• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

IBM PC/5150 Memory Issues

A strange bug to have, that's for sure. Anyways, I populated each bank one at a time and let the system boot to BASIC and each time I got the "correct" amount (28.5k for two banks, 45k for three) and finally, after populating the fourth, it worked! Prior to this I was getting a 4098 201 error...
  2. B

IBM CGA Card Artifacting during Read/Writes to the Hard Disk

Unfortunately this is the only CGA card I have on-hand. So far it has only happened in SpinRite, but I also haven't ran many other programs with "graphics" outside of the DOS Shell. I do have it set to run in 80-Column mode, so that could be it. It's strange that it only happens during the...
  3. B

IBM PC/5150 Memory Issues

I recently acquired a "presumed dead" 5150 (64kb-256kb system board) for free earlier this week. Turns out the generic-brand high-wattage PSU someone swapped into it had died, (what an absolute surprise) and swapping in an IBM branded unit brought it right back to life. Since then though, I've...
  4. B

IBM CGA Card Artifacting during Read/Writes to the Hard Disk

I've been running SpinRite for the past half-hour and it has made me aware of a very strange issue with my CGA-equipped 5160 (early style IBM CGA adapter), that being that the display gets a nice (un)healthy dose of artifacts that I can only describe as "multi-colored hyphens" whenever the hard...
  5. B

Midwest WTB - IBM GXT-150 or GXT-100 Graphics Adapter + Riser

This is probably a longshot with how niche collecting RS/6000 seems to be, but I'm currently trying to track down one of the POWER series graphics adapters for my RS/6000 7011-250. Specifically I'm looking for the version that was designed to slot directly into the 7011's system board (pictured...
  6. B

Issues with formatting an ESDI drive on a PS/2 8560

That did it! They're both detected and working properly now. Honestly, setting them both to the same ID would have been my dead-last guess here. I assumed it functioned similar to MFM and wanted you to increment the drive IDs.
  7. B

Okay, here's where I stand... Both drives successfully low-level formatted using the modified LLFormat.com when connected individually, with their ID set to 2 and the terminator resistor installed. The RefDisk utility correctly shows "(1)ESDI Fixed Disk" and DOS sees each drive. However I still...
  8. B

Aha! It's formatting! Alright, so SpinRite didn't detect the drive at all, which once again left me confused and annoyed. After bumbling around a bit with a couple other utilities, I just decided to try and run the utility provided in the RefDisk again and this time after closing out the...
  9. B

Alright I think I made some progress. So far I've been trying to use the drives with their IDs set to either 0 or 1, because one would assume one of those would naturally be the "starting" ID and you would increment from there for additional drives. Out of curiosity though (or more accurately...
  10. B

That's what I've been trying; Loading the reference diskette, pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A and trying to run the format utility provided on the Reference Diskette. DOS doesn't detect a fixed disk at all. I think I'm starting to see why there aren't many of us around! Between all the work that goes...
  11. B

Alright, I tried using just one drive at a time with the terminator resistor in, tested them once with the ID set to 0 and 1, and I still haven't made any progress. I've also tried three controllers, two later style and one early style. Both of the later style controllers give a 10480 (drive 0...
  12. B

Hey all, I'm trying to get my Model 60 up and running, however I've found myself struggling to get the ESDI drives in this system functioning properly. I currently have it configured with two IBM 70Mb ESDI hard disks and the standard IBM ESDI Controller. I've pulled the terminator resistor out...
  13. B

Issues installing PC-DOS 4.01 onto my IBM 5160

So I'm currently trying to install PC-DOS 4.01 onto my 5160. I've written both 720k disks, however when prompted to insert the "Install" disk and press enter, setup doesn't seem to recognize the disk. I can still exit the setup and read and run programs off the disk normally, though I would...
  14. B

IBM 5170 - Trying to get my fixed disk to run as "Drive 0"

So I've been having a strange issue with my 5170 when trying to set up the hard disk. The system is equipped with the Quatel BIOS and I'm running the original combined floppy / hard drive controller alongside an IBM WD-25 connected to the "C" position on the cable, and I can't seem to get the...
  15. B

Need help configuring a pair of ISA Multi-Function Cards...

You know 'em, you love 'em, they add a clock, ports, memory and a thousand annoying, little jumpers and dip switches that aren't documented anywhere which makes configuring them an hours-long task, it's the multi-function expansion card. In all seriousness, I have four of these I'm rationing...
  16. B

Damaged ISA Card - How could I go about repairing it?

So I have a Persyst Time Spectrum 384L that had it's Varta barrel battery spew acid all over the board. After soaking it in vinegar for about eight hours I did manage to get all of the corrosion off, however I came to the realization that about a quarter of the RAM sockets and two sockets for...
  17. B

IBM Power Station 250 Memory Question

Hopefully an easy question to answer, though I haven't been able to find anything about it either way... I want to bring this system up to it's maximum memory capacity of 256Mb, but the 32Mb SIMMs (P/N 8184380) don't seem to be available anywhere. Are there other IBM 32Mb SIMMs that are...
  18. B

PS/2 Model 25-286 w/ Reply PowerBoard "Invalid Configuration"

Alright, so nearly a month later and I feel like I'm just banging my head against a wall with this system. I've tried just about everything I can think of from using different, known working diskette drives, swapping jumpers (FDC mode select and CMOS clear) and different disks to try and get it...
  19. B

PS/2 Model 60 error 10480, no ESDI drives detected.

So long story short, I finally managed to get one of my diskette drives for this system fixed and working and decided to load it up with hardware, including an IBM ESDI controller and two IBM type 0667, 70MB ESDI hard disks. I ran setup and cleared out all of the typical errors (162 & 163...
  20. B

IBM Type 0671 Hard Disk - What are the DIP switch settings?

So I have two of these 0671 hard drives, one SCSI, one ESDI. On the SCSI drive trying to find the switch for termination (if it has it). So far I've found that switches 1-3 are for SCSI ID and 7 is for auto-start. As for the ESDI drive, I'm hoping someone can tell me what any of the switch...
Back