• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET 2001-8 value?

mac512

Experienced Member
Hi guys.
I have the opportunity to acquire an extremely low serial number PET 2001-8. It's a Blue label and screen trim model in very decent shape. However, it's not working and the screen only displays that classic non-working-PET garbage.
How much do you think it is worth?
Thanks.

Late to the party, I see. :(

So how much did you get for it? I woulda gave you a smidge more than a tenner. Maybe even a C note.

OK. Now I know what a tenner is.
I was looking to buy one, but it went locally for way more than that...

It's because I find that people asking questions like "What is this computer worth?" irritate me. The question is often a pretext to an attempt to sell the computer - though with respect to the OP, not in this case.

To answer his question properly, I would have it somewhere between £75 and £150 because it is broken (albeit we know how to fix it, but many won't).

I'm very suspicious of posts of that nature as well, especially when it's a new member with only 1 post. (Again, not the case here.)

There were 2 2001-8 machines for sale. One working (black-blue, serial number 14,XXX) and one non-working (blue-blue, serial number 2,XXX). The seller was asking more than $1K for the pair and I thought it was too much. That's why I tried to research for a fair value... I was dreaming about that blu-blue but at the end, I just let them go... couldn't find any argument for convincing the wife...

There was a blue-blue PET that just sold for $300 (non working but probably not requiring much for repair).

I've often been tempted but.. I don't know.. I have a nice working black and black 2001-8. Near as I can tell we are talking about a bezel and sticker and white tape drive keys. Although in pictures the case kind of looks a bit different dimensionally..

There was a blue-blue PET that just sold for $300 (non working but probably not requiring much for repair).

I've often been tempted but.. I don't know.. I have a nice working black and black 2001-8. Near as I can tell we are talking about a bezel and sticker and white tape drive keys. Although in pictures the case kind of looks a bit different dimensionally..

Having had them side to side, I can say the overall case dimensions are the same, I think the coloring differences, label sizes, and slight variations in roundness of case edges give that illusion. The bezels and labels obviously are (if they could be found), but the tape drive itself is a totally different model - it's not easy to fit a white keyed tape deck in a later machine, or vice versa, because they have different case cutouts - sort of curved at the sides on the later models, narrower and flatter on the earlier models.

It's funny really though because the very first production PETs had black bezels, not blue:

commodore_pet2001_clavier-merdique[1].jpg

With many other systems, it's the earliest and rarest which commands the highest price, but with PETs it's the prettiest which does!

Hence the Porsche PET.

In my short experience, I've found that it's best to not make any assumptions about PET case size and shape based on a photo. I wonder how many subtly different cases there are.

I've tried to collect a sample of each case design. Apart from the streamlined PETs, I thought I had a representative of each until recently. I've seen photos of one more case design with a really wide palm rest. But as noted here photos can be tricky.

When these things were first showing up on ebay they were generating a frenzy... wasn't abnormal to see $900+ for one. But as always demand creates supply.. and I have seen enough blue PETs now to convince myself they're not all that special or stupid rare.

I've got a black bezel, with white tape keys.

Commodore, the masters of throw whatever's in stock that day into the units and ship.

Later,
dabone

Hence the Porsche PET.

In my short experience, I've found that it's best to not make any assumptions about PET case size and shape based on a photo. I wonder how many subtly different cases there are.

There was no such thing as a Porsche PET, it's a myth used by disreputable sellers to part the naive and their cash. The machines were designed by Commodore designer Ira Velinsky.

Back