• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A functional XT!

Sounds like the program is still trying to load from the autoexec file. Delete or REM out the line(s) that load the ol' DB program and try again. As to the floppy problem, the FORMAT program on your hard drive may be corrupted, since you did have bad data on it before SpinRite (it doesn't fix bad data, just bad formatting). Try replacing it with another one from the same version of DOS as the one you are using.

--T

Sounds like the program is still trying to load from the autoexec file. Delete or REM out the line(s) that load the ol' DB program and try again. As to the floppy problem, the FORMAT program on your hard drive may be corrupted, since you did have bad data on it before SpinRite (it doesn't fix bad data, just bad formatting). Try replacing it with another one from the same version of DOS as the one you are using.

That may be the problem, and then maybe not. A while ago, I tested a Tandon TM-100 in my Pentium. It read disks successfully, but when I tried to format one, it produced a bunch of bad sectors, leaving about 330k of space.

You don't need an autoexec.bat or config.sys for a base install of the OS on an XT. It will not hurt to simply rename the file like this:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.old
ren config.sys config.old

IF you have a good complete DOS, I would re-format the hard drive and re-install DOS into a DOS directory.

What happens if you enter the ver command?

Bill

make sure you have a terminator on one of the FDD's, and that the cable and drive controller are correctly set up. Did you verify the switch settings (I assume yes).

The terminating resistor has to be on the drive farthest from the controller. It looks like a blue IC with eight connectors on it. I didn't realize that the floppy disk controller had to be configured - I guess you have to set the number of drives it's attached to.

Also I wonder if using brand new disks from Athena would fix the bad sectors problem. And getting the computer to stop trying to boot up to the database program is a matter of taking that line out of the autoexec.bat file. Darth, what does yours have in it?

Sean

make sure you have a terminator on one of the FDD's, and that the cable and drive controller are correctly set up. Did you verify the switch settings (I assume yes).

It's much harder to find a working hard drive than a replacement set of disk drive(s), I would not worry too much, you'll find something. Almost any DD/DS drive will work.

Bill

The cable and drive controller are in place correctly. By switch setting I assume you mean the set of dip switch's on the MB. They're in the same position they were in when I acquired it and the number of drives have not been changed. The only thing I altered on them was for the cga/80 columns from mono. I have no idea what this terminator is of which you mentioned. The only ones I'm familiar with are generally large, silver and very good at killing people. ;) .

--T

I don't know how to even find what lines those might be let alone deleting and/or altering them.
The thing with the format issue is that it refuses to format anything even when booted from DOS on a floppy. I'm using disks that were N.O.S. from two separate boxes and makers. Both of which are 2D/2S.

You don't need an autoexec.bat or config.sys for a base install of the OS on an XT. It will not hurt to simply rename the file like this:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.old
ren config.sys config.old

IF you have a good complete DOS, I would re-format the hard drive and re-install DOS into a DOS directory.

What happens if you enter the ver command?

Bill

Where and when exactly would I type those lines in? I have "copies" of both DOS 2.1 and 3.1. I have a real copy of 3.3, which by the way is the same version that on the HD. Before it would never boot from that disk though. I tried this morning and it successfully booted but when I attempted to copy it there were unrecoverable read errors.

The terminating resistor has to be on the drive farthest from the controller. It looks like a blue IC with eight connectors on it. I didn't realize that the floppy disk controller had to be configured - I guess you have to set the number of drives it's attached to.

Also I wonder if using brand new disks from Athena would fix the bad sectors problem. And getting the computer to stop trying to boot up to the database program is a matter of taking that line out of the autoexec.bat file. Darth, what does yours have in it?

