• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

MS-DOS 6.22 on 360k

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I'm sure there must have been, although rare, a version of DOS 6.22 available on 360k. Does anyone have this flavor or know where such images might hide?

Thanks,
Daniel

Stone

10k Member
I migrated 6.22 onto 360k disks from another install. :)

I have an image of that 360k bootable 6.22 if that's what you're looking for.

GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
There was a card in the retail box that you could send in and get 1.2M or 360K disks. I should have a set around here somewhere.

edit: I have the 6.0 upgrade and the 6.2 upgrade on 360K disks, but not the 6.22 step-up. Unless it's in a different box.

Last edited:

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
There was a card in the retail box that you could send in and get 1.2M or 360K disks. I should have a set around here somewhere.

edit: I have the 6.0 upgrade and the 6.2 upgrade on 360K disks, but not the 6.22 step-up. Unless it's in a different box.

How many floppies and is it possible to get images?

GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
12 disks in each set. I'll see if there is anything on them to make an image of. I hope that ebay seller's garage has heat and AC, otherwise those disks aren't going to be worth much.

GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
Man, I hated DoubleSpace. They should have called it LittleSpace, it was a lot of trouble for a little extra hard drive space. Almost as irritating as the tape drive companies that rated tapes at twice the actual capacity. Put 10.2 MB onto a 20 MB tape and presto! it's full. Anyway, the disk images are done, but they are not error-free. If they don't work, I have the 1.44MB versions, we can probably transplant files from them until we get a working set. PM me an email address and I'll send them out.

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
I believe "Enhanced Tools" is how they referred to OEM versions of DOS 6.x. These sometimes may have include extra tools specific to an OEMs hardware.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
msdos360k.jpg

Trixter

Veteran Member
I migrated 6.22 onto 360k disks from another install. :)

Seconded. I've done this for decades. Do a clean install on some system, format a: /s to the media you need, copy fdisk.* and format.* a:, then boot the target and set up the drive. Then, use your favorite copying solution (network, floppies, laplink/fastlynx cable, etc.) to copy over C:\DOS.

fs5500

Experienced Member
@GottaLottaStuff

MS-DOS with Enhanced Tools is just OEM full version from Microsoft Genuine.
(No upgrade version.)