• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So My kids threw out a piece of primary test equipment.....

I used Flukes many many years ago. They were the industry standard handhelds. In the early 90s while working in an unrelated job I started shopping around for one. Car repairs and other expenses prevented it. Anyway in more recent years I went shopping for a Fluke again. Only to find out they weren't made in the US, like most everything else, in China. They moved a long way from their roots. I don't get excited over Chinese made anything these days. You can do what you want. You're the master of your own destiny.

Be glad you didnt buy a house where the clearly uninformed bonehead owners bought ONLY LG and BOSH appliances for everything.. Oh I hate our appliances.........

Don't forget Viking either..... wait til you see the repair/replacement costs. Like vintage computing, sometimes small elegant and and simply designed is the way to go - easier to understand and maintain.

Sell them to a mad scientist for genetic experiments. You should make enough on the sale to get a REALLY nice new meter...

g.

Be glad you didnt buy a house where the clearly uninformed bonehead owners bought ONLY LG and BOSH appliances for everything.. Oh I hate our appliances.........

Now what the heck is wrong with a LG 55 incher from 2008 that still works?

Sell them to a mad scientist for genetic experiments. You should make enough on the sale to get a REALLY nice new meter...

g.[/QUOTE

No mad scientists around here, they're all nice and easy to get along with. :razz:

Now what the heck is wrong with a LG 55 incher from 2008 that still works?

I dont need a tv that big.. They are eyesores. I have a projector in my bedroom for a 120" display with remote controlled screen so its a hideaway.

Sorry not a fan of korean stuff. Before lucky and goldstar merged i had experience with goldstar tvs and computer monitors and vcrs but i dont much care for thier lg stuff now a days. And my RCA 46" tv is from 2009.. So what is that supposed to be a long time? Not to me it isnt.

I dont need a tv that big.. They are eyesores. I have a projector in my bedroom for a 120" display with remote controlled screen so its a hideaway.

Sorry not a fan of korean stuff. Before lucky and goldstar merged i had experience with goldstar tvs and computer monitors and vcrs but i dont much care for thier lg stuff now a days. And my RCA 46" tv is from 2009.. So what is that supposed to be a long time? Not to me it isnt.

13 years for any TV ain't bad these days. Also, no room for a projector in my bar.

Are you sure that your "RCA" TV wasn't made in Korea? In the consumer electronics space RCA hasn't been any more than a label since, man, like 1988. Any television with an RCA label made in the last few decades has more than decent odds of having come from Korea. (The brand was owned for a long time by "Technicolor SA", formally Thomson, a French multinational. It looks like they sold it to the ON corporation, a Korean company, around 2010. A 2009 TV was *probably* made by TCL in China but it's not a sure thing.)

Are you sure that your "RCA" TV wasn't made in Korea? In the consumer electronics space RCA hasn't been any more than a label since, man, like 1988. Any television with an RCA label made in the last few decades has more than decent odds of having come from Korea. (The brand was owned for a long time by "Technicolor SA", formally Thomson, a French multinational. It looks like they sold it to the ON corporation, a Korean company, around 2010. A 2009 TV was *probably* made by TCL in China but it's not a sure thing.)

Kind of reminds me of Sanyo which you don't around so much these days. They used to be referred to as the RCA of the east.

My rca tv was made in china. And im aware rca hasnt been an american company in forever. I thought thats common knowledge.
Regardless i love my tv. Dont want nor need a new one as its 1080 which is good enough for me.

I'll be honest, I'm very happy with the fact that I have not had to replace overheated capacitors on the power supply board. Considering I've had to repair so many flat screen monitors and TVs with that ailment over the years

Last edited:
Considering I've had to repair so many flat screen monitors and TVs with that ailment over the years
As cheap as TV's are these days, once they're out of warranty and happen to fail, I wouldn't waste my time attempting to repair one.

I would. Because most "new" things are worse than what they are replacing. And its relatively easy. And $500 is no small number.

My neighbor threw out a 14" Toshiba tvdvd combo unit. Strange that the viewable tube seems smaller then my Commie 1702. Whatever. It works, I'm happy. The actual "big" tv in the house never gets turned on. I watch shows on my laptop or at a friend's.

My neighbor threw out a 14" Toshiba tvdvd combo unit. Strange that the viewable tube seems smaller then my Commie 1702. Whatever. It works, I'm happy. The actual "big" tv in the house never gets turned on. I watch shows on my laptop or at a friend's.

My son will watch a movie on his iPhone and I asked him why, and he says "because I can".

Back