Sean

I'm not changing the number of drives, just trying to replace the one with a better one so the card wouldn't be operating anything different that it did beforehand. I don't see were this resistor would be. The only thing I notice different between the two drives I have in a 5150 is that one has this chip that has T-RES written on it and the other doesn't. It's the yellow chip with the white sticker on top. in the upper right corner of the lefthand drive in the picture below. That's why I tried the drive that had that particular chip on it for a replacement since the original one in the XT has it as well. I assume the other drive doesn't have it since it's the secondary drive.
Here's a pic of the two floppies in the 5150. Where would this terminator thing be and would it be on the left drive or right? Can the right drive be used as an A: drive on my XT? If so is there any changes that need to be made to it?
drivesin5150.jpg

How would I access the autoexec.bat file. I don't know what's in it so I can't answer that question or did you mean what's in the computer, component wise, itself?

Sorry everyone but I need things to be very specific. I'm not up on any of the technical side of these machines like the vast majority of folks on here are. :(

The T-RES thing is the Termination-Resistor, and should be on the last drive at the end of the cable, furthest from the controller.

To add the REN (REName) lines, it's a built-in command, just type them in at the DOS prompt.

--T

From your pictures you have Terminator installed (the left drive). It says "T-RES" just move it to the right if you want. Personally I don't believe it matters which drive has it as long as one does.

To clean up your autoexec issue:

From the C prompt type this:

del autoexec.bat [return]

then type this exactly (except when in brackets [return]):

copy con autoexec.bat [return]
echo off [return]
prompt $p$g [return]
path=c:\DOS [return]
[F6]

(F6 saves the new autoexec.bat)

Bill

Sorry everyone but I need things to be very specific. I'm not up on any of the technical side of these machines like the vast majority of folks on here are. :(

Stick with it. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this eventually, and you're learning a lot as you go.

Tez

Do you got a copy of the Diagnostics or the Advanced diagnostics disk?

I will strongly recomend you running it if you got it. Do ALL the test at least twice (exept the sync one at the video adapter page; it may damage your monitor. Also note that the serial/parallel ones require some sort of "wrap-plug").

The T-RES thing is the Termination-Resistor, and should be on the last drive at the end of the cable, furthest from the controller.

To add the REN (REName) lines, it's a built-in command, just type them in at the DOS prompt.

--T

Ah. I got it know. :) Thanks. I'll have to try switching it to the righthand drive and then trying that in the XT. It's the only one I haven't tested out yet.

From your pictures you have Terminator installed (the left drive). It says "T-RES" just move it to the right if you want. Personally I don't believe it matters which drive has it as long as one does.

To clean up your autoexec issue:

From the C prompt type this:

del autoexec.bat [return]

then type this exactly (except when in brackets [return]):

copy con autoexec.bat [return]
echo off [return]
prompt $p$g [return]
path=c:\DOS [return]
[F6]

(F6 saves the new autoexec.bat)

Bill

Excellent. That worked great. One curiosity though. Upon boot-up, before the C: prompt the line "echo off" appears. Is that normal? Either way it's better than having it go through with trying to load the missing dbase program. Thanks.

Stick with it. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this eventually, and you're learning a lot as you go.

Tez

I haven't given up yet. ;) I am indeed learning a lot throughout this process.

Do you got a copy of the Diagnostics or the Advanced diagnostics disk?

I will strongly recomend you running it if you got it. Do ALL the test at least twice (exept the sync one at the video adapter page; it may damage your monitor. Also note that the serial/parallel ones require some sort of "wrap-plug").

No, I don't possess either of those. Any idea if there's a place to dl them?

Excellent. That worked great. One curiosity though. Upon boot-up, before the C: prompt the line "echo off" appears. Is that normal? Either way it's better than having it go through with trying to load the missing dbase program. Thanks. ...

The echo off showing is normal. By default DOS echoes batch commands to the screen. When it comes across echo off in your batch file it then stops echoing commands but it's not smart enough to not echo the echo off command as well. Not sure what DOS version you have but in later versions of DOS you could precede any batch command with @ to tell DOS not to echo the command. You could try @echo off to see if the version you're using supports it.

