8. R

Help Identifying MCA Card

I recently got a IBM Micro Channel card with a PS/2 Model 80, but I’m having trouble identifying it. The seller stated it was a “89F8891 PSPI Card” but I cannot find any markings other than the aforementioned assembly number. When the computer boots without it, it doesn’t error; with it, it...
  9. R

Apple IIe Character Display Issue

I recently received an Apple IIe from a friend who was cleaning out his house. It was decent condition but quite dirty, so I cleaned it well. My problem now is the display, specifically what it displays. The computer powers on to the basic prompt and beings displaying random characters...
  10. R

Best CF Adapter and Card for XT-IDE?

Hello all! After watching many videos on the XT-IDE, I decided to dust of my soldering iron and purchase a kit. However, I need some advice on what CF adapter and card to purchase for an IBM PC. I previously purchased a rather cheap-looking adapter and card and could not get them working in an...
  11. R

IBM 5170 and CF Card

Hello, the MFM Drive in my PC/AT recently had a head crash and I want to replace it with a CF card. I happened to have a generic ISA IDE card so I decided to give that a try. However, the AT refuses to turn on with the CF card in the IDE to CF adapter. When the adapter is plugged in alone (CF...
  12. R

IBM Personal Computer Family Plastics

Hello, I am curious about the plastics used in the IBM PC family. I have a few Apple machines that are badly yellow, but all my IBM machines maintain their original white color. In fact, I have never seen an IBM PC with yellow plastics on eBay or in collector’s photos. I read somewhere that...
  13. R

IBM Motherboard will not boot.

I have a IBM motherboard with a Pentium 75MHz that refuses to boot or enter setup. It goes through the post routine and whether I press F1 to enter setup or not, a blank screen appears with a the number 67 and a blinking cursor. I have tried swapping the memory, unplugging all drives, and...
  14. R

Intel Above Board DIP Switches

In another thread, I discussed a few issues I had with my new IBM PC/AT. Inside the computer was an Intel Above Board containing 640k of memory. This, plus the 512k onboard made for 640k base and 512k expanded (forgive me if I get the terms wrong). I have 16 more 256kbit (total of 512k) memory...
  15. R

IBM PC/AT Problems

Hello, I recently purchased an IBM PC/AT system and I have many questions. It is a later model, manufactured on September 6, 1986 according to a small tag inside the machine. It has a 30MB Seagate hard drive, 3.5" 1.44MB floppy (A:), 5.25" 1.2MB floppy (B:), 512k motherboard, IBM CGA graphics...
  16. R

AT Keyboard Adapter

Hello, I recently bought an IBM AT system but I do not have a compatible keyboard. I could by a cheap clone, but I would like to know if it is possible to build an adapter to use a PS/2 keyboard with the system. I did some research, but did not come to a conclusion if the two protocols are...
  17. R

Looking for IBM 5150 Case

I have an IBM 5150 Rev A, but the case is in horrible shape: paint is scratched and there is what looks to be knife marks in the front. If anyone is willing to sell, I would like to purchase a new case for the system, nothing inside. There's one on eBay I'm looking at for $130, but I wanted...
  18. R

IBM PC DOS Boot Disks

Hello all, I have recently acquired a gorgeous stock IBM PC A model with 64k of RAM. I attempted to create IBM and MS DOS 1.x boot disks but to no avail. Does anyone know how I could do this without buying some original disks? Thanks
  19. R

IBM PC EPROM Programmer

Hello all, not sure if this is hardware or software, but... I recently got a lot of vintage EPROMs and other ICs like a 6502. In the lot there was an 8-bit ISA card that appears to be an EPROM programmer interface. It even came with the socket for the chips and a cable to connect the two. With a...
  20. R

IBM PC Software

I recently picked up a gorgeous IBM 5150 with a matching 5151 monitor at a garage sale for $30 and $20 respectively. The system is a revision A with a full 64k of RAM and completely stock, with a date code of March 1982. When powered on, the computer boots to BASIC v1.0. All I need is some...
Back