• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit IDE Controller

But didn't the old SB AWE32 and 16 have an ATA/IDE interface?
What pins did the data transfer over the last 8?

No possible way to make driver work on 8-bit bus?

JT

Their ATAPI (E-IDE) interface used the upper 8 bits of the 16-bit bus. In fact, the whole card uses the upper 8 bit too, so it won't work (remember that the bus on the PC/XT is only the first 8 bits and controll lines).

Hello Per i know very little about hardware, but since people here actually talking about building a hardware controller interface from scratch with drivers, i allow myself dream a little bit.

Would it not be possible to build an ISA interface connector to remap the DATA over bus so the upper 8-bit are the actual active bits.

This is probably an oversimplyfication on my part, i guess the Adress connectors is used to reach the hardware in specific manner.

And of course you would have to program drivers that support the way to access the card.
All this would of course be futile if 16 data channels is used in parallell over the IDE interface.

JT

Hi Richard !

Cruise missile !?¿¿ You know what it costs just to fuel one of those things? Besides, they are nowhere NEAR as accurate as those few lucky shot videos you see on the Cartoon Network. Nope, they are still mad at me at the Post Office over that last incident, and are just trying to recoup some of the cost of the rebuild. :twisted:

Richard you do what you have to do, I'm done whining and fretting over it. ;) I'm sure the card is in good hands.

bobwatts
EartH

I just shipped a Quantum 3.2 GB HD to PA today and, even with $100 insurance, it cost me the equivalent of about 11.50 US, so, they must be mad at you for something, Bob.

Although I'm just an ol' country electronics brain surgeon, I'll treat it like it was my very own card and....oops, just dropped a hard drive...and you can rest assured that it will be....who the hell put that damn computer so close to the edge of the workbench, now I'll have to pound the dents out after I sweep up the CRT from that guy's system...safe and sound in my capable hands... Hey, more Southern Comfort over here, wench!

Saturday on EartH

Saturday on EartH

Hi Richard !

I just shipped a Quantum 3.2 GB HD to PA today and, even with $100 insurance, it cost me the equivalent of about 11.50 US, so, they must be mad at you for something, Bob.

Although I'm just an ol' country electronics brain surgeon, I'll treat it like it was my very own card and....oops, just dropped a hard drive...and you can rest assured that it will be....who the hell put that damn computer so close to the edge of the workbench, now I'll have to pound the dents out after I sweep up the CRT from that guy's system...safe and sound in my capable hands... Hey, more Southern Comfort over here, wench!

Although I can't reveal the specifics of the "incident", you would have thought they would have been a little more understanding concerning my attempts to actually create a Flux Capacitor. Heck, I even used the correct radiation symbols ! :p

"Dammit Jim, I'm a surgeon, not a bricklayer ! "

You got wenches in your Lab serving up Southern Comfort !!??¿¿
All I have is four cats in the BODADC. Not one of them is worth a damn with a soldering iron. Although DooM is becoming proficient in the use of:
FORMAT C:/S :twisted:

( I may go through my "box" this weekend. Might be some more stuff in there of interest. I have typed this before in other places: Don't we all wish we had saved that, in my case anyway, around four pick-up truck loads of stuff we have let go over the years. I once piled more MFM and RLL drives out at the curb than I could lift in one trip. :( )

bobwatts
EartH

Hell, I never throw anything out unless it is so screwed that I can't fix it (ROTF, that's a good one, but, may happen SOME day).

Ok, occasionally, something isn't worth fixing and it gets added to the small pile then shoved in the discarded cases for pickup and scrap recycle.

Cats are nice, I have a small herd of them, but wenches are good for serving the Elixer Of Life and sorting out cards into boxes wearing their French Maid outfits. Nah, I'll just leave that as it is and let you figure out the connection.

I too have been known to do my computer work at the local pub, where the serving wenches are as slippery as catsh!t on a dooorknob (lucky for them), but...what's yer point???

