• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RK05 emulator: Vermont Research Corporation VRC 8256, documentation wanted

Roland Huisman

Veteran Member
Hi, today I've got this wonderful RK05 disk emulator. In fact it is a double drive with a 'fixed platter' and a 'removable disk'. The 'fixed' part always loads the same disk image from the zip disk. So that is for your OS. You can load another disk image onto the 'removable disk' by selecting the image number with the switch on the right top corner. I've got it with some little power problems, one broken display and an oxidated connector pin, but it is up and running again.

But... There is space for a lot more memory chips. So I wonder, can I emulate a RK05F too? And the unit is configured for 12 sector packs. I wonder if it is possible to set it for 16 sector packs as well... There are many jumpers and dip switches in the drive. I don't want to mess with it, but I would love to have any documentation for this device. And even a user manual would be great, I don't have any documentation about this drive. In fact I could not find any information at all on the internet about the drive... Forum member Geerol58 explained to me how to use it, that is all the information I have.

So any information would be highly appreciated :D

Regards, Roland

01 VRC 8256 back online.jpg
02 VRC 8256 back.jpg
03 VRC 8256 connection.jpg
04 VRC 8256 open.jpg
05 VRC 8256 main board.jpg
06 VRC 8256 TIL311.jpg
07 VRC 8256 scsi controller.jpg
08 VRC 8256 label.jpg
09 VRC 8256 sefvice.jpg

Very impressive. Never heard of one or knew it existed. Good luck finding docs. Looks cool.

The RK05F appears as two normal RK05 for the controller. So yes, you can emulate an RK05F. Just setup for two RK05 and there you are.
Really. The RK05F have twice the density on the disk, but the disk interface and the controller was never designed for this. So the simple solution was to just have the RK05F respond to two drive numbers, and give half of the disk for each drive.

The RK05F appears as two normal RK05 for the controller. So yes, you can emulate an RK05F. Just setup for two RK05 and there you are. Really. The RK05F have twice the density on the disk, but the disk interface and the controller was never designed for this. So the simple solution was to just have the RK05F respond to two drive numbers, and give half of the disk for each drive.

Yes I know, a RK05F shows up as two separate RK05 drives. But I was wondering if I can expand this unit with more memory to show up as two RK05F (or four RK05) drives for example. I'm just curious because there are so much open memory positions. I assume this unit was bought preconfigured and was not meant for custom changes. So that is why I'm searching for technical documentation and the user manual.

Regards, Roland

Hi Dave, yes I've seen these too, and I'm afraid that a real RK05 is cheaper... :rolleyes: I have a pile of RK11D controller boards which are broken and I don't want to stress a real RK05 on it while debugging. So I'm very happy with this clone....

Regards, Roland

Hi Jack,

That is a beauty! I didn't know that VRC was such an old brand. So they were clearly very active in the computer market. I had never heard from this brand before...

Still hope some VRC 8256 information pops up.

Regards, Roland

Yes I know, a RK05F shows up as two separate RK05 drives. But I was wondering if I can expand this unit with more memory to show up as two RK05F (or four RK05) drives for example. I'm just curious because there are so much open memory positions. I assume this unit was bought preconfigured and was not meant for custom changes. So that is why I'm searching for technical documentation and the user manual.

Regards, Roland

Well, my point was that nothing ever shows up as an RK05F. If you want to emulate two RK05F, it is identical to emulating four RK05. And from a software point of view, it will, in both cases, look like four RK05, even with real hardware. So there is pretty much no point in ever emulating an RK05F. If the emulator can do multiple RK05 drives, then you're good. If not, then you're stuck.

Back