• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 10 Technical Preview

I run POSReady2009 on some systems and I'll be getting updates to that as well as to MSE until 2019. I think that POSReady, WEPOS and WinFLP are basically the same platform. Even though MS has withdrawn any mention of WinFLP, the WEPOS updates work on it.

Yep, they are basically different editions of XP. And yes, the way it works is that update INF has a section at the end checking for certain registry entries.

Last edited:
Well, I agree, but not only for the dichotomies - The latest build is just plain BROKEN, for even such things as random hangs on MS Solitaire Collection, downloaded and installed directly from the MS Store.

I am running from VMWare 11, but these hangups are just plain rudimentary, and at this point in the release cycle, unforgivable. I have no problems running Win 7 and OS X, so I am not buying that VMWare figures into the basic failures I am seeing.

It will be a while (like SP1 or 10.1 or whatever) before I commit to this one...

gwk

Some of the above issues look like the back and front ends getting out of step. The Retail Build seems much more stable. I don't get warnings about the graphics driver stopping, Solitaire Collect and the store works just fine. Pity something broke Outlook with IMAP but running the system File Checker seems to have sorted that.

I relented and installed W10 last night. I fixed my previous problems with ARCsofts's TotalMedia 3.5, and now my off-air TV works okay. It looks like VLC Media Player will fill in for the rest of Media Center's duties. This was possibly the best upgrade that I every did on a M$ product. It took a while but the whole process was seamless. Rather than downloading to a USB flash drive or a CD, I used the command line from W8.1 to invoke a combination of WUAUCLT & WUInstall, which forced the system to go after and fetch the upgrade. The system immediately rebooted, connected with the server, and proceeded to download the installation package. There were no hick-ups or gotchas - very smooth. I still have Star8 installed, so W10 thinks the desktop is W7. I think I'll keep it that way, at least for a while, so as to get a better feel for all this new stuff. I miss my Google toolbar so I'm going to have to take a crash course in browsing 101. I have a 'patch' for loading the old M$ games (the W7 variety) into W10. That little search tab, next to Start caused a few problems by covering some of the icons on the task bar, but a right-click took care of that. So far so good, no known problems with drivers so far. BTW, the boot time is excellent and shaved a few ticks off of 8.1 which I always thought was fairly fast. :D

Late Edit: My LaCie USB Floppy worked fine - didn't need to load any drivers.

Last edited:
My biggest gripes are the fact you can't really change colors the same way as you could in previous windows. You need to do a whole bunch of tomfoolery to get that done. Initially also, ethernet networking didn't work right out of the box on my laptop. After a reinstall, everything works smoothly, even on my older Core 2 Quad with good ole' bios. Cortana needs work, as the older speech recognition in xp vista and 7 seems to know more than she does..

Upgraded 10130 successfully to the final product after doing a repair. Maybe I'm blind but I see little difference between the technical preview and the final product. I'm not impressed. Lots of ads which seems to be "par for the course" with new software/operating systems.

I installed it on three different machines over the weekend. No problems, no incompatibilities, and on one machine I had a program that was known not to work with Windows 10 - and the installer detected this for me and gave me options.
On my Sony Vaio, the OS installer determined what Sony apps (bloatware) I no longer required and got rid of them - and it's a lot nicer to use now, plus the WiFi LED works again (I guess the old Sony software was buggy).

One thing I noticed was that they tweaked the way task switching between multiple desktops worked and this is going to be excellent for me at work.both me and my wife are enjoying the new slick 'feel' (which I respect that most of this forum probably don't care about - but we enjoy it). It's also the first time I've been able to install Windows direct off the internet and/or USB (I did one online, two systems with USB) without needing any special tricks.

Another cool thing I liked, that obviously needs to be used with great care, is being able to link your Microsoft account as an identifier to your user accounts on various machines - and being able to auto-sync (what gets synced is optional) between systems. So for example if you had 3 computers in a home, and your daughter is using your hardcore gaming rig to do her homework - you can boot her off and she can login / continue her work on any other computer in the house. It'll also sync settings too - so she wont lose that My Little Pony backdrop she just installed when she goes upstairs.

Obviously that's not suitable for situations where you have sensitive documents, and you wouldn't want to use that in a business environment either. But for general home use, it's pretty neat.

I'm haven't seen any adverts in the OS nor in an other operating system, a few of the bundled and optional free games/apps might have one or two but not the OS.

The Windows 10 upgrade is not all rainbows and lollipops...

Windows 10 upgrade bug makes some PCs unusable
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/08/04/windows-10-upgrade-bug-makes-some-pcs-unusable/

SiliconBeat said:
Some consumers trying to upgrade their computers to Windows 10 have run into a bug that is rendering their machines inoperative.

Instead of being able to use Microsoft’s new operating system, they get an error that says their computer has a "missing operating system." Some also said their drives reported having nothing on them after the attempted upgrade.

Nice...and not really all that surprising. An OS upgrade is a major thing. I remember the late 90's working at a computer shop where people were often upgrading (or trying to upgrade) their OS, and it quite often was a royal pain in the butt. My argument since then has always been to just keep running whatever OS shipped with the machine, as it is what it will run best. Of course that is changing...hardware requirements haven't budged since Vista was released.

I like the last line of the article - "Microsoft released Windows 10 last week. The software has been praised for addressing the shortcomings of Windows 8, but has been criticized for raising privacy and security concerns." Watch closely as you finish setup and it allows you to customize some settings or use express settings. I was surprised at all the things it was defaulting to sending to Microsoft...seemingly including what is typed...no thanks!

