• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5162 Prototype ?

ohmylove2u

Experienced Member
I recently purchased an unusual IBM 5162. It can start up normally.
Nameplate indicates that it is a 5162. However, when opening it, I discovered that its motherboard was really peculiar.
In contrast to others, my motherboard's chips—including the CPU—are all mounted to the PCB via sockets.
The chip layout is also different from normal.
Additionally, rather than being powered by an external battery, the battery is fixed and soldered to the motherboard.
Is 5162 the correct model number? Is it a prototype for an engineering project? Is this one fake?
微信图片_20231129215221.jpg 微信图片_20231129215348.jpg 微信图片_20231129215637.jpg

微信图片_20231129215357.jpg 微信图片_20231129215401.jpg 微信图片_20231129215408.jpg

1) get that heinous battery off there IMMEDIATELY before it does any additional damage, cut it off with dykes and treat the area around it with white vinegar

2) that's absolutely nothing like my 5162 planar. There are no PLCC chips or 256kx1 DIPs on a retail board. This is interesting

That looks like a clone board. I vaguely remember reading that IBM had sourced some clone boards for the end of the 5170 and 5162 production after the supply of IBM manufactured boards had run out.

Usually, at least in the case of ThinkPads from the 90s, IBM will write "Manufactured by IBM" if they made it and "Manufactured for IBM" if they sourced it from elsewhere (like the ThinkPad 310, i1200 series, some others). Assuming that's also true for that time period, that sticker on the motherboard saying "by" suggests to me that they made it in-house. Not sure though.

Wow, that's crazy! Never seen anything like it before. As far as exactly what it is, I have no idea. Very cool find!

I'm also curious about that IBM color monitor. The IBM badge has different dimensions than usual. On all 5153s I have seen (including the one I own), the badge is tall and narrow, not short and wide.

I remember a post recently where someone else had a vague picture of the same board in a 5162 ... seems to be a very rare variant for sure, and this is the first full board picture I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

My web page at [here] includes a link to that thread, and some comments of mine.
Thanks, that's the one and appears to be the same board. Also, I wanted to mention the 5162B sticker on the full board picture that is now available (in the bottom corner) ... very interesting.

Is there any DOS commands or tools can mark the bad sectors ?
Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
I think those sectors that are marked as bad were discovered by the FORMAT command. Products like Norton Disk Doctor (or its MS version Scandisk) plus many others can locate and mark additional marginal sectors as bad without needing another FORMAT. Note that older versions of FORMAT will ignore the list of bad sectors and sometimes return a marginal sector to service which was a bad idea. If a sector sometimes fails, it should never have data.

That looks like the results of several severe head crashes. Time to research a replacement drive system. A low level format may temporarily help if the drive had been previously formatted in very different conditions. It doesn't take much expansion/contraction of the read/write head arms for them to no longer be centered on the tracks laid down in a previous low level format.

Does the drive sound OK? Try a low level format.
That looks like the results of several severe head crashes. Time to research a replacement drive system. A low level format may temporarily help if the drive had been previously formatted in very different conditions. It doesn't take much expansion/contraction of the read/write head arms for them to no longer be centered on the tracks laid down in a previous low level format.

Thanks!

The HD motor sounds normal when it's starting and operating, but it spins rather loudly. I adore this sense of antiquity, which is why I really don't want to replace this mechanical hard drive.

I have low-level formatted this HD. The formatted result can be seen in the image above. It is always stuck at head 3 when formatting. Something must have gone wrong with head 3.
微信图片_20231207093539.jpg

I'm going to try the following :

1. I have a multifunction disk control card (GoldStar 16-bit ISA). I'm not sure if booting the system by directly plugging an IDE hard drive is possible.
s-l1600.jpg微信截图_20231207090636.jpg

2. I purchased an ISA interface USB flash drive adapter card that can be used with a USB flash drive; it hasn't arrived yet.
微信图片_20231207093724.jpg

3. The last way is to spend more money and buy an XT-IDE card.

The date codes on the motherboard components are from late '87 and early '88, so it doesn't seem to be a prototype. The speculation that this might have been produced after the original stockpile of boards ran out is probably correct.
Have the BIOS chips on this thing been dumped yet?
Any theories about which chipset this board uses?

Back