• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Forums nits

Every forum I've ever used called them private messages. I think DM is a twitter/instagram thing, although I don't use that crap so idk.

As I've said before, wouldn't it be better to stick to standardized forum terminology and call them "private messages" and not "direct messages"?
The problem is that the software is what calls them Direct Messages, not the admins. It's XenForo's term, we just use it. Changing it is likely non-trivial and even more likely to just break should we ever do an update.

Feel free to open a ticket on XenForo's forums that they should have configurable labels, then, perhaps, if they do that, we can change it then.

The problem is that the software is what calls them Direct Messages, not the admins. It's XenForo's term, we just use it. Changing it is likely non-trivial and even more likely to just break should we ever do an update.

Feel free to open a ticket on XenForo's forums that they should have configurable labels, then, perhaps, if they do that, we can change it then.
I think you have not understood the situation. The name "Direct Messages" is a customization done by the admins of this forum. Feel free to re-read this thread and get acquainted with the situation.

I agree. New acronyms and naming conventions for no real reason are pretty annoying. If its the same thing, keep it the same name.

This Direct Message thing is a lost crusade, creates confusion, and disregards users' learned skills.

Xenforo does not call them Private Messages (PM) out of the box, they are called "Conversations" which in my opinion is even more confusing. So they had to be renamed anyway and I renamed them to Direct Message (DM) rather than PM. I dislike the name Private Message because it implies something that is simply not true on this platform, they are not private. They are, however, a direct message to someone, viewable by the people in the chain, the admins, and in some cases the mods.

And yes, it should be consistent, and we are definitely working on that. I just changed the page you pointed out, which was just a copy and paste from the old forum.

I was aware of that reasoning. It's like saying your email Inbox is not private because your postmaster could theoretically read it.

That reasoning holds no water.

Email is not, in fact, private, hell it's technically possible to read email when it's in flight, and whomever manages your inbox has completely control over it, and can read anything in your inbox should they want to, and I guarantee their terms and conditions say something about this. So I would also never refer to email as private (or secure for that matter).

Am loving the new software.. so much better than previous.

My only nit, and I was looking through the posts here to see if anyone hit it already (apologies if I missed it). But using the forum search doesn't go very well. If I do a search for say 'ADM-1', or almost any term, it complains that the search terms are too broad and Oops! ran into problems pops up.

Others have mentioned the search feature not working well. I believe a few have suggested using wild cards such as "ADM*" might work better.

Is there any way to disable the automatic smiles?

The PDP-8 OS/8 drive/file DER:DER.SV doesn't quite look right...

Dave

Is there any way to disable the automatic smiles?

The PDP-8 OS/8 drive/file DER:DER.SV doesn't quite look right...

Dave

Yes. I can remove the text replacement for the smilies, I just removed the 8) one. And I changed the :D one to :biggrin: (that's : biggrin : minus the spaces)

A quick look at the others and I can't see anything obvious there that could be an issue.

I agree with Dave, these are annoying. Seems like if you want to really put one in you use the "smilies" button. I was too late and had starting writing this before I noticed Lutiana had replied. How about the ": )"? That's the one I use most. Thanks.

Back