• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Sol Prototype Project

falter

Veteran Member
I decided to do this as a separate thread from my original post in Other because I have what I need now and am proceeding.

Anyway, a background. I've for years known the basic story behind the Sol 20, and had been under the impression that it evolved from what was originally envisioned as a terminal (hence its name). I had never seen the pure terminal version nor bothered to look up the original article that introduced it. I simply stumbled onto it one day and saw the front cover of Popular Electronics, July 1976 and saw a prototype-looking unit with a keyboard that looked suspiciously like one I had. Sure enough, it more or less was. I started reading more and of course, later, found the artwork for the original motherboard. I became really intrigued at that point because the motherboard clearly looked set up to do more than mere terminal duty - it had multiple ROM sockets and an S100 connector. I then read that Processor Tech essentially called it a terminal to deke around Popular Electronics' reputed ban on new projects involving computers (I don't know if that's true or not). I did find it interesting how the 'optional' ROMs were mentioned in the article with little or no explanation about what they did. Had a definite cloak and dagger feel!

Naturally once I realized I, again, had the correct keyboard to build a replica of an important prototype, I put it on my future project list. Now, looking at the artwork, I expect it to be extremely challenging. The only copy of the artwork I've found is messy, to say the least, and that particular design is reputed to be unfinished/unworkable. Reputed.

And this is where the story gets kind of convoluted. Was this 'prototype' a one off to herald the arrival of the eventual Sol-20? The article advertised boards for sale, in addition to the artwork provided in a construction guide you could mail out for. I've never seen and have not been able to find any pictures or auctions or anything in private collections I'm aware of that shows that first design board made it into the hands of the public. But if they were selling plans, you'd assume probably at least some did.

Anyway, to resolve the matter I decided to try emailing the designer, Lee Felsenstein. I didn't expect him to answer, being (I'm sure) a busy guy and a bit famous and probably not having time to answer queries from some random stranger about work from 40 years ago. But to my delight, he did answer. My questions to him were: what were the ROM sockets for? Could you run CONSOL or SOLOS on this board? Was this purely a 'terminal' or was it a computer from the start? Did any get built beyond the cover unit? And where is the cover unit?

I asked a lot more politely than that of course. :) Anyway, Lee very generously answered, and his answer leaves a few more question marks. He said the unit that appeared on the cover of PE was indeed a prototype of what would become the Sol-20. Without confirming or denying that the ROM code for SOLOS worked on that unit, he simply said the ROM code was printed in the manual. He said the prototype cover unit still exists and is owned by Bob Marsh. The tape deck seen was non-functional, and that only two boards were made -- the one in it, and a unit he has that required some 100 wires to work. He did not indicate if any of those first design boards were sold. I did ask but did not receive a response in a second email and declined to pester him further. To read what he said over again, it sounds like this was a prototype that was a one off, and it almost sounds like whatever boards Processor Tech was providing were likely the boards used in the eventual Sol 20. But the thing that throws a spanner into that is that PT/PE were sending out construction guides with this first motherboard design. They advised it was complex and offered pre-made boards for those not skilled enough to fab one themselves. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd be shipping out artwork for one design and selling kit boards for another.

But anyway, there you have it. And it is my intention to build another copy of the prototype, someday. Certainly I can accomplish the case, keyboard, etc. To a degree -- there are no color photos of that unit. I don't know how to get in touch with Bob Marsh and I'm not sure if he'd want to share that info. But I'm imagining the case was probably 'IBM blue' like the later -20 and probably the wood is the same as the -20 also.

From there, recreating the board will be a huge challenge. As I said, the artwork is really messy, but I think it's salvageable. It would be a monumental task to line everything up perfectly (it is double-sided), but that's part of the fun. I never go into these things with unrealistic expectations. If I end up with a non-functional unit that *looks like* the prototype, I'm happy. If it works, what a great story, right?

For those curious - here is a link to the artwork: http://www.sol20.org/articles/img/PE_SOL.pdf Check out that S100 connector way off in the corner where it'd be kind of tricky to use in any sort of case.

Last edited:
Took a break from TVT building and plunged headfirst into the terminal project.

