• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Operating System do you use?

What Operating System do you use?

• Total voters
Looking back at this thread at the time it had started, I was trying every OS I could lay my hands on. After all this time I setteled on two, Windows XP (ugh) and my all time favorite SuSE. I've actually decided to make the full switch to Linux as soon as the warranty on my Tower is up. I'm not going to use Vista, too bloated and I'm sick of the constant security problems of Windows. UNIX just seems like the better choice for me. And SuSE is free, you can't beat the price. :)

-VK

on my athlon 64 3700+ i have a dual boot configured for Windows XP Pro and Debian 3.1
i'm usually in debian, but i spend some time under windows too.

i also have a pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) machine that i only have debian installed on. (can you guess which linux distro is my favorite yet?)

on my older machines i tend to use MS-DOS 6.22 of course :)

A bit related; I've ordered an IBM eServer (*) which will arrive on Thursday. The supported Linux distros are RedHat and SuSE. I'm more experienced in Debian, but having experience of radically different Un*x implementations, I don't think I would get stuck in another system. Currently I'm considering whether to install an officially supported distro or stick with what I know best. Mostly I'm concerned that the RAID 1, which I never configured before, will be supported in the distro I choose.

(*) It was on special sale, so cheaper than nearest matching Dell or HP. Good, because I don't like neither Dell nor HP.

what do you think i use?
on daily base :
OS X
powermac G5, iMac G5, Powermac G4, Mac mini G4, Powerbook G4 ....

OS 9.1 on a Tam

i do not have one Mac "intel inside", these are powerfull,
but most of my pro software isn't available as universal version
so, i wait until the apps are released and are running bugfree

Let's see

Back when I was using an Apple//c I used ProDos (sadly my father threw the //c in the garbage one day :cry: . For the machine I'm using right now: Windows XP :roll: for the Hyperion an early version of Ms-Dos. For the AirLink: windows 3.1 or Gem (ok... basically Dos). I also have a Pentium II running Windows 95, and a Mac SE running OS 7.

billdeg wrote:

this has nothing to do with vintage computing.

My post did! :-((

This is the Vintage Computer Forum and they were asking which operating system everyone used. At least put the 'nix, Windows, Mac OS OSes in the General Discussion - or make a section for Other Computer Discussions as mentioned previously, otherwise it'll mess up this forum because it's becoming more prolific.

This really is a terrible thread because from the get-go it's been about portraying the newer OSes and it was simply posted in the Vintage Computer Section.

The other problem - which never seems to be resolved is what people see as vintage. If you apply the 10 year rule, people can discuss things like Linux, Free BSD, Pentiums, Windows 95 - even CD-ROMs and the possibilities of burning them and of course even Internet can be discussed. The problem is Computers haven't come all that far in the last 10 years - simple fact, oh sure computers get faster and bigger (with Hard Disk & RAM) and of course Internet has changed a little bit and Broadband comes into play - however the concepts (what you could do 10 years ago and now) remain the same.

It's these issues which are surfacing because different people define Vintage differently - sadily 10 years ago you could just about have what there is now, perhaps no USB though the concepts from Windows 95 to XP remain simular - though really the possibilities to have Win 3.1x like Win95 is also a possibility.

CP/M User.

I believe this belongs in general from reading previous posts.

Anyway, hwere's I what I run on everything....
8088 XT - DR-DOS 6.0
286 GEM - MS-DOS 6.22 w/ Win 1.01/2.03/3.0/3.1
CAT 486 - Windows 95 OSR2/Windows For Workgroups 3.11
IBM PS/2 9556 SLC2 - OS/2 2.1 w/ Win OS/2 (Windows 3.1 for OS/2)
Flight K-6 200 - Windows 98 SE
GEM PIII - Windows 2000 Prof/RedHat Fedora Core 5

IBM Thinkpad 755CD - Windows 98 SE
IBM Thinkpad I-Series 1400 - Windows 98 SE
Everex StepNote NC1500 - Windows XP Home

Macintosh SE FDHD - Mac OS 7.5
Macintosh 6400/180 - Mac OS 8.1

On top of it, I have copies of OS/2 2.0, Slackware Linux 96', RedHat Linux 6.0 "Cartman", Windows ME, and an early Vista Beta, none of which I use...I have them more for popping them on some poor ol' machine0 for "entertainment".

I use windows XP. I like it the most since it is what i am used to and have used it the longest. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to vista or wait until I have to get a new computer that already supports it. I can't upgrade now since my bios won't work with Vista. Gives me an excuse to stick with what I like most.

What is vintage?

What is vintage?

There seems to be some discussion about what products should be considered vintage and what should not...

I don't think you can put a specific date on it, more of a gut reaction really.

How about this? Was it ground-breaking or somehow revolutionary? Or just an improvement on existing technology, ie, bigger, faster, quieter?

Anyway, on OS issues...

I hate to think of them as "vintage" but we use a lot of OS/2 Warp 3 and 4, some DOS, and OS/400 (from IBM's AS/400). We've got a couple of Win 2000 desktops, for compatibity with certain customers, but I try not to use them myself.

Of course, there are also things that we use "only occasionally" or for hobby purposes such as RDOS, AOS/VS (both by Data General) PC-MOS (by the Software Link), Linux and SCO unix.

I grew up on Apples, but don't remember much about ProDOS. I have rather fond memories of Appleworks, however. These fond memories tend to crop up when I'm trying to figure out how to put page numbers in a Word document.

I use windows XP

I use windows XP

(short for expiration package) I want to delete it and its predecessors form the face of the earth. Not that it is totaly useless, but most programs that I run across threaten to give me an ulcer.

O/s

O/s

I use WinXP, 2K, 98SE, OS/X, AppleDos, and MS-DOS 5. I'm kool like that. Every one whose anybody(Vintage enthusiast) uses DOS at least 4 of 7 days a week. I also have the co,mplete set of disks/manuals fow Windows 1.03 full version. When I get a computer to run it on(soon) I will use it too.

Last edited:
Nice! If only I had the room to be busting out one of my x86 machines permanently, I'd be using MS-DOS alot too! Well, if you count the Command Prompt, I guess I'll use THAT like 5 times a day!

Retromaster wrote:

I run Windows XP/2000, used to run 98, and have used a 1993 version of windows, not sure what.

Back in 1993 you could have been using Windows 3.1, though 3.0 was the breakthrough in 1990 though was riddled with bugs.

Otherwise it could have been Windows NT v4.x if you were Networking to a great extent.

Windows 3.11 came out in 1994, which was simply 3.1 with a bit more hardware support.

Back