• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Faulty 5150 Motherboard

Well, I wish I could have, that would have been sweet. But for some reason the designers of this card thought it would be cool to put in a battery that’s hard leaded. Into what kind of looks like a battery holder. I actually considered trying to desolder those leads and re-solder to new battery. But I decided against it, since it would only be a temporary fix.

Attachments

• IMG_9251.jpeg
    IMG_9251.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Just to share, I also had to repair both Tandon drives on this unit. They had the usual shorted tantalums and what not, which I recapped. And while I was doing this I of course, I oiled/cleaned them. Which is where I noticed the pulley on drive B was severely deformed and cracked. Bad enough where it could not freely spin, prohibiting the drive from functioning. This is the first time I have seen a part any computer do this, especially an IBM. It's almost as if the part is a knockoff made out of clay. I am almost 100% sure this is the original drive that came with the PC, it even has the original box with matching serial numbers. Luckily I have a spare scrap Tandon for parts that I could get a replacement pulley from. I just wanted to share because I own quite a few IBM's with Tandon's and have never seen this before. Have you?
I have. The pulley is made of Pot Metal and the composition is such that from one batch to another the castings may either last forever or turn to dust after a few decades. It's a major issue with older mechanical devices and die-cast toys because it was so cheap to work with and Asia especially manufactured a LOT of small metal components out of it rather than stamping and milling pieces.

@Cyberstein / @modem7 if there's any tests you'd like me to perform to verify what you're seeing let me know. I haven't replaced the battery on my card, but I have one I can put on there if needed.
Maxtherabbit now has me wondering. Your battery is hard leaded as well right?
I have. The pulley is made of Pot Metal and the composition is such that from one batch to another the castings may either last forever or turn to dust after a few decades. It's a major issue with older mechanical devices and die-cast toys because it was so cheap to work with and Asia especially manufactured a LOT of small metal components out of it rather than stamping and milling pieces.
Thank’s for the explanation, makes sense. Given everything else in the computer was in excellent condition.

Back