I've been waiting on a few things to arrive. I bought three joysticks plus a NOS game card, namely a Gamecard 3 by CH products. It claims to automatically adjust for a computers speed, from 4.77 MHz to 200MHz. Obviously this card was a bit "newer" but says right on the box that it's compatible with PC's and XT's. It turns out that it does have software that needs to be installed instead of it being built into the card. So how would this work with a PC, most of which never had a HD. Of coarse the software in on a 3.5 and won't fit on one 5.25. I fit as much data that would go on one 5.25 and then put the rest on another. It seemed to install but couldn't automatically put every file on the HD. I had to manually transfer them. Anyways, I ran a test that's included with the package and the two joysticks I tried out registered, although the one didn't return any Y axis info. Both appear to be PCjr controllers that someone put standard DB15 connectors on. So I try out Jungle Hunt since I know that game has a joystick calibration option in it. That appears to work as well. First round where you're swinging from vine to vine worked great. But that's only using button no.1. Upon getting to the second level where you're in the water and have free motion I unpleasantly discovered that there was no stick response at all. It seems that the controller info is loaded in the card each time upon boot up from the autoexec file on the HD. So how is this supposed to work with old booter games? Seems like I got the wrong card after all. I knew I should've gotten the oldest one I could find but the pickings are slim on ebay and with most it's hard to tell what is what. I can get a Kraft Auto Set Game Card Pro but that just seems to be one step down from the one I have. It's "compatible" with 4.77 to 100. Claims to be plug-n-play but I have my doubts. Unfortunately this is only part of the problem now because without warning the damn FDD stopped functioning. It will spin eternally with booter disks and return nothing but errors with any others. I tried the secondary FDD out of my 5150 but the XT wouldn't even turn on with it installed. I tried both T-res chips in it to no avail. So it seems that I'm almost back to the situation that I was in the beginning with not having a useful IBM 4.77 at all. It really should not be this hard should it? Does everyone else have these sort of issues with them? Are old IBM computers just not as hardy as other ones from that era or is it just my luck? I beginning to think I'm cursed after all.

Does everyone else have these sort of issues with them? Are old IBM computers just not as hardy as other ones from that era or is it just my luck? I beginning to think I'm cursed after all.

Sorry to hear about the problems. I've had my fair share of problems with disk drives of various types, so I can relate. They do seem to be the "weak link" when it comes to enjoying vintage computing (unless you enjoy the challenge of fixing them that is)

I've had problems in the past with gunk from degraded disks clogging up the FDD heads. Could this be the problem?

Tez

Sorry to hear about the problems. I've had my fair share of problems with disk drives of various types, so I can relate. They do seem to be the "weak link" when it comes to enjoying vintage computing (unless you enjoy the challenge of fixing them that is)

I've had problems in the past with gunk from degraded disks clogging up the FDD heads. Could this be the problem?

Tez

I was hoping that it was just a case of dirty heads but I've cleaned them with a drive cleaning kit several times and even by hand once. For all I know there still could be something there. Is it easy to see? I tried to look closely but couldn't see anything evident.

So I try out Jungle Hunt since I know that game has a joystick calibration option in it. That appears to work as well. First round where you're swinging from vine to vine worked great. But that's only using button no.1. Upon getting to the second level where you're in the water and have free motion I unpleasantly discovered that there was no stick response at all. It seems that the controller info is loaded in the card each time upon boot up from the autoexec file on the HD. So how is this supposed to work with old booter games?

It doesn't. The driver was made long after booter games had disappeared, and the developers probably didn't even take them into consideration.

The utility disk probably is designed to allow the use of multi-button joysticks or speed adjustment. It shouldn't matter for games that only use two buttons. I've used a 7-button Logitech Wingman on my 386 with no problems and I've never had to load anything for it.

I'm also aware that the joystick control often doesn't work well in games because of sloppy programming. I can't try out Jungle Hunt though because it crashes and burns on VGA cards.

Back