• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM 8050 DUAL DRIVE NOT WORKING

In an old thread I found the suggestion that 5 flashes is a problem with memory at 2000 which would be UD4 and UD5.... you could try swapping UD4/UD5 with UC5/UC4 and see if the flash pattern changes. Or even better remove the 2114s and test them in a tester.
I have some 2114 spare parts and i have ram tester but he tests only 4116 and 4164 ic rams...

Pin 5 of UE3 should be driven as FA9... ie. should be connected directly to and behave the same as pin 18 of UH3.

If you cannot test 2114s just do the swap I suggested ^

Pin 5 of UE3 should be driven as FA9... ie. should be connected directly to and behave the same as pin 18 of UH3.

If you cannot test 2114s just do the swap I suggested ^
Yess!!! I swapped and after changed two 2114 ic rams and now when i turn on can i see this on video,maybe works???

It looks promising!

Is it doing what the service manual and user manual states it should on a power-up now?

Read the manual and check it is doing what it is supposed to (as described in the manual).

Then, hook it up to your PET to find the next problem...

Dave

Tanks so much for your precious help!!! Now i must connect drive to Pet...what can i do to understand if works?
It's difficult format a disk?

I imagine the drive is at address 8

so to format a disk its

OPEN15,8,15 to open a file to device 8

then

PRINT #15,"N0:DISKNAME" which basically sends to the channel 15 opened above, the text in the quotes which means N(ew drive)0 then the name of the disk

You need to read this manual http://cini.classiccmp.org/pdf/Commodore/CBM 2040-3040-4040-8050 Disk Drive Manual.pdf

It seems more complicated because the disk operating system is inside the disk drive and you basically send text commands across the GPIB interface and the disk gets on with the job.

Last edited:
I imagine the drive is at address 8

so to format a disk its

OPEN15,8,15 to open a file to device 8

then

PRINT #15,"N0:DISKNAME" which basically sends to the channel 15 opened above, the text in the quotes which means N(ew drive)0 then the name of the disk

You need to read this manual http://cini.classiccmp.org/pdf/Commodore/CBM 2040-3040-4040-8050 Disk Drive Manual.pdf

It seems more complicated because the disk operating system is inside the disk drive and you basically send text commands across the GPIB interface and the disk gets on with the job.
Hi Gary, ok thanks so much! I'll try this!

Good evening, i connected drive with pet but when i write commands i see this:

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 21.38.57.jpg
    Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 21.38.57.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
You need to use the following commands. Note the letter case and syntax, it is important (as are the spaces)!

OPEN 15,8,15

PRINT #15,”N0:TEST,42”

The N0 is the letter N followed by the number zero.

You need to have a blank disk in the first disk drive (drive 0).

There should not be a syntax error (or any other error come to that) after entering either command.

TEST is the name allocated to the disk and the 42 is a unique number assigned to the disk.

Dave

If i use lower case, i don't have errors for open 15,8,15 but i have syntax error for other command line :(

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 23.06.26.jpg
    Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 23.06.26.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 8
Unfortunately doesn't works also with big N :(
Maybe i have bad cable :(

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 23.17.17.jpg
    Schermata 2022-02-19 alle 23.17.17.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
Do you haver BASIC 4 system (8032)? The business keyboard requires lower case commands.

Try: print ds$ to get the status of disk.
Also, do you have a known good floppy in the right drive (disk 0) when you are trying to read or NEW (format) a diskette?

Does anyone know what kind of floppy is used in a 8050? A double density double sided or??

But why a syntax error I am wondering?

The cable is much less likely than other things:

The IEEE port on the PET. There is a well-documented way of testing this out if you search the VCFED Commodore threads.

Does your IEEE cable connector have a key in it to prevent it from being installed onto the PET connector the wrong way around?

You can test the cable with a multimeter if you are concerned.

Back to the 8050 disk drive at fault in someway.

The 8050 is a single sided drive, 100 TPI, 77 tracks using GCR recording. HD disks cannot be used.

Dave

Last edited:
Good morning,
I read on the internet that this command HEADER "test",D0 is used to format .... I tried, I am asked if I am sure and when I press Y, the message "DEVICE NOT PRESENT" comes out ...
What's correct ieee port on PET? I have 2 ports...
Thanks!

Do you haver BASIC 4 system (8032)? The business keyboard requires lower case commands.

Try: print ds$ to get the status of disk.
Also, do you have a known good floppy in the right drive (disk 0) when you are trying to read or NEW (format) a diskette?

Does anyone know what kind of floppy is used in a 8050? A double density double sided or??
Yes i have basic 4 system, i tryied to tips print ds$ and i have Ready on screen...
I have some used floppy...i don't have new floppy disks :(

There is only ONE IEEE port on the PET. The other port is the USER parallel port.

Check the documentation and locate the correct port...

This is why I was asking about the ‘key’ in the connector. If the key is present, the cable will only physically fit on one of the two connectors and then only the correct way round.

If the key is not fitted - well, anyone’s guess!

Dave

Back