• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Operating System do you use?

What Operating System do you use?

• Total voters
Operating systems.

Operating systems.

In my stable I have CP/M 2.22 and 3.0, TRS-DOS 1.3,2.3 and 4.3, MSDOS 3.22, and 6.22, WFW 3.11, Win95, 98, 98SE, Win2K, WinXP Pro, MAC OS 8.5, Ubuntu Linux, Mandriva Linux, Solaris 10 and Geos 2.0 for C=64 and C=128.

Some fun, eh?
Rick Ethridge

Right now I'm a tad on topic, I've been experimenting with FreeDOS on my retro machines for less important day-to-day tasks. I've not run an 80486 this much on the daily since 2005.

I'm also using Linux Mint a lot, and may be getting away from Micro$hafts OSes forever. I worked for them for 7 years and evangelized the heck out of ten when it came out...sorry to say....but it's been so terrible lately at work and occasionally at home I've decided to make the switch. I don't really think Microsoft cares much anyway, they seem to be on a disposable cloud device path these days.

For FreeDOS, all browsing is in Links, I'm still "auditioning" email clients. I'm also building an Ubuntu based server so a Web Rendering Proxy could be in my future as well.

What operating system do I use?

Day to day, it's Windows 10, MacOS Catalina, Ubuntu Server 18 and 20, Cisco iOS. Less frequently I work on Debian 9, Raspbian and Windows 7.

I have gotten to the point where I don't really notice what OS it is, I just use it to do what I need to do.

13 years later this old thread comes back.

Anyways I use Windows 10 these days. Sometimes Linux. Depends if Linux is going to do what I want it to do, otherwise I just stay in Windows.

I was a Windows XP die-hard for years - skirted the Vista dumpster-fire, hated 7's removal of UI configuration options and forcing the Playskool Activity Center bar into Windows Explorer, loathed 8's terrible attempts to be a tablet OS, and the 10 rollout was such an ongoing disaster for so many of my clients that I decided I was well and truly done with Windows if that was how things were going to be. Jumped ship to Devuan at that point and haven't run Windows outside of work machines and occasional legacy purposes (never did get a satisfactory MIDI sequencing/audio recording setup going under freenix) for probably four or five years now. I still miss XP; it was showing its age by then, but it was still simple, straightforward, and refreshingly free of bullshit.

I use Windows for the most part, but I seem to be using DOS more and more now for whatever reason. On my modern stuff I use Windows 10 but I want to switch to Linux at some point because I hate where Microsoft is taking it

Back