Wesley

The Windows 10 upgrade is not all rainbows and lollipops...

Windows 10 upgrade bug makes some PCs unusable
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/08/04/windows-10-upgrade-bug-makes-some-pcs-unusable/

The gotchas of Windows 10 being "free":

Windows 10 Starts Charging For Missing Features
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...rging/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Windows 8 had the same DVD player as an extra charge but free right during the upgrade period. The underlying licenses are expensive and DVD/Blu-Ray drives come bundled with their own playback software. The third party free playback software is often playing fast and loose with the law.

$15 per year for Solitaire sans ads. Um, no. If MS plans on that for all the MS games in the Windows Store, they pretty much have ensured the failure of the store. Frankly, outside of MS Solitaire, MS Minesweeper, and the couple of other MS offerings, the Windows Store has very few products worth the download time.

Windows 8 had the same DVD player as an extra charge but free right during the upgrade period. The underlying licenses are expensive and DVD/Blu-Ray drives come bundled with their own playback software. The third party free playback software is often playing fast and loose with the law.

$15 per year for Solitaire sans ads. Um, no. If MS plans on that for all the MS games in the Windows Store, they pretty much have ensured the failure of the store. Frankly, outside of MS Solitaire, MS Minesweeper, and the couple of other MS offerings, the Windows Store has very few products worth the download time.

With a tweak or two you can grab your M$ games off of 7/8/8.1. My 10 install saw my games folder on 8.1, which in turn, came from 7, and they all run just fine.

I seriously couldn't believe it when I read the pricing model for the *solitaire game* was "Subscription", not "pay a trivial amount once and shut up".

I use VLC for media playback anyway because I always found Windows Media Player handled buffering and encoding errors very poorly.

If they start trying to charge $1.99 for a Premium Windows Explorer or if I get adverts on my desktop - then sure I'll be pissed off and either move to another OS, pause my updates, or put my Windows 7 DVD back in.

I seriously couldn't believe it when I read the pricing model for the *solitaire game* was "Subscription", not "pay a trivial amount once and shut up".

Yeah I wouldn't bother, I'd just get something from someone else if the adverts annoyed me (personally I didn't even notice any but that might change).

Just wanted to add one tid-bit about the retail release.

When you install it you'll be offered "Express Setup".
Do not click that button.

On the left is a small piece of text that says "Customize Settings" - click this instead.
There are privacy and default application options that I think would be of importance to many members here (seriously, at least read the options even if you don't change them).

Upon installing W10 the other day, via the 8.1 Windows Update, and with virtually no problems, I decided that it was much too easy and should try it with the M$ utility (Media-CreationTool-x64.exe). I couldn't even get off the starting line. The first bogie that I encountered was a screen that said that the NTFS data partition, the 100 MB slice that appears before your C:> drive on Disk 0, was not large enough to continue the install. M$ isn't going to help you out here, you're pretty much on your own. It turns out that you need to get in to the “Boot” file that resides in that small partition and delete some extraneous language entries from the file. The procedure is as follows:

• Enter Computer Management and select Disk Management.
  • On the Disk 0 small 100 MB data partition, right click and select 'Change Drive Letters and Paths . . .'.
  • From the drop-down list select 'Y' and then exit.
  • From Start >Run> enter CMD and right click Run as Administrator.
  • Type Y: in the CMD window.
  • Run the following commands:

takeown /f . /r /d y

icacls . grant administrators:F /t

attrib -h -s -r bootmgr

• Open explorer (win+e) Y:> Boot folder> and delete all of the languages (xx.XX) except 'en-US' (ensure to shift+delete so they don't go to the recycle bin).
  • Go back to the CMD Admin command prompt and enter the following:

chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000

Note: This truncates the NTFS log to 5 MB and leaves you with about an extra 50 MB on the data partition, just enough to get past the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gotcha.

The secret to a happy install is that the drive must be clean. It would behoove you to run all of your virus stuff to the hilt before proceeding. When you're satisfied, re-boot and go on to this:

CMD (Admin)

<enter> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Service and Management Tool
Version 6.39600.17031

Image Version 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100%============================]
The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was
repaired.
The operation completed successfully.

Reboot.

CMD (Admin)

<enter> sfc.exe /scannow

You should now be in shape to invoke the (MediaCreationTool-x64.exe). This is where it gets hair pulling testy, as it may or may not go the whole 9 yards. I ran the install about 2 or 3 times and thought I was home free only to be be greeted with something similar to this:

attachment.php

Can you imagine that this actually came from Microsoft. Not even a hint to an error code. Well, no s_ _ t Dick Tracey! Something really did happen. Turns out there was a file or two that was corrupted, and some house keeping was in order. A little more scrubbing and tidying and it all went fairly well. The best advice that I can give is have your backups and ISO's handy. All-in-all, a nice leaning experience.

Late Edit:

Another snag is that the backup routine is just as hosed as it ever was. If you look at the Backup icon in the W10 control panel, it even says
'Window 7', in light blue lettering underneath it. On the plus side, it will let you make an ISO where 8/8.1 wouldn't. Maybe it's just that M$ didn't have enough time since the release of W7 to get it right.

Attachments

• Some.JPG
    Some.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Strange. I installed it via the "Media-CreationTool-x64.exe" Wednesday night, and about 45 mins later I was logging into Win10. I updated from 8.1 x64. The only issue I've had so far is things in the notification panel, when clicked do nothing, however the "Enable your firewall" one did what it wanted to do, but no acknowledgement.

Back