• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

i
I still hope to get another 8e someday, but not at that price.
I think i saw an 8e on ebay go for around 800 a few years ago, sometimes things go cheap.. not this time there must have been someone that just had to have it. I think 1500 or 2k would have been reasonable

This seller just posted a bunch of PDP-11 parts. It's clear from their listings they have no idea what they have. There is a "PDP-11/73" which is really just an empty BA23 chassis. Not even sure if it's all there.

This is an interesting one:

SMS 104-01106-F-R Scientific Micro Systems Vintage Computer Module - AS IS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155493230932
US $799.99, Free Standard Shipping, Make Offer

Looks like an SMS-1000 Model 40
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sms/qbus/3001076A_SMS1000oem_Feb87.pdf

Those have an integrated MSCP controller for an MFM hard drive and a floppy drive, and two integrated SLU ports. The one in this listing has an 8-inch floppy drive and an ST-225 hard drive. Too bad there isn't a photo with the rear cover open to show if there is a CPU and any memory boards installed in the backplane. It is also appears to be missing the top cover over the floppy / hard drive section.

I have one of these with an M8192 KDJ11-A and two M7551 MSV11 2MB boards. Decent enough system for running 2.11BSD or RSTS/E 10.1

I wouldn't pay $800 for another one, but maybe someone else might try making an offer on this one.

5303 Dollar for a PDP8/f :oops: I didn't see that coming...

Madness!
It more than doubled in price in the last 20 seconds from $2500 to $5303 with the next lower bid at $5203. Those two really wanted it.
This 8/f was in an untested/unknown state without a serial board.

Madness!
It more than doubled in price in the last 20 seconds from $2500 to $5303 with the next lower bid at $5203. Those two really wanted it.
This 8/f was in an untested/unknown state without a serial board.
I could not agree more. I planned to put in what I thought would be a solid bid and quickly found myself quickly bested. Still not sure if I should be surprised or not considering these high ending bids has been the norm for vintage computers as of late.
Will throw this out if anyone is interested in working a trade of sorts for a PDP-8 feel free to DM me. I have a IMSAI 8080 that might be looking for a home. :)

I could not agree more. I planned to put in what I thought would be a solid bid and quickly found myself quickly bested. Still not sure if I should be surprised or not considering these high ending bids has been the norm for vintage computers as of late.
Will throw this out if anyone is interested in working a trade of sorts for a PDP-8 feel free to DM me. I have a IMSAI 8080 that might be looking for a home. :)
I've noticed that PDP's (both 8's and 11's) have gained in popularity quite a bit lately, there's been a number of posts (even to this forum) along the lines of "I just found this PDP-11, how do I get it running?"

The prices of peripheral controllers (RL, RA, etc) on eBay seem to also be fairly high these days... even PDP-11's in BA23 chassis' are going for huge dollars too.

-Chris

I have sold some S-100 gear in the past on ebay and it ended up right back for sale for double the price. I dont really mind i suppose since i got what i was asking, but it does give a lot of newcomers to the hobby the impression that this stuff is worth more than it is. We are talking about 40+ year old computers here. There is at least 1 more person in this world that is willing to spend 5k for a pdp-8 which is a scary thought. There is a PDP-11/73 for 2500 right now maybe that other bidder should pick that up. It probably works

> PDP's (both 8's and 11's) have gained in popularity quite a bit lately,
A generation that learned computing on this kind of computer is now retiring. I encountered several times blickenlights computers, a 16 bits Telematique, PDP-8, LCT3202 (below).
2cd65a61a0ef400cbd7ac23452f9d3c4.jpg

> There is at least 1 more person in this world that is willing to spend 5k for a pdp-8 which is a scary thought.
Even if I have no such money or space to put in a PDP-8, they are fascinating. When I was a young adult (78-85), there were few PDP-8 units in France. In my industry, they were used as phone call simulators to test telephone exchange, transported by special cars. As this was a time when telephone exchanges were mostly electromechanical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbar_switch) they were considered religiously.
9ed31dafee7379c5d07153071b275108.jpg

Pictures come from https://telecommunications.monsite-orange.fr/ (not mine)

I do not know, I just wanted to not promote an empty chassis.

The best is to ask the seller.
If you are not sure of your French, I can help with translation.
For example for "Hello, does this computer turn on when you plug it in, do you hear the sound of the disk due?
Thanks!
"

"Bonjour, est-ce que cet ordinateur s'allume quand on le branche, est-ce qu'on entend le bruit du disque dur?
Merci."

Yes, the board is underneath. You see the connectors from the board in one picture from behind. The printer port and the monitorport. So the board is there. But no harddrive.

That's an original Rainbow. No hard drive was available if specified. Note how the power cable is tied back and the data cable is not present.

Sports card flipper getting into ccmp I see
It stinks that eBay has made it difficult to find seller's "sold" items now if they have a store

Sports card flipper getting into ccmp I see
It stinks that eBay has made it difficult to find seller's "sold" items now if they have a store

eBay is constantly making little change all of the time that make it more difficult to track historical sales data. One of the last changes I noticed a couple of week ago is that if you bid on an item and you are not the high bidder when the item ends, you no longer receive an email with final sales price in the email, instead the email just says the item is "no longer listed", and you have to click through a link in the email to see the final sales price. So those emails on their own are no longer useful for tracking sales prices. 👎🏻

I too was hoping for some pics of what's inside.

The seller updated the listing description that the SMS-1000 includes an M8192 KDJ11-A, a Camintonn CMLV11-J Card (M8043 DL11-J equivalent), and a mystery "System Interface Card", but no memory cards.

The seller also doubled the asking price from $800 to $1600. Wonder where they got the idea that an M8192 KDJ11-A might be worth $800?

The seller updated the listing description that the SMS-1000 includes an M8192 KDJ11-A, a Camintonn CMLV11-J Card (M8043 DL11-J equivalent), and a mystery "System Interface Card", but no memory cards.

The seller also doubled the asking price from $800 to $1600. Wonder where they got the idea that an M8192 KDJ11-A might be worth $800?

a really useless set of pictures. they should have dropped the back panel.
there should be a large board below the qbus slots

Back