• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Vintage 1995 Pionex 486 DX2 66 Mhz Computer

Alright thanks for the info on the memory sticks.

So I should continue installing RAM until I find one that causes beeps in the system, indicating it is one that has failed? If not what should I try next?

That would be the logical step. And if they all work, it might just be that one needed to be re-seated.

Well I went through one stick at a time and none of them caused any beeps. Just reinstalled the video card again and still no beeps or display.

Last edited:
One at a time won't give reliable results. What if two (or more) of them are bad? :)

You need to start with four known good sticks of memory. Anything less than that and you'll just be spinning your wheels.

When you can get four sticks to work in another machine you can them put them in this machine.

Well I only got those 2 beeps indicating some issue with memory when a jumper had fallen off the video card which I noticed afterwards. All the other times I've gotten beeps it was for video errors. I've since put that jumper back on and haven't had the 2 beep code happen again. Also if it wasn't clear how I phrased it, I added a module each time I tested until all 8 modules were installed.

I don't have a cache of old computers or parts laying around so it would be quite a while before I'd have the opportunity to test that RAM in another computer or try another computer's SIMMs in this one.

Would it be unusual for more than one RAM to be dead if that is an issue with the computer? I read RAM is one of the longer lasting components in PCs typically.

Last edited:
1) Anything can go bad.

2) You don't need all eight sticks to perform the test. You only need one Bank (4 sticks).

Try it with one set of four -- preferably the sticks from the second bank as they're the ones you haven't been trying to boot from previously.

FWIW 1, 2, or 3 sticks of memory is the same as ZERO!!! It takes FOUR sticks of memory to fire up that machine. Anything less is just a complete waste of time. Same with the second Bank -- four sticks or nothing.

Alright I'll try again. Which modules are in what you call the second bank? The 4 4mb or 4 1mb sticks?

The page I read on how to do this test said with no ram installed then adding a stick at a time.Thanks for letting me know it's different with this machine.

Only an 8-bit machine can run with one stick! I don't know of any like that. :)

A 486DX is a 32-bit machine, hence 4 sticks of 8-bit each are required per bank.

I don't know which is which on your machine so try four and then try the other four. And, try them each in both Banks because it's possible the board won't boot unless the memory is in the first Bank (whichever that is).

With all the RAM installed where it was originally but the video card removed it gave a video error beep code. I'm still planning on trying my older monitor when I get my hands on it to see if my new monitor is simply incompatible with the video card, though in the meanwhile I'm willing to continue troubleshooting. Also if it's relevant the fans have engaged on my tests.

What would you recommend I try next then?

Last edited:
The monitor makes no difference. A (properly configured) machine will boot with a video card and no monitor attached to it. If you're getting a video error beep it's the card, not the monitor that's the problem. The POST doesn't test the monitor, just the card. Try another video card -- any video card -- whether you have a monitor for it or not.

The monitor makes no difference. A (properly configured) machine will boot with a video card and no monitor attached to it. If you're getting a video error beep it's the card, not the monitor that's the problem. The POST doesn't test the monitor, just the card. Try another video card -- any video card -- whether you have a monitor for it or not.

Well, he also doesn't have an AT keyboard, and I've seen a few machines that do actually refuse to boot without a keyboard attached (usually a 'Keyboard Error or Keyboard Not Present -- Press F1 to Continue'). I told him to try his CRT because if his LCD is being picky about the signal he'd at least be able to see that message on his CRT.

The video card installed plugs into an ISA slot and VLB slot.
No, it just plugs into a VLB slot!

VLB cards can be notoriously difficult to seat correctly and *that* could be your problem.

Well, he also doesn't have an AT keyboard, and I've seen a few machines that do actually refuse to boot without a keyboard attached (usually a 'Keyboard Error or Keyboard Not Present -- Press F1 to Continue'). I told him to try his CRT because if his LCD is being picky about the signal he'd at least be able to see that message on his CRT.
FWIW, I don't have any 486 boards that will boot without a keyboard without giving an error, 2 beeps, sound familiar? However, it's a non-fatal error and the system can be configured to continue to boot without the keyboard. Of course you need video to set it up this way. :)

FWIW, I don't have any 486 boards that will boot without a keyboard without giving an error, 2 beeps, sound familiar? However, it's a non-fatal error and the system can be configured to continue to boot without the keyboard. Of course you need video to set it up this way. :)

Yeah, most of them will beep for that. Mine actually won't, though (although it continues booting anyway after throwing a keyboard error and it looks like there's no way to configure anything about that in my particular BIOS setup).

I'd agree it isn't too easy to get the board into the VESA slot, but I keep at it until I know it's secure now. The one time I thought I had it in and tried it it gave the video error beep code as it did when I had it completely removed, so I went back and got it in correctly and then it didn't beep at all like usual.

So as far as the keyboard goes, should I buy a PS/2 to 5-pin din adapter so I can hook my old PS/2 keyboard to the machine? Was hoping I had one I forgot about but apparently I don't. I'd rather not have to buy a 5-pin din keyboard if the adapter option would work also.

Also just as far as information-wise, you said it just plugs into a VLB slot. I figured just the short brown slot was considered a VLB slot while the longer black ones were ISA. The video card plugs into both adjacent to one another, so you're saying when those two are combined that's what is known as a VESA local bus?

Lastly, I only got the 2 beep code when I found a jumper had fallen off the video card at some point during installation and I powered the PC on. I don't know if that's what caused it but I haven't gotten it again since I put it back on.

Last edited:
Yeah, most of them will beep for that. Mine actually won't, though (although it continues booting anyway after throwing a keyboard error and it looks like there's no way to configure anything about that in my particular BIOS setup).
Mine has ... Wait for <F1> on any error. ... as a configuration option. So if I turn that off it shows the error on the screen then proceeds to continue booting. That's on the 486. The Pentium always boots without a keyboard and I can even plug it in after it has booted.

I'd agree it isn't too easy to get the board into the VESA slot, but I keep at it until I know it's secure now. The one time I thought I had it in and tried it it gave the video error beep code as it did when I had it completely removed, so I went back and got it in correctly and then it didn't beep at all like usual.

So as far as the keyboard goes, should I buy a PS/2 to 5-pin din adapter so I can hook my old PS/2 keyboard to the machine? Was hoping I had one I forgot about but apparently I don't. I'd rather not have to buy a 5-pin din keyboard if the adapter option would work also.

Also just as far as information-wise, you said it just plugs into a VLB slot. I figured just the short brown slot was considered a VLB slot while the longer black ones were ISA. The video card plugs into both adjacent to one another, so you're saying when those two are combined that's what is known as a VESA local bus?

Lastly, I only got the 2 beep code when I found a jumper had fallen off the video card at some point during installation and I powered the PC on. I don't know if that's what caused it but I haven't gotten it again since I put it back on.

What video card do you have, by the way, and what is that jumper labeled?

Back