This is going to be oodles harder than any of the others:

1) Very tightly packed, thin traces.
2) Messy artwork.
3) It's double-sided
4) At 9.5x13.5, this is way bigger than any board I've ever made

To simplify things, I'm going to call the artwork I'm using the 'prototype' artwork. From what I now understand, readers of PE could write in for plans to build their own Sol terminal using this artwork. However, there were also drilled and etched boards on offer, and what eventually shipped was *not* using this design. It was using what became the Sol-20 design, with personality modules and all that. In three weeks of searching I have not found a single instance of someone building using the prototype design, and the sol20.org site says it didn't work.

Anyway, with a Mark-8 build and other stuff in the pipeline, it'll take me a long time to get there -- but I figure I'll start working on the artwork. The scan is regrettably messy (or the artwork itself was) and I need to clean it up and make sure we're not having any unwanted shorts. I used Threshold to black and white it.. and for now am using the marquee and fill tools to clean up the clutter one bit at a time. It'll take a long time this way and that sucks.. I'm hoping along the way I find a tool of some sort that'll help.

sol-photoshop-cleanup.jpg

I haven't quite wrapped my head around how I'll print the toner transfers for it. I'm thinking I will have to break it into segments somehow and print each side on multiple press'n'peel.

Could you print the toner transfer on a printer like an HP Laserjet 5si, 8500 series, etc... that can print tabloid 11x17 paper? That is if you can find tabloid sized press'n'peel...

I'm not sure I understand the photo resist etching process.. but I am thinking I get that photoresist stuff, apply it to a large pcb.. then use my Designjet to print on an 11x17 transparency for the UV process?

Well, a lot of what we used to use for photoetch has gone bye-bye. Kepro (the big small-quantitiy supplier) has been out of business since 2003 (hazmat probably did that do them).

You're really best off today using a commercial service. There are many of them, all reasonably priced, with excellent results.

This sounds like a very nice project! I have always liked the Sol-20 computer. Other than the keyboard foam discs it has been a reliable computer. Good luclk with your project! Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you need anything.

Thanks!! I think it should be a lot of fun. It'll be tricky.. especially the case, since I only have the one photo to work from. However, knowing the original keyboard dimensions (because I have one), I did attempt to scale it next to a real Sol.. the dimensions of which are known:

Prototype and Sol20 Together.jpg

Sort of. I did some calculations and I get a case width about the same as the Sol 20 (20 in), but a shorter depth.. 10.5 vs 18. That could fit but seems tight.. the board is 9.5 in deep. Height seems to come out at around 6.5".. at the highest point but that is still suspect to me.

What do you guys think? Anyone got a better estimate method?

Color wise it must be a dark color.. I can rule out green.. I'm thinking either blue like the Sol or black..

So yeah, this is going to be tedioussssss

Basically what I'm confronted with is a horrible scan job. Thankfully it didn't distort the artwork too much, but I don't know if the quality of the drawing was bad or what the deal is... all the traces are choppy and messed up, and of course some as a result are connected when they shouldn't be.

I'm basically using Photoshop, an hour a day, using the rectangle draw tool to clean these up. You can see where I've done a bit here:

traces.jpg

I'm wondering, is there a better way, before I invest many hours in this? I have to do this for two sides, top and bottom. It will take eons but I will do it if there's no other way. I've had it suggested that I farm it out to a PCB fab place, but a) that's expensive and b) that's now how the hobbyist of the day would have done it.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I've tried messing around with various tools in Photoshop to smooth the lines out but no dice so far.

Try using Adobe Illustrator to convert to vector? That would give the cleanest results.

I thought about that but from what I saw in videos it was the same deal -- have to trace the whole thing again. Unless there's some converter or such.

Illustrator can convert raster to vector, then you'd clean up the vector files... the end result would be a lot smoother on the edges and solid in the middle, also a lot sharper.

My TVT project is nearing completion so I'm starting to look more closely at my Sol prototype project.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any fancy math-wizardly ways to figure out the height and depth of this thing:

http://www.sol20.org/articles/PE-7-76-p35.jpg

That and the cover photo are all I have to work with. I can sort of divine the width because I have the same keyboard, so that dimension is known. Depth is a bit trickier and height.. from that photo.. yikes.

