• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Baydel B01079-4 Cartridge tape controller ?

zippysticks

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Anyone recognise this card and have info for it please ?

It was installed in an 11/83 with a 50 way ribbon attached to....... nothing else.
Field guide lists it as a cartridge tape controller but that's not particularly informative. I did find an old QIC-24? drive in the pile of gear - that a possibility ?

Thanks.

PXL_20231021_160735282.jpg

Hi - It's a Baydel CTS-11, emulates a DEC tape drive, but there was also bespoke bootable software to do image backups I think it was QIC-02 - but certainly NOT SCSI, we used them with Archive 2150 drives, but can't remember the version right now...

Did you find any other Baydel boards? - I'm looking for their STBC-11 Bootstrap board for ROM images and even a BRX50 floppy controller...

12b Am2901 datapath. Good for PDP-8 emulation. Rewrite the microcode PROMs and you get a PDP-8 on a QBUS board ... :ROFLMAO:

It is two 2901 and one 2910 (yes, easy to read them wrong) so it is two four-bit slices for a total of 8 bits and then a micro-sequencer.

Hi - It's a Baydel CTS-11, emulates a DEC tape drive, but there was also bespoke bootable software to do image backups I think it was QIC-02 - but certainly NOT SCSI, we used them with Archive 2150 drives, but can't remember the version right now...

Did you find any other Baydel boards? - I'm looking for their STBC-11 Bootstrap board for ROM images and even a BRX50 floppy controller...
No other boards. I plucked this from the working 11/83 - sat alongside an RQDX3. I thought it was an Emulex card as I did not recognise the Baydel logo on the car levers. I can only assume it was paired with the QIC drive I found in the haul. I'll have to take that apart to find out what sits behind its 50 pin IDC connector.

Thanks for confirming everyone. Will give it a whirl this weekend.

You can often tell QIC from SCSI just by looking. SCSI will typically have positions for termination on the controller and often a SCSI controller chip. QIC-36 is a raw "dumb" interface, so you'll typically see some linear circuitry for the data separator as well some smarts on the controller. QIC-02 is a "smart" interface and all signals are TTL.
Of course, there are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb when you see a 50 pin connector on something that's supposed to be a tape controller.

Back