• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC MicroVax 2000

maxfli

Experienced Member
I came upon this system on ebay and was looking to get some insight to it after reading the user manual.

On the back of the system I notice there is a device next to the serial port that looks to be a terminal block to accept the DEC-423 type plug, there are three of those outlets. Is this to add multiple terminals? Also this system has an expansion card so you can add a Tape Drive or external Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance.

I have several MicroVAX 2000 machines. The block has 3 MMJ ports on it for terminals, including the console. What is the link on Ebay?

$500 plus shipping? Ouch. Unless you want that particular system there are better MicroVAX deals.

This showed up in the "Similar Sponsered Items" https://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroVax-3100-90-DV-31PAA-E9/251276013005

A MicroVAX 3100 M90. It's got 64MB of memory which is huge for VAX/VMS. You can run a lot on that. It also has a TZ30 tape drive. A CD-ROM drive would be better though but you can netboot it using the SimH Infoserver. It's about 100 (wild a** guess) times faster than the MV2000 and $100 less. I've got a MV3100 M95 which is just a smidge faster than the M90 and it's a nice machine. It's physically about twice the size of the MV2000 so if you are space crunched then that could be a consideration.

Second the MicroVAX 3100 M9x recommendation, unless you have a special interest in the having/preserving the MicroVAX 2000.

The ability to use SCSI drives and the SCSI2SD adapter make for a very supportable and flexible platform.

I was just looking for more info on these systems, not looking to buy at the moment.

Does the three MMJ ports allow 3 terminals to be used simultaneously?

I was just looking for more info on these systems, not looking to buy at the moment.

Does the three MMJ ports allow 3 terminals to be used simultaneously?

I don't think I have ever tried and I can't check for sure, but if you look in Chapter 9 of the technical manual (http://manx-docs.org/collections/hcps/vttaatm1.pdf) it strongly suggests that you can connect 3 terminals.

I don't think I have ever tried and I can't check for sure, but if you look in Chapter 9 of the technical manual (http://manx-docs.org/collections/hcps/vttaatm1.pdf) it strongly suggests that you can connect 3 terminals.

Also, that listing doesn't tell you anything about the disk inside and whether it is serviceable. However, you would probably want one of David Gesswein's emulators anyway as even if the disk works, you shouldn't rely on it. One good thing about the 2000 specifically is that it can format RD5x disks.

"Second the MicroVAX 3100 M9x recommendation, unless you have a special interest in the having/preserving the MicroVAX 2000.

The ability to use SCSI drives and the SCSI2SD adapter make for a very supportable and flexible platform."

MicroVAX 2000s can support SCSI drives, if you're sufficiently motivated. I have four of them, all running on RZ28 SCSI disks.

"Second the MicroVAX 3100 M9x recommendation, unless you have a special interest in the having/preserving the MicroVAX 2000.

The ability to use SCSI drives and the SCSI2SD adapter make for a very supportable and flexible platform."

MicroVAX 2000s can support SCSI drives, if you're sufficiently motivated. I have four of them, all running on RZ28 SCSI disks.

Don't you need to hack the microcode?

No. The microcode have nothing to do with these things.
If you want to be able to boot from SCSI though, you need new boot roms. Someone already did the changes, so all you'll need to do is write it to the appropriate proms or flash (not sure what the 2000 have), and you're good.
Of course, I'm not sure if VMS ever supported SCSI disks on the 2000, so that might not work, but with NetBSD it's all fine. Also, if you're not requiring boot ability from SCSI, then no changes are needed at all.

Nope. A few patches to some system files, and four new system board ROMS to support booting, and you're good to go. This was all worked out by Wolfgang Moeller, back in the day.

Nope. A few patches to some system files, and four new system board ROMS to support booting, and you're good to go. This was all worked out by Wolfgang Moeller, back in the day.

Not exactly trivial, especially for some one who knows not VMS.The ROMS are probably made from "unobtainium". If its so easy are there any links on how to do it?
I think popping David Gesswein's MFM Emulator in is as good...

Not exactly trivial, especially for some one who knows not VMS. ROMS are probably made from "unobtainium". If its so easy are there any links on how to do it?
I think popping David Gesswein's MFM Emulator in is as good...
Applying patches doesn't require any great knowledge of VMS. The EPROMS are dirt cheap common 27256s. You need an EPROM programmer to write the new code to 'em, natch. There are writeups out there on how to do it - Moeller's work was pretty well known back when 2000s were a thing. The SCSI solution was free for me - I already had an EPROM programmer and dozens of 27256s salvaged from old gear, as well as a slug of surplus RZ28s to use. Lessee...isn't the Gesswein emulator solution going to be limited to RD54 size? If so, that's a bit of a limitation...159 MB is a bit...confining...for a VMS system.

Applying patches doesn't require any great knowledge of VMS. The EPROMS are dirt cheap common 27256s. You need an EPROM programmer to write the new code to 'em, natch. There are writeups out there on how to do it - Moeller's work was pretty well known back when 2000s were a thing. The SCSI solution was free for me - I already had an EPROM programmer and dozens of 27256s salvaged from old gear, as well as a slug of surplus RZ28s to use. Lessee...isn't the Gesswein emulator solution going to be limited to RD54 size? If so, that's a bit of a limitation...159 MB is a bit...confining...for a VMS system.

I looked and whilst I can find several mentions in e-mails the Rom Images and Patches seem to have disappeared. I do have a copy which I can share if any one needs them.
What I really wanted was VMS support for disks on the KZQSA ( think that is the proper number) as that is in my Vax 4000 which other wise only has DSSI disks and I can't afford a UC07...

I looked and whilst I can find several mentions in e-mails the Rom Images and Patches seem to have disappeared. I do have a copy which I can share if any one needs them.
What I really wanted was VMS support for disks on the KZQSA ( think that is the proper number) as that is in my Vax 4000 which other wise only has DSSI disks and I can't afford a UC07...

I am interested in ROM contents for making a 2000 boot from SCSI. The instructions on patches for VMS would be great as well. I have a tiny little 2000 that would be interesting to have running.

Back