• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 2 on a IBM PC XT

That's what I said :p

Ok, thanks for the info. Some files are too big to fit on a 360K floppy and my harddisk of 10MB is too small to copy the installer files first. Maybe you had a 360K version :p

Guys/Gals - this has nothing to do with running Windows 2 on a PC XT. Get back on topic and/or start a new thread.

Could you split this topic from post #62? Being it the "Doing cool things with your PC XT" or something like that.

hmm, it appears that with that monitor attached, no EGA feature is in use except 640x200, but in MDA mode it seems, with no shading..

If I made a GIF without any shading, and a pure mono GIF, it will paint much faster (makes the XT not have to worry about shading conversion to mono)..

I guess if you wanted the full greyscale image, you seem to need a true EGA monitor then.. When you select the image, it should present to you options of resolutions, can you take a picture of that screen for me? I'd like to see what modes out of your video card it's seeing..

EDIT: Didn't see this page..

@mbbrutman: ok

@Rubix: Depends on the forum software they have. Some don't have splitting features, while some do...

EDIT 2: I created a thread for this stuff..

Last edited:
I've read something in the past about having to run 'setver' when your trying to run Windows 1x (and maybe 2x) with newer versions of DOS. I can't remember the details, since it's been 7 or 8 years since I read it (and I only run MS-DOS 3x versions on my 8088's).

One comment about running Windows 2x or 3.0 on an 8088: Ditch DOS 5x or 6x and go back to DOS 3.2 or 3.3. These newer versions of DOS take up more of your RAM, without giving anything back in return on an 8088.

When I compared Win 3.0 on an 8088 under DOS 6.22 and 3.3, DOS 3.3 gave me another 10K of free RAM.

You need every kilobyte you can possibly free up if your going to do such masochistic tricks as running Windows 3.0 on an 8088 ; ).

DOS 4 took up even more RAM than 6.22 did, and that's without the DOS Shell installed. I've also read about DOS 4.x doing bad things, especially in combination with Norton Utilities. I just avoid it altogether.

BTW, I use MS-DOS 3.31 on my 8088's (Yes, contrary to what you may have read on the Internet it does exist.) That way, I can use the less RAM gobbling version of DOS and still use hard drives over 32MB in one partition.

It does take 1K more RAM than DOS version 3.30.

Last edited:
wow, that things gotta be worth some money! I honestly don't know how to install a mouse afterwards.. hopefully someone here knows..

btw, this is what the IBM PS/2 mouse looks (atleast, I believe it's the first PS/2 mouse! :p )

double yes, that is the real lighting at my desk, and that IBM XT (PS/2 Model 25---perhaps the last "XT" ever produced?), is on the internet, on this thread.. it's what im using right now..

ibmmouse.jpg

hmm, bananacom........ isn't that just a terminal program, not designed for the web? how are you getting on the internet with it, just using it as a dumb terminal or what? however you are doing that, i'd like to try it with my XT :)

Hey, this is really cool! I put an EGA card in the PC XT and look, it works! Windows 1 on a 512kB computer with 10MB harddisk :p

Not to sound like a troll, but for something REALLY impressive you should try to find Geoworks Ensemble 1.0 and run that. The speed of the GUI (hell, the entire system) will blow you away.

Back