• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Programming a PALCE22V10?

thenzero

Experienced Member
I feel kind of dumb here. Went to order a GAL22V10 from Jameco and instead ended up with a Cypress PALCE22V10 (see here).

As far as I can tell from the datasheet this should be a drop in replacement for the GAL22V10.

However, it doesn't appear in the list of chips in the software for my programmer (TL86II+). I tried using various similar chip settings and although the programmer apparently can read the chip, it errors out with an overvoltage warning when trying to write.

So my question is...Does anyone know of a way to program a PALCE22V10 with a TL86II+?

PALCEs are generally functionally compatible with GALV, but programming is vendor-unique. And most vendors keep/kept their programming algorithms as a trade secret.

Thank you Chuck. In searching the forums I did come across at least one other person using these specific chips in a project so I have to believe there's some way to program them. (see this post).

I found a post from the maker of the TL86II+ on their forum stating that this chip is not supported by their programmer. Dang. Waste of $7, I guess.

I didn't see a mention of PALCE; only GAL22V10. Not exactly equivalent as regards programming algorithms.

Another pothole in the road is getting PEEL chips instead of GALs. Yes, functionally identical, but with very different programming.

Chuck- I saw that he called them GALs, but he referred to the exact Jameco part no. for these PALCE22V10D-15PC chips. Perhaps he made the same mistake I did.

From looking at my Data I/O wall chart from 1991, the PALCE22V10 was made by AMD/MMI not Cypress. I checked my Wellon VP-299 which I use for the ATMEL/Microchip ATF22V10B parts and it can not handle the older PALCE parts. You would need an old model type of programmer.

I don't have anything to offer other than condolences, alas, but this did catch my eye because I think I saw that same listing a month ago. Spent a bit of time trying to suss out if it was just a GAL stamped with a different part number/slash/if my 866II would support it if wasn't, and elected to pass either way.

(Pretty much all of my electronics fiddling these days involves GALs because, well, why buy a million different flavors of 74xxx logic when a GAL can emulate most of it? Just program it and stuff it in the breadboard.) ;)

I used to own a Xeltek Logic Programmer and used it to program quite a few of the AMD PALCE..V.. chips. I think it's quite probable that other Xeltek programmers would also support this series.

I’ve got a xeltek superpro 280u, and it’s on the list, but I’ve had things be on the list that didn’t actually work with it, like Motorola MCM68766.

I don't have anything to offer other than condolences, alas, but this did catch my eye because I think I saw that same listing a month ago. Spent a bit of time trying to suss out if it was just a GAL stamped with a different part number/slash/if my 866II would support it if wasn't, and elected to pass either way.

(Pretty much all of my electronics fiddling these days involves GALs because, well, why buy a million different flavors of 74xxx logic when a GAL can emulate most of it? Just program it and stuff it in the breadboard.) ;)

DUDE!! I actually really appreciate the commiseration. I feel like Jameco is being at least a little misleading with the entry for these chips. It says right at the top "Generic Array Logic"! Which, they are definitely not!

These are definitely PALCE22V10 and definitely not programmable with the TL86II+!

Anyway. Someone at work told me we may have a programmer that will program these chips but even if not, at least I only bought two ($7). I've got a handful of actual GAL22V10 on the way.

By the way...I love the idea of using the GAL22V10 on the breadboard! Will definitely try that out.

I have a BP Microsystems device programmer which lists support for AMD, Cypress, and Lattice branded PALCE22V10 parts.

I wonder why they wouldn't be supported by some of the other common device programmers, maybe they just don't have access to the programming algorithm details from the device manufactures. They don't require high programming voltages as some older EPROMs do.

I'm set for life with AMD AmPAL22V10 OTP parts. Somehow I ended up with over 4000 of those in factory new boxes.

Back