--T

bob,

Be sure to stamp (in huge red letters) BOMB PARTS on the package, or it'll be held up in Canadian Customs for five weeks (again) while they try to figger out what the hell it is.

--T

Bomb Parts

Bomb Parts

bob,

Be sure to stamp (in huge red letters) BOMB PARTS on the package, or it'll be held up in Canadian Customs for five weeks (again) while they try to figger out what the hell it is.

--T

OK, that one got a huge laugh. Sometimes my fertile imagination immediatly tries to picture "stuff", and I had a glimpse of just what would actually happen with "BOMB PARTS" in HUGE red letters on a package.

Too late to do it actually, package is winging it's way as I type. I gotta try that on the next one!

( To anyone offended, I realize the world is a little different today, but damn, you have to lighten up sometime. :twisted: )

Frankly, they know me WELL at the PO. I have shipped probably 500+ carburetors, computer thingies, and other "stuff". They are very particular about any "fumey" smell, and have no compunctions about making me repackage stuff. And rightly so.

Bomb parts. :mrgreen:

bobwatts
EartH

Actually, the local PO rejected a package from me a few days ago because the dumpster-rescued box had the word 'opium' on it (in.re. the fragrance, not the drug). And, I'm not kidding about Canadian customs, it was about 5 weeks, wasn't it, D?

I realize it's a different world, but do they really need to carry this (false) security thing to the absurd...?

--T

Actually, the local PO rejected a package from me a few days ago because the dumpster-rescued box had the word 'opium' on it (in.re. the fragrance, not the drug). And, I'm not kidding about Canadian customs, it was about 5 weeks, wasn't it, D?

I realize it's a different world, but do they really need to carry this (false) security thing to the absurd...?

--T

Yes, been there. I once tried sending a box that was originally full of really dangerous chemicals. Brake cleaner I think. Terrible stuff. Wars have been fought over it. Box didn't have Brake Cleaner in it, probably some innocent little computer part. But they called S.W.A.T. of course. Showed 'em my badge, and secret handshake.

Had to leave, take it back to the BODADC, and cover the offending words. Matter of fact, I actually did this for the sIDE card I just mailed, but I used one of those Magic Marker thingies to cover up the Magic Words. I guess that's why it's called Magic Marker.

bobwatts
EartH

Oh yeah, and if ya ever hafta ship a laptop, never, ever tell them that there's a battery in there. They made me re-package one once, and send the battery separately.

--T

While looking for some CoCo2 programs and emualtors I found this site:
http
h??p://bitchin100.com/files/hardware/

There is a 3.4M zip file called: 8bit_ide.zip
Its a pdf file when unzipped but it has alot of info and schematics of a 8 bit ide controller.

Hope this is what you are all looking for.

Eddie

And, I'm not kidding about Canadian customs, it was about 5 weeks, wasn't it, D?

--T

Nope, 72 hours maximum if they even bother to look at it.

I think that five weeks figure was how long it took you to pack the last stuff you shipped to me LOL

If you REALLY want to get something into Canada quickly and not have it touched, stamp "Counterfeit Canadian Passports" on the box :)

While looking for some CoCo2 programs and emualtors I found this site:
http
h??p://bitchin100.com/files/hardware/

There is a 3.4M zip file called: 8bit_ide.zip
Its a pdf file when unzipped but it has alot of info and schematics of a 8 bit ide controller.

Hope this is what you are all looking for.

Eddie

whoa. that really looks interesting. I haven't read through everything just yet, but I did see that the article talks about 2 ways of dealing with the 16/8bit data issue, and that one way (the way the acculogic card works) is to map the other 8bits to a different I/O port. This breaks DMA access, which has been one of my fears about this project.

The other way is to map the 16bit data onto 2 consecutive reads of the same I/O address, which is what this article is all about it seems. AND it includes source code for the GAL/PAL that gets used! Top notch.

So, if we could take this project, and somehow get an option rom decoded in there, we would be set.

Before I get too excited about this new information, I'll let druid weigh in.
95% of the source code I've got right now would still be usable with this new design, so I'm happy. ;)

Back