• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Z80 assembler

Gary C

Veteran Member
Anyone recommend an assembler for Z80 with a windows editor and maybe a built in emulator to test code ?

I have been using https://www.asm80.com/ and it does everything but I would prefer to have it based on the PC and save the files on the PC and also sometimes it goes a little awry.

daver2

Veteran Member
If not using asm80, I use ZMAC (http://48k.ca/zmac.html) and the Altairz80 implementation of SIMH for the emulator.

I may have made a slight 'tweak' to the ZMAC sources to assemble some code I had - there was an incompatibility between my Z80 source code and an extended feature of ZMAC if I remember correctly.

ZMAC is written in 'C' and you get the source code for it to mess about with...

I have also written my own NASCOM emulator - so I also use ZEAP under NASSYS-3 running on my NASCOm emulator and then run the resultant code on my NASCOM emulator. Sad really :)!

Equally sad (...) is ZASMB - which is a Z80 assembler written in Z80 assembler. It can assemble itself - so can be run under the same emulator that you are testing your code out on.

The thing to consider about your emulator is what I/O features you need. The AltairZ80 emulation is somewhat limited in this respect (if I remember correctly).

Of course, there are plenty of 'true' Z80 assemblers that will run under CP/M (on an emulator itself).

It all depends on what you want to do...

You could always run the Z80 assembler on your TRS80 of course! That was how a certain company developed the firmware for the SENSION.

Cross32 is also a very nice meta assembler. I converted the SENSION firmware source code from the TRS80 over to a PC running Cross16 (at the time). https://www.mpeforth.com/software/cross-32-meta-assembler/

Dave

Last edited:

Gary C

Veteran Member
Dave,

yes i suppose the TRS80 could be used :) but in the end, a windows environment is hard to beat and the web based ASM80 is almost perfect to create and test code quickly as I make EPROMs to test my Osborne.

Ideally it would be perfect to have it as a download to run locally as I keep loosing source code and the github signup requirements seems a bit intrusive. What I don't want is a text/EMACS then command line type of assembler if I can avoid it.

I suppose ASM80 is what I will use and it even produces Intel hex directly which my programmer needs.

Last edited:

Chuck(G)

25k Member
If you want the flexibility of source code under Win32, zmac seems to be a logical choice. I think another criterion is the scale of your project. Is it large, needing a relocating loader and linkage editor? If so, that may eliminate a lot of candidates. Before the PC, Microsoft's package of M80, L80 and LIB80 was pretty hard to beat for Z80 under CP/M.

Now, quick--someone find me a Rockwell PPS-4 assembler that runs on 64 bit Linux. :)

Gary C

Veteran Member
Thanks you two.

I will try your suggestions.

At the moment all I am doing is writing code to fault find an Osborne 1, so the only I/O port it uses is the one to change memory maps.

Gary C

Veteran Member
Sticking with online ASM80 at the moment as I like the ability to one click into the emulator to test the code does what I expect and produces intel hex directly which my programmer insists on.