• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Can anyone recommend a cheap ESR meter?

maxtherabbit

Veteran Member
Looking at some of these super cheap (15$) multi all in one component testers from china on ebay. I can't imagine that they are worth a crap, but you never know. The ESR70 seems to be a popular unit at around $100. What do y'all recommend?

Last edited:

Malc

Veteran Member
Probably the Peak electronics ESR70 or the Bob Parker Blue ESR meter, I don't own either but have read excellent reviews on both, I have a cheap Chinesium component tester, It's certainly not the most accurate tool in my tool box but i find it usefull, I've so far gotten away with the tools i have, digital and analog. I've often thought about getting a ESR70 or the Blue ESR meter but it's not a tool i use every day and can't really justify the expense.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Those cheap Chinese component testers (based on an AVR) aren't bad--and quite probably, good enough for hobbyist work. After all, electrolytic cap tolerances are quite wide...

maxtherabbit

Veteran Member
Alright I just ordered one for $6, figured it was worth 2 wendy's spicy chickens to give it a shot :p

this thing:
s-l1600.jpg

Malc

Veteran Member
I think i paid about £12 for mine, But it is in a nice black case, I'm glad i bought it though, Just got to interpret what's on the screen sometimes, IE: when inserting Shorted / Bad components.

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I dropped my first one and the cable to the LCD came off so I purchased one in a case, still works.

Gary C

Veteran Member
Not got an ESR meter, but have a capacitance meter from RS

But, I just got one of these SC110a.jpg

It must be the smallest CRT oscilloscope ever, and I believe it was actually made by Sinclair and used the tube from the Sinclair MTV1B MICROVISION

Almost useless, but fun.

Dwight Elvey

Veteran Member
I have a nice ~1970s bridge that can measure capacitance, inductance, resistance and ESR. It is all in one box.
Dwight