• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, I'm going to Dallas this week and I was wondering if anyone can just go to this place and see what they have?!?

Thank you,
Roger

Oh, you're in Denver. Take me with you ;_; but unfortunately no you cannot just go there. What day will you be in Dallas? You can look at the building sadly if you want, but you can only go in on days posted in their Facebook group.

They're open today, Saturday the 6th, but no other days have been posted yet. Because events are posted with only a few days notice, a side effect of that is discouraging long distance travelers from visiting.

[...] what can you say about the idea of just grabbing the most valuable things for primarily mercenary reasons?

If it weren't for people acting like you describe above, there would be NO extant examples of the big racks from the SAGE computers used for missile defense. Hollywood property masters gobbled up all those blinkenlight panels and other racks of stuff and gave it life for many decades beyond the point where it would have hit the scrap pile.

The same thing was going on at The Black Hole. I was told that Hollywood prop making folks would show up and buy racks of equipment from there.

Does anyone know how many IBM 5162's are there and what they might cost? I've been looking for one for a while.

If it weren't for people acting like you describe above, there would be NO extant examples of the big racks from the SAGE computers used for missile defense.

Other than the ones from Canada the Computer Museum saved, and are on exhibit in their original unmodified-for-Hollywood state today in Mountain View, CA.

I could of sworn there was a link posted earlier. I don't think mbbrutman wants us disclosing those links and videos yet.

Me answering your question though, holy CRAP this is WAAAAY larger that I was thinking it was. The warehouse goes on forever.

We've been asked not to post videos of the warehouse here. We can't stop other people from doing it, nor do we know if they have been blessed to do so. If you want to see the video I suggest just looking for it on YouTube.

I saw LGR's video and thought, "OMG, I've died and gone to heaven!"

I just wish I could make it out there. Wonder if they will mail stuff out or if anybody local is willing to pick something up and send it my way.... I'll have to get Facebook working first.

I think people are underestimating how much work it can be to find things. Unless you’re wanting Pentium II and III which are piled up near the door, all of the cool stuff is a lot of work, in very hot and dirty conditions. If your standing next to me, and I’ve seen something, I’ll help you find it. But I doubt I’d go on a search for some unicorn, dig it out, carry it home, pack it up, and then mail it off. You’d be looking at $100 surcharge, on top of actual costs, for me to even consider it.

I’m not trying to be rude, but as fun and interesting as it is in the warehouse, I’m not getting heat stroke for free :)

I think people are underestimating how much work it can be to find things. Unless you’re wanting Pentium II and III which are piled up near the door, all of the cool stuff is a lot of work, in very hot and dirty conditions. If your standing next to me, and I’ve seen something, I’ll help you find it. But I doubt I’d go on a search for some unicorn, dig it out, carry it home, pack it up, and then mail it off. You’d be looking at $100 surcharge, on top of actual costs, for me to even consider it.

I’m not trying to be rude, but as fun and interesting as it is in the warehouse, I’m not getting heat stroke for free :)

Which is certainly fair. I work outdoors for a living, so I'm acclimatized to heat, even if I prefer to avoid it. I don't mind spending the day exploring a warehouse for this if I could. Ideally, I'd just fly out there myself, spend the day, and mail the stuff I want back up to Canada. But by the time I fly out there, find what I want, buy it, and ship it back home, It'd be far cheaper to get somebody local to do it and pay them for their time if they're already going anyways, or even to just get it off eBay/Craigslist. Nothing super rare, just some IBM/Tandy stuff that would be easy to spot anyways, although I imagine it'd be hard to resist "impulse shopping" if I were there in person.

What I don't know, since I'm still trying to get Facebook sorted out, is how long they plan to keep it open, and what kind of prices they ask.

If anyone is going and you can PM for more private contact information; I'd be interested in some of the NOS 3-ring binder IBM software that is there.

I'm in the facebook group and seen people ask for things a lot but I can say it doesn't usually happen. It's too much hassle for those in the area to ship things.

It looks really exciting, but you really have to be in Dallas to get any use out of it. They're seldom even open to let people in, which makes it difficult for distant people to try to explore the place.

I'm in the facebook group and seen people ask for things a lot but I can say it doesn't usually happen. It's too much hassle for those in the area to ship things.

It looks really exciting, but you really have to be in Dallas to get any use out of it. They're seldom even open to let people in, which makes it difficult for distant people to try to explore the place.

That's the impression I got from watching LGR's video like you gotta organize everything ahead of time.

I got the impression that they had to beg once the family figured out what was going on, not that showing up or arranging in groups was the solution.

Keep in mind that while us nerds see a pile of geek toys, that the family may be dealing with things magnitudes larger.

I won't speculate on their situation.

Early last year, an older neighbor of mine was hospitalized for many months. I was told she racked up a medical bill of around a quarter of a million dollars before she finally died. I don't know how they dealt with all of that, but her son, who runs his own business, only just recently got her condo unit all cleaned out and sold. Magnitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back