• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gridcase 1520 dissasembly guide.

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Can anyone point me to one out there on the net? Better yet, If anyone has one I'd be very grateful!

I don't want to go poking at this thing without some guidance.

Thanks!

I seem to recall in my 1520 that you just needed a regular cross-head screwdriver and it all came apart. The LCD doesn't use a ribbon cable but be careful because the keyboard does.

Two screws behind square caps on the back.
Once removed the cover behind the LCD should slide forwards and lift out.

Sorry for the late reply to this post! I am a RuGRiD member so I will check that out, thanks Micom :)

Qbus, I've seen your website before, very nice :) Problem with mine is that it doesn't always power on or stay on. It was used in an industrial setting and has oil in it. I'm cleaning it out. It has the orange screen.

Cool. Orange is the display that’s usually on the military version that’s fully tempested. Worst thing about that is after removing the top cover all you see is all the additional shielding that the military required. The LCD and red plasma are way more common and don’t have all the shielding. If you’re using the internal power supply that fits in the bay you may want to look at the spring connectors or try a different supply, any twelve volt source will work. The little DC to DC inverter in the back next to the drive bay just provides +5 and +12 and is fairly straight forward design, and then next to that is the display power supply. The things that I have seen fail the most are the surface mounted filters on the mother board located under the battery bay and modem. Also look closely at the switch on the back along with its wire to the little Molex connector.

I had a Grid 1520 when I was younger, it had the redish-orange gas-plasma screen on it, I ended up trashing it back in the mid to late 90's when the screen failed on it, really wish I had kept it and tried to fix it now :(

I remember it was a real tank though, they sure don't build them like that anymore ;)

Back