• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset closing for good in April 2022

Kind of sucks that even when stored in a building much of what they had vintage wise didn't look like it was in good condition anyway. Most of that stuff will end up recycled.

I dont care much if stuff is dirty or rusted. I love fixing what most pickey princesses consider "junk" or say "throw it away" to. . Im sure that place was a goldmine even in stuff that didnt work.. I have a problem with how it was handled.

How was it supposed to be handled? Come on in with trucks and take what you want for scrap prices? If you get hurt by all the junk stacked to the roof and littering the floor please don't take us to court?

The value is in the building or property and not the crap inside it (to the owners heirs anyway).

Kind of sucks that even when stored in a building much of what they had vintage wise didn't look like it was in good condition anyway. Most of that stuff will end up recycled.
It had a roof over it. Doesn't mean anything was maintained.
Last time I saw photos of the warehouse you had pallets on the floor that had been ripped apart by scavengers and others either still up in the rusting out racking or had collapsed into the shelves below. With no Air conditioning the humidity ravaged everything. It was dangerous to get around the warehouse. Stuff had to be cleared off the floor before stuff in the racking could be stabilized and removed and there was just no place to relocate anything. It was just crammed with junk.

How was it supposed to be handled? Come on in with trucks and take what you want for scrap prices? If you get hurt by all the junk stacked to the roof and littering the floor please don't take us to court?

The value is in the building or property and not the crap inside it (to the owners heirs anyway).
And if it ends up being scrapped, what's the big deal if people came in trucks? At least that way some of it would be saved. The other way no one sees any of it.
To me that's not a great solution.

A lot of misinformation going on in this thread. I've been a few times and it got way better after they stopped letting people in tossing stuff around and stealing all of the keyboards. Yeah some of the coolest stuff disappeared the quickest, but that's to be expected.... fortunately there was so much volume, that I got some stuff (probably too much stuff) that I wanted. Every time I've been, I packed my car to the roof, and I've heard of people taking moving vans too.

I'm OK with people loading up and selling stuff on ebay. That's better than it ending up in the landfill. Heck, some of the people that bought a lot of stuff, I bought from them on ebay, and I was happy to do it, because they found something that I didn't or couldn't find myself. Sure I had to pay a little more than if I found it myself, but that's better than either not finding it, or paying "normal" ebay prices.

I understand some people not liking facebook, but it's a way of organizing that worked. I have no problems with it. There is even a facebook group of people trying to resell things they've found or ask for people to look for things when they go. I found one guy looking for a PCJr copy of Lotus 1-2-3 and another looking for an IBM PS/2 model 30 HDD. I was able to find both on my next trip, and I passed them on for a price much better than ebay, as far as I know.

I second what NeXT said, the drama is stupid. The mods they found have enormous hubris that overshadows their magnanimity for saving vintage computer parts, even though I agree eBay/scalping is vastly better than the landfill, which is the next stop for this stuff.

On one hand yes it's sad, on the other people have been going through it for years and a lot of it can't be saved without being stored for another 20 years for someone to grow up who wants it.

I would have liked to check this out too. But requiring a FB account is not gonna happen. There are a few other devices I have that have FB support. Not
gonna happen there either. So I'll miss out on likely a few things. But I bet the best things are long gone. What a stupid way to handle this.
Yep, really strange that they'd confine something like this to Facebook when there's literally a forum like this one that would've been perfect.

Hi Folks! I just came back there. I took a four day weekend and flew down from a hole in the wall place that is 60 miles south of Montreal (but actually in the states). I decided that I was only going to look for software or documentation since I could ship that home somewhat affordably and I wouldn't look for hardware unless I found a unicorn for me, personally. There's still lots of stuff left in terms of software, cabling, laptops, desktops. Are you going to find PS/2's, 5150's, 5160's, 5170's, or other stuff like that? Unlikely, but as others on the Facebook group will tell you, you really do not know what you will find. As soon as the stuff I shipped home arrives, I will do YouTube videos on my channel about the stuff. You can PM me if you are interested in watching those and I'll link you to the channel.

I'm not a 100% raving fan of Facebook, not by any means, but it is the method of signing up and getting a spot, and I'm sorry to say; you can put up with having an account for 6 months even if just for this. If you don't want to, that is your choice, don't get it, don't sign up, and don't go.

If you're looking for very specific things, you might be one of those people who drive a U-Haul, truck, or van down there and come back with only a few things, however if you are more open to grabbing some vintage and bringing a truck of it back to work on and explore, than this still is the place to go.

If anyone is going there, I'd really appreciate it if you could try to find the near-unobtanium 2 or 4 MB RAM module for the IBM PS/1 Model 2121, as discussed in this thread:

IBM made them, as well as Kingston.

ps1_2011_ramexp_front2.jpg

I already have the rare Audio Option card for the PS/1 (which gave it Tandy 1000-like sound capability), but maybe other PS/1 owners would be looking for that as well, if you spot it:

Wasnt a member on here making new versions of these... with photos.. somewhat recently? I understand wanting the original though.

Wasnt a member on here making new versions of these... with photos.. somewhat recently? I understand wanting the original though.
I believe it was a homebrew one-off. Although on GitHub you can get the files to make 3D printed replicas of the blue retaining clips for the RAM module.

The clean out is being handled exclusively by volunteers. There is zero business interest, other than to assist the next-of-kin of the late founder.

They are attempting to handle the very large number of visitors as well as they possibly can, but it's not an easy job.

- Alex

At the rates charged around here 30 cents a lb or so for e-waste it would likely cost close to $500,000 + to “scrap” everything the legitimate way

So any way they can get the stuff out as quickly and cheaply as possible is prudent

The fact they are able to collect any $$$ on the hoard without decades to do it is amazing

Are you saying you need to pay 30 cents a pound to have ewaste removed?
From personal experience if you are lucky yes.

If batteries, CRTs or LCDs, are involved nobody pays for e-waste, you pay them.

Extraordinarily expensive to just try to toss equipment, especially now that there is technically no market for ewaste. Assuming of coarse you do things legally.

Back