• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Operating System do you use?

What Operating System do you use?

• Total voters
I just noticed that I have OpenBSD, and FreeBSD on the poll twice. Sorry about that. If you want to vote for these two, use their specific option. Assume the other choice says "Solaris, and other UNIX's"

Maybe, keeping windows 98 running is like trying to use the opposite of your dominant hand! I really want to try OS X. I've been trying to get the newer version running on a standard PC.

I run Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition (Enterprise is WAY too expensive) on my Athlon 64 gaming PC, Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on my Athlon XP (and the Pentium 4 I built and use at a D&D hangout), OS/2 2.0 on one of my oldie-moldies, MacOS X on my eMac G4, and Windows XP on my Dell workplace system.

At work I also administer Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Server 2003 Enterprise Edition servers (I built them too).

My next personal system is going to virtualise Windows and other operating systems inside of Debian, once the next release of Debian hits the streets with full, official, and stable x86-64 support.

Back in 1998 I gave a few interesting operating systems a shot, including RedHat Linux 5.2 and Windows NT 5.0.

You know how you always remember something as being better/worse than it really was... I thought Let's try out IBM Warp 4 again. Wow, what a dinosaur! Doesn't support IDE over 504 MB, drivers are hard to find (as expected). Anyway, I ended up purchasing a copy of Parallels Workstation 2.1. Works great with XP. So, I "use" DOS, Win98, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2 Warp, eComStation (OS/2 v4.5) and FreeDOS.
Oh, Microsoft decided to make the Virtual PC 2004 product a free download. Works almost a good as Parallels, priced right for how well it works.

I also use vanilla Debian Sarge on my file server, and my current workstation and notebook distro is Slackware 10.2 (hoping 11.0 comes out soon).

I also mess around with pretty much any Linux/Unix version I can install on a i386 machine.

chuckcmagee said:
You know how you always remember something as being better/worse than it really was... I thought Let's try out IBM Warp 4 again. Wow, what a dinosaur! Doesn't support IDE over 504 MB, drivers are hard to find (as expected).

Try Hobbes for your OS/2 needs, especially updated IDE drivers and fixpaks.

I am running Warp 3 Connect with fixpack 42 on a Dell Optiplex GX100 900 mhz PIII with 512 MB of RAM, a 20 GB hdd and a 54X Cd-ROM. The internal video card is supported from Dell as are the sound card and network card. The BIOS emulates PS/2 ports so my USB mouse works in OS/2. I can dual boot with DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11.

It is unbelievably fast. It more than smokes Windows 9X and is pretty close to win2k. Too bad it can only support 16 bit windows programs tho... :-(

Still, Civilization II for Windows runs great and plays the videos. :)

If you don't want that OS/2 warp 4 install disk, I'd be glad to take it off of your hands....

Anybody here ever use NEXTSTEP for Intel? I have the boot floppy and install CDROM here but I've not tried it out yet - I'm assuming it would only work on older hardware such as a 486 or Pentium - but I'm sure it's an interesting piece of computing history...

I run windows 98se, I have had the same installation for 6 years counting, never reinstalled. I would like to replace the himem.sys with the "you must pay for it version" that takes care of most memory issues but haven't done so yet. (oddly enough the original creator of himem.sys has a nag site talking about how MS shafted them and was using a hacked version of himem from 1986 up into ME days and how their version is far superior and elimates many memory issues)

My main issue with 98 is that I bump the memory limitations when I am doing digital photo editing on large files, lots of reboots and must save often, otherwise when I am not doing that I can run for many weeks without issue.

I keep 98 because
A. Its cheap
B. 90% of my overpriced, proprietary, oddball business software cannot and will not run under XP at all (dongle issue)
C. I have over 1000 programs installed and counting that I play with that I would loose as I do not have installation media or backups :)

Cheers
Ryan

chuckcmagee wrote:

> You know how you always remember something as being
> better/worse than it really was... I thought Let's
> try out IBM Warp 4 again. Wow, what a dinosaur!
> Doesn't support IDE over 504 MB, drivers are hard to
> find (as expected).

I was running V3 of OS/2 warp on a simular sized HD (think it
was 540) & had no problems with it - I vagerly recally
partitioning the drive cause I was using Warps Filing System
(HPFS wasn't it?) as well as setting a FAT for Windows 3.x &
DOS. There was support from IBM with Service Packs - I recall
them going upto 8Gb myself, though a bit of time has passed
since I was using it. I would have thought v4 would have
supported a larger HD though.

Wasn't all that bad a few years back though, I had a 486 with
16Mb RAM, the HD mentioned above up & running nicely on the
Internet (using Netscape v2.02), all on using V3 of Warp - I
just found it too big to manage & my HD had to die on me! :-((

Had lots of interesting Hobbyist Software out there for it
though.

