• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

I've been talking with the Advanced Circuits sales rep for my area, it appears they can do $15/board + shipping and e-test, but that's with a four-week lead time. PCBCart will be more like $10/board shipped, and 8 day lead time, plus 2 or 3 days to ship DHL from China.

I'm not sure the "Made in USA" factor is worth that to me personally -- especially the month-long turnaround! What's everyone else think?

I'd be fine with the Chinese boards if they are good quality.

Same board house that did previous rev 2 boards and many of John Monahan's/s100computers.com boards, so the quality is solid and completely adequate for a through-hole board.

Ordered all shipping supplies for this run. Bare boards will ship in a bubble mailer to save on postage, kits and assembled boards will ship in a USPS Small Flat Rate Box to save on hassle. Antistatic bags for parts kits/assembled boards.

Ya that lead time is a bit killer.

The more I think about it, the more I think it sort of kills being able to do the board printing in the US. Add a month on, then the time it'll take me to get the orders processed...plus it's more expensive anyway, which will quickly add up for the people who wanted multiple boards.

We'll run it in China this time. Perhaps the next run(s), if planned for enough in advance, can be done in the US.

Order placed with PCBCart, same manufacturers as the last run of rev 2 boards (at least, the last run I purchased from).

Closed the preorder through glitchwrks.com, you can still confirm if you have a confirmation link. I'll email everyone who confirmed when orders are ready.

Looking forward to this. I've got my Portable ready... full height 5.25 drives swapped out for a half height 3.5 and 5.25, and a HDD mounted in the now empty bay!

IMG_20160602_200637.jpg

-J

Would you settle for "Assembled in the United States of America with Foreign & Domestic Components"? :)

Heh, marketing-speak :) That *is* another point though, even if the board is made in the US, most (all?) of the ICs are not.

Board house says they should be shipping out 11 JUN. I'd imagine they will have been delivered by 15 JUN (DHL shipping is usually 2-3 days from China -> here)

XT-IDE REV 3 BOARDS HAVE SHIPPED! Got the email a few moments ago, should be here in 2-3 days, as that's typical for DHL China -> Here.

If anyone is interested on the Lo-tech version check and you don't want to assemble them yourselves check here.

I'm out of town today, but it looks like the cards were delivered from China this morning!

Keep in mind the XT-IDE rev 3 will be available as just a board, board + parts kit, or fully assembled + tested. Kit includes all components, hardware, and brackets. I'll assemble one and post pictures probably tomorrow.

Got home last night, tore into the package with the rev 3 boards this morning! They look great, typical high quality PCB Cart work. I assembled one using the parts that will be included in kits/assembled units:

WhNaoRn.jpg

biywgZ8.jpg

Tested it in my IBM 5150 PC, worked no problem!

Should be getting kits together this week or next, if you preordered you'll get an email with instructions on how to complete the transaction.

What? No SMT? Geez, I could probably put that together. I didn't realize it would be done without SMT involved.

So, what's the final price for a kit, board plus components?

What? No SMT? Geez, I could probably put that together. I didn't realize it would be done without SMT involved.

Correct, hobbyists seem to be pretty against SMT, so I stuck with all through-hole parts. Part of the point in the rev 3 board was to make it easier on hobbyists with little/no soldering experience to put the board together -- increased clearances, larger traces, oblong pads, et c.

So, what's the final price for a kit, board plus components?

I need to sit down and go through my ordering spreadsheets, but bare boards should be around $8 each and parts kits will probably be $20-25. Expect final numbers in the next week or so, as my day job allows time to finish this up :)

Looks great!

Can't wait to get my hands on one & try it out. Or maybe two if any survive the first round of takers. ;-)

Back