• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 10 Technical Preview

So far have updated/upgraded my tablet from 8.1 and my laptop from 7.whatever. :-( Power settings lost. Security settings lost. Favorites list imported and cleverly alphabetized (hint, if I wanted it alphabetized, it would have been alphabetized). News and sports apps went from useful to useless.

However, the tablet no longer crashes on the G.D. Google bloat-ads while streaming local morning news.

Another W10 tidbit. If you would like to retain your old W7 look and feel, I did just that. I currently run Star 8 (the Start button fix for W8 on my W8.1 desktop, and when W10 finally installed, you would hardly know that you were on a W10 machine.

Last edited:
If you trash all of the live tiles and pin some applications (or if you had apps pinned in the past) the w10 menu is pretty nice.

So what does Win10 use for malware and virus protection? Or is it immune to such stuff? I mention that because my copy of MSE updates almost every day with new definitions.

There is a known problem with Microsoft Defender that goes back to W8/8.1. To get it to turn on you may have to disable all of your malware apps. M$ knows about it, but so far no fix. I down-loaded and installed the latest W10 cumulative patch (KB30814) and there was nothing there to address the problem. Right now I run Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot, and CCleaner which all seem to keep the box clean as I haven't had a major problem in a long while. Maybe sometime in the next few days I'll unload all of my spyware apps and see if I can get Defender to come up.

Well, maybe one of these days, I'll have to get some antivirus stuff for my Linux and BSD boxes... <snark>

You know, if they ever get it all ironed out on how to support top end gaming with some decent video drivers, I might give it a shot. In the mean time, watch out for that Alaeda (Virus.Linux.Alaeda) or BadBunny (Perl.Badbunny).

Last edited:
Those are pretty old and (one would hope) plugged by now. Not particularly dangerous; you're not going to get by a Cryptolocker exploit.

I've been a bit leery about some of the free-for-all Linux distros, so my main server runs OpenBSD, whose maintainers seem almost paranoid (which is probably not a bad attitude).

As far as games, well, I might be wrong, but aren't all of the graphic apps built on X? If that's true, then you're not going to fix that pig by putting lipstick on it.

Those are pretty old and (one would hope) plugged by now. Not particularly dangerous; you're not going to get by a Cryptolocker exploit.

I've been a bit leery about some of the free-for-all Linux distros, so my main server runs OpenBSD, whose maintainers seem almost paranoid (which is probably not a bad attitude).

As far as games, well, I might be wrong, but aren't all of the graphic apps built on X? If that's true, then you're not going to fix that pig by putting lipstick on it.

If Linux gaming could ever get on the same page as the top end PC or X-Box, then Microsoft would have something to worry about. I think it's coming. A major port over, like 'Far Cry' for example, and a little push from AMD/Nvidia would be a game changer.

Windows 8 had the same DVD player as an extra charge but free right during the upgrade period. The underlying licenses are expensive and DVD/Blu-Ray drives come bundled with their own playback software. The third party free playback software is often playing fast and loose with the law.

$15 per year for Solitaire sans ads. Um, no. If MS plans on that for all the MS games in the Windows Store, they pretty much have ensured the failure of the store. Frankly, outside of MS Solitaire, MS Minesweeper, and the couple of other MS offerings, the Windows Store has very few products worth the download time.

It has been that way since Win8 I think.

FYI

Windows 10 cumulative update is now available. Worth noting that if you have W10 Pro or server, you can control your updates (Win key + I) (lower RH corner).

Microsoft has downloaded a copy of Windows 10 onto one of my Windows 7 machines without me asking. At least they did it in the middle of the night (the files are dated around 1:30 AM), but it's now eating up 5.8 GB of disk space even if I have no intention of ever upgrading to Windows 10. Snooping through the subdirectories, it looks like it's downloading the updates as well. Look for a directory named $windows.~BT to see if Microsoft snuck it onto your computer as well.

I had it happen on my work computer, even though domain connected machines shouldn't be doing it at all. No sign of GWX prompts on that machine either.

If Linux gaming could ever get on the same page as the top end PC or X-Box, then Microsoft would have something to worry about. I think it's coming. A major port over, like 'Far Cry' for example, and a little push from AMD/Nvidia would be a game changer.

I think the linux ecosystem simply doesn't lend itself to gaming very well.
The good thing about Windows is that everyone has the same Windows: the one from Microsoft. Which also allows Microsoft to have full control over DirectX.
With linux, you have all sorts of parties making all sorts of variations of the same thing. So you never know what kernel version you have exactly, what patches may or may not be applied to it, or what implementation of OpenGL you have, to name but a few things.

I think for that reason, something like SteamOS may fall apart eventually. Valve can make their own distribution, but they do not control all the code they use. So if new versions of the kernel, XFree86 or any other parts cause problems, Valve will either have to stick to older versions indefinitely, or create their own patches/forks, and maintain those indefinitely.
Because it will be unacceptable if new versions of SteamOS can no longer play existing games, that people paid good money for on Steam.

It's a house of cards.

If you would like to get rid of that annoying Microsoft W10 upgrade pop-up, you need to delete KB3035583 and reboot.

Back