CP/M User.

Warp 4 works great in a vitual machine so I'll hang on to the disks. They cost me $70 on ebay anyway. And yes, I'm an "old hand" at Hobbes now. I still can't get my SIS 7001/7002 enhanced usb to work correctly. No big deal, have some other laptops that work fine. Just that one controller doesn't work.

Chuck

chuckcmagee said:
You know how you always remember something as being better/worse than it really was... I thought Let's try out IBM Warp 4 again. Wow, what a dinosaur! Doesn't support IDE over 504 MB, drivers are hard to find (as expected).

I looked it up. Warp 4.0 supports partitions up to 4 GB as long as they are on the first 8GB of the hard drive. Warp 3 supports 2 Gb with the same limitation. I'm thinking your 504 MB limitation might be a hardware (read BIOS) problem that you are having.

The link is at Warpdoctor

Thanks for the trouble but the "dani" drivers solve all the problems anyway. They replace the IDE506 ibm drivers.

I use Windows 98SE, XP, 2k3 at home and AIX 4.3.3 at work [I know it's old, but it works very well and it's been online for the past 9 years or so].

Favorite OS? Well, CP/M was very nice, but what really ticks my clock is the BASIC that came with the Spectrum clones. Why? Because that was the first contact I've had with the computer world. It's like the first kiss, you never forget it :)

10 FOR n=0 TO 50
20 BEEP .25,n
30 NEXT n

RUN :D

Last edited:
I currently use Windows 98SE and XP on my newer systems. I use whatever version of D.O.S. that is nearest. I've used:
Windows(1.0-XP including Windows Bob...)
D.O.S.(2.10-PC D.O.S. 2000)
Unix Free BSD( I don't recall which versions)
OS/2(3-4)
Those are all the operating systems I've used.

I manily use Windows XP Professional (with SP2 and all the patches), but I am currently trying out several Linux distros to try and find one that suits my needs. I also still use Workbench 3.0 to run photogenics (which I actually prefer to photoshop) as well as a few other Amiga applications.

eh? I had a hard drive for my Amiga 500 and the only time I had to reboot was to play a disk based game.. Other then that the Amiga multitasked very nicely. (and a lot better then Windows, up to around Win98 )

Cheers,

80sFreak
I agree, for the most part. I guess it all depends what apps you run and which version of Kickstart/Workbench you're running, oh and how much RAM and which processor you have.

My old Amiga 1200 with the 40Mb HDD and Kickstart 39.29/Workbench 3.0, with the 8Mb fast RAM expansion (giving a whopping 10Mb of RAM) was often running for days on end.

Oh and I'd say that Amiga 1200 multitasked better with that 10Mb total RAM and 14.28MHz processor then the 1Gb RAM, 2200MHz machine I'm using now does.

i'm usually booted into debian, but often boot into XP x64 when i feel like playing games.

I use Windows XP SP2 at work (no choice in the matter) along with Red Hat Enterprise 3.x for supporting one of our internal applications. My production systems run a mix of Windows 2K and Solaris 9 depending on what they are. We are starting to phase out our Solaris systems in favor of Linux.

At home, I run one (read: ONE) partition with Windows 2000 Professional (for gaming) and the rest of my hardware runs a mix of different versions of Gentoo Linux. I have builds from 2004.0 (for sparc32) up to 2006.1 (building a new machine on it). My main desktop runs 2006.0. I also have a copy of Irix 6.5 running on an Octane and I am working to get another Octane running on the Gentoo Linux MIPS port.

I used to run Red Hat Linux (5.x through 9.0) until they pulled out of the commercial channel. Tried SuSE (hated it). Trolled through a few other distros, did some LFS stuff and eventually settled on Gentoo.

I've played and tinkered with other OS and occasionally look about to see where OS research is headed. I have an interest in future OSs and system evolution but that isn't a vintage topic. :)

Matt

Well... it really depends on what I am doing. At work, it is mostly Win2k or SBS 2003, but we still have Win98 systems, and a drill network running Dos 5.0 and LANtastic.

At home it is WinXP, Fedora 3, DOS (3.3-6.22), Win2k, DSL (Damn Small Linux) OS X or MacOS 7.1. Recently I have been doing a lot at home in Dos, while the kids use the WinXP system.

I've got five workstations set up at home. One runs Windows Server 2003, one runs XP Professional, one runs XP Home, one runs Windows 98/DOS (old gaming machine), and one runs Ubuntu.

Our two laptops both run XP, as does my workstation here at work. I suppose it's the overall winner.

Back