The case top shape is also hard to make out. Sometimes when I look at it it looks sort of like the Sol-20 case -- a gradual rise from the front just past the keyboard, then a sharp 90 degree rise, then a mostly flat top to the back. But it's really hard to make out. Sometimes it looks like it's just a gradual rise from front to where it flattens out and the keyboard is just plunked in the middle.

In the photo above, if I squint while looking at the tape recorder.. it almost looks like you can see the faint outline of tape recorder buttons -- like two lighter coloured buttons faintly visible on left and right.

Wonder if there's a way to colorize the photo. I've seen that done for old Titanic photos, etc. Not sure how many reference colors they need. These are just really horrible photos - PE should have been flogged for using them. :) I've continued searching for a color shot somewhere but no dice. Seems like this thing did the cover shoot and then went into Bob Marsh's closet for the next 40 years.

Here's a picture of my SOL Terminal. I know it's not the same as the cassette model, but the keyboard looks similar. At least it is five keys deep and so it your picture. The key board in the case is 3 7/8" deep. I tried to print off your picture and draw some lines in an attempt to figure the depth, but I'm unsure whether my number is correct. I found 9 1/2". The fact that the keyboard is on an angle also messes with the perspective calc. This seems short, yet the picture looks short. My SOL is 17 1/2 inches deep. You have to figure there are s-100 cards, a power supply, the bottom of the cassette and key board in there. Hope this helps. Mike
View attachment 37273

The PE picture looks clearly fake, a cut-and-paste mockup. Perhaps they didn't actually have one yet when they wrote the article.

Aside from Illustrator two other tools available to you are Adobe Streamline and Inkscape, both of which can convert raster to vector, which is what you want.

It seems to me, though, that the hard part of the project is drilling holes in the right places.

-CH-

I know for sure the prototype is a real thing - Lee Felsenstein himself told me so, and that it is still in the possession of Bob Marsh. Regarding the height of the case -- bear in mind the board design in the prototype was completely different from that of the later Sol 20. I can't see your picture Mike_Z (says invalid attachment), but if it's a Sol 20 then probably not the same thing. The prototype board has the S100 connector at the back left hand side - the Sol-20's was moved more towards the center I think. I'm not sure any provision in the case was made for actually using the S100 slot as this was a one off. Here's the artwork:

http://www.sol20.org/articles/img/PE_SOL.pdf

I suspect perhaps the prototype wasn't quite perfect... Lee's account is that they were quite rushed to meet the magazine deadline, and Bob was always adding new features he wanted it to have. Lee said one of his prototype boards required nearly 100 wires to operate at all. It's not clear that the design above ever was sold to anyone in kit form -- seems to be the Sol-20 design won out, but that they did send out plans featuring the first version to those interested. I've yet to find any example of a Sol terminal built using the above board design.

I wish I could divine the color -- obviously dark -- probably not green or purple or brown.. so either black or dark blue I would think..

Within the July 1976 PE article is a photo of the wire-wrapped prototype board. Since the sizes of the various ICs is known, maybe you could then make an estimate of the size of that board, and then would that help you extrapolate to an approximate size of the prototype case?

Just a thought...

smp

UPDATE: It appears that I thought this was the wire-wrapped board due to the poor quality of the scan I have. Upon further inspection, it looks like the board is actually printed wiring. I think my suggestion remains valid though.

Last edited:
It's most likely the prototype board without the solder mask that Lee couldn't get working on his first trip to NY. It had a solder whisker or something if memory serves.

As for keyboard it looks like an early keytronic capacitive discharge just like the one that's on the Apple-1 at the Victoria and Albert museum in London. The production Sol used a newer and a little more complicated model with numeric keypad.

I expect the sides on the prototype to be similar in material to the production units since the story is they had access to a quantity of this gunstock material.

The rest of the case might be simply bent metal. Something you can recreate on a brake.

Yeah the keyboard is definitely Keytronic. I have the exact same one. Mine came from a mystery 8080 terminal off ebay. It has a few keys that are marked/coloured differently but otherwise is the same layout. The Computer History Museum also has one exactly like the Sol prototype attached to a CT1024 they have.

20170111_210007.jpg

I don't know how its encoder is set up. Hopefully ASCII since it was in a somewhat modern terminal.

I wish I had known about brakes before I did my TVT case.. did not realize just how hard bending metal into square corners would be!

Last edited:
Back