• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unknown Sears Color RGB monitor Clone? Is this a 1084 clone?

Spearmint oil, yellowjackets and wasps in general hate it. Brake cleaner kills em on contact though. ;)

We used to use diesel to wipe out a nest. When you're wading through waist-high grass and you hear an ominous buzz, run like hell--the buggers will chase you for about 50-100 yards.

Eeek.

Sometimes Im glad I live in cold & wet UK.

We have a few field mice that the cat brings home and an occasional squirrel running about, but not much else.

This thread has taken a strange turn :)

Looks like the connections in Post #2 were right then ?

Need an CGA video machine to test it.

Eeek.

Sometimes Im glad I live in cold & wet UK.

We have a few field mice that the cat brings home and an occasional squirrel running about, but not much else.

This thread has taken a strange turn :)

Looks like the connections in Post #2 were right then ?

Need an CGA video machine to test it.
I dont mind the Squirrels in fact for the first time in my life we have seen a pair of red squirrels. They were nesting in our wood pile. They just leave debris from eating lots of pine cones and make nests but thats the extent of it so it doesnt bother us. We get plenty of field mice and deer mice. I catch them mostly in the shed which is fine as long as they stay out of the house. Makes storing grass seed or wild bird seed and issue.

But of all the items which come with nature one is trully the biggest pain to me... Poison Ivy. And this mountain is covered in it.

I dont mind the Squirrels in fact for the first time in my life we have seen a pair of red squirrels. They were nesting in our wood pile. They just leave debris from eating lots of pine cones and make nests but thats the extent of it so it doesnt bother us. We get plenty of field mice and deer mice. I catch them mostly in the shed which is fine as long as they stay out of the house. Makes storing grass seed or wild bird seed and issue.

But of all the items which come with nature one is trully the biggest pain to me... Poison Ivy. And this mountain is covered in it.
We have both red and black squirrels in our backyard. The red type love the Bradford pear tree (miniature or stunted fruit), and will canvass the tree until every little pear has been picked. I also have a 8 x 8 wooden shed with a small hole in the front. The red squirrels deposit the small pears in or on any flat surface that they can find. Also, the chippies are now busy collecting the spinners coming down from the maple tree. Some of them look like a cartoon character with their cheeks stuffed full of maple tree seeds.

We have a shorter season up here so the trees just got thier leaves and no spinners yet. Unfortunately my nectarine tree's flowers didnt do well on one cold night so the whole tree has maybe 3 actual fruits growing. Strange since the Peach trees next to it are just fine.

We saw the black squirrels a month ago while visiting a college up in Michigan. My wife had never seen black squirrels before. Supposedly we have a few although I have never seen them here that I can recall... just like moose.

I note today that this is going to be a nasty yellowjacket season. I can't tell you how much I hate those bugs! Been stung lots.

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and I will attest that the yellowjackets there are the absolute worst. Vicious little ***tards. Just try having a summer picnic in the woods, especially anywhere near water, and get ready to end up hiding in the car. (Where you'll get stung anyway by the one little jerk that gets in and decides to punish you for driving away.)

we have traps. We fill them with the same red sweet stuff we put in our hummingbird feeders and they get inside and drown. We kill dozens but it doesnt make too big of a dent in them. I usually put them out when they start swarming the humming bird feeders and start harassing them.

I used a plain old PC with CGA with my monitor, as I recall. Worked fine, with the exception that yellow was yellow and not brown (as in the IBM 5153).

So I have the monitor repaired (still missing a knob, and borrowing it from a BMC monitor for the interim) and I am ready to start playing with the cable connecting various things. Going back to a thread of mine from 2020 https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?t...cards-for-cheap-including-ttl-rgb-card.77049/ I have another Apple II RGB card I need to repair the connector on before I can test it. I reached out to trash_44fr for his help is jotting down the pinout on his cable.

Last edited:
Ok so I have a question. I Am making a cable to connect the Sears monitor to an Apple RGB card. Going by these pinouts:
Pinout.jpg

Apple IIe RGB card:
Apple IIe RGB.png

The only sync for the IIe RGB card is Comp sync. Do I combine from pins 7 and 8 together on the monitor connector to pin 3 on the apple IIe RGB connector to achieve this?

Best if you can isolate VSYNC and HSYNC at the Apple end. Extraction from CSYNC is a bit more work--see for example, the datasheet for the GS4981. It could also be that the monitor is smart enough to separate sync from a composite signal. Then, there's the matter of sync polarity...
The arcade people may be the best resource for cheap-and-dirty remedies.

Also worth a read

The only sync for the IIe RGB card is Comp sync. Do I combine from pins 7 and 8 together on the monitor connector to pin 3 on the apple IIe RGB connector to achieve this?

Probably not, although this is actually a huge can of worms. Some monitors with separate sync lines will accept composite sync on one or both of the H/V lines as an undocumented feature, but some won't. There are schematics out there for building sync separator circuits; typically they use an LM1881, but there are also some that use more generic retriggerable flip-flops if the LM1881 that turns out to be hard to find.

There's an old newsgroup thread that claims the IBM 5153 CGA monitor will accept the composite sync output from the Apple RGB card as a valid sync if you invert it (for one or both lines?), but the thread is a mess and even inside it that comes with the proviso that trick may *just* work on that particular monitor.

Back