• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Letter to my US neighbours and relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're looking for consensus, Mike, then count me on your side. I love L. as a true brother, but then, there are some posts which are truly intended to incite the readerz to a negative reaction, (aka, trolling) and this one seemz to fall into that category, although it iz posted in a 'no-holdz-barred' forum.

--T

Last edited:
I don't think Micom was trolling. I do think he's genuinely upset at the situation and wanted/needed to vent. I agree with some folks that his opinions aren't fully reflected in the facts, but that's par for the course in life on the whole.

Sometimes getting stuff like this off your chest can be cathartic and we're all friends, so what the heck, eh? :D

So far none of this has gotten personal or abusive so I'm inclined to leave the discussion intact. Hopefully folks can remain civil (I'm very impressed so far) and we'll keep both the thread and the politics discussion area. :)

Erik said:
I don't think Micom was trolling. I do think he's genuinely upset at the situation and wanted/needed to vent. I agree with some folks that his opinions aren't fully reflected in the facts, but that's par for the course in life on the whole.

Sometimes getting stuff like this off your chest can be cathartic and we're all friends, so what the heck, eh? :D

So far none of this has gotten personal or abusive so I'm inclined to leave the discussion intact. Hopefully folks can remain civil (I'm very impressed so far) and we'll keep both the thread and the politics discussion area. :)

So we don't hafta call in da BlackHelicopterz yet...???

--T

I'm 'genuinely upset', but that doesn't preclude actual, political action. While many Americans are in agreement, for the most part, we feel powerless to stop the juggernaught that waz set into motion over thirty yearz ago. Speaking only for myself, all I'm doing right now is trying to hold on by my fingernailz, in the hope that someday, thingz might be better...

--T

So there is the freedom of speech, the right to peacefully demonstrate and you can get in touch with your congress representative. Maybe you'd get a bullet through your head in Denmark or any of the small countys or whatever Italy consisted of in 1791, but today most democratic countries have the same rights. Yet in some countries there is more political leverage for parties to thrive on general discontent than in other countries. Perhaps the other political establishment in those countries were too nonchalant to listen to the people. A well managed government will be more sensitive, not giving any room for such competitors. Maybe it can even be said that the fewer dominant politicial parties (at least two) you have in a democracy, the better has the government been at adopting to the needs of the country and its people?

To end with, here is an old joke about how life in the Soviet Union was pictured, at least from the outside:

A man had just escaped from USSR, and while seeking asylum in another country was interviewed by a newspaper.

-"How is the food in the USSR?"
-"You can't complain."
-"And the wages?"
-"You can't complain."
-"How is the educational system?"
-"You can't complain."
-"But why did you escape the country?"
-"You can't complain."

Oh, here's another one as a bonus:

An old man was sitting on a bench in Moscow, studying a book in Hebrew. An KGB agent walked by and questioned what the old man was reading:

-"I am studing Hebrew. I heard it is the language of Heaven."
-"But what if you end up in Hell instead?"
-"Oh, I already know Russian."

(sorry if I upset anyone, in particular the newest member from Russia)

carlsson said:
An old man was sitting on a bench in Moscow, studying a book in Hebrew. An KGB agent walked by and questioned what the old man was reading:

-"I am studing Hebrew. I heard it is the language of Heaven."
-"But what if you end up in Hell instead?"
-"Oh, I already know Russian."

AH! So funny!!!!! I love these types of jokes. I'm sure many Russians would find this funny too!

Good joke.
Here is my $0.02 for this discussion.
There are two groups of people in the US.
The poeple who know our country needs restoring and the people who are in denial, but know deep in their hearts it needs restoration.
Even our constitution says we can revolt if the leaders get nasty, not that I am planning a revolt, but our country needs to be reordered to accomidate new technologies and diversities.

I do think we need to invade Canada(for more land) and Sweden(for the babes to help populate our new land)..^_^

alexkerhead said:
I do think we need to invade Canada(for more land) and Sweden(for the babes to help populate our new land)..^_^

What's wrong with Canadian girls? Hell, I'll take just about anything. :(

Now, as to revolt, which I am not advocating, if you read the declaration of independence, there are a lot of problems with England listed, which are true with our current government today. Here, take a look at it:
http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html

Alex; Sweden (like many other Western countries) have a birth shortage, so unless you exercise force over our women, they might still be unwilling to populate. Seriously, more land is probably not interesting for any country today. More resources or less polluted land perhaps. I can see why e.g. the Dutch would look for somewhere to invade so they can move before the sea drowns the old plains for good.

carlsson said:
Alex; Sweden (like many other Western countries) have a birth shortage, so unless you exercise force over our women, they might still be unwilling to populate. Seriously, more land is probably not interesting for any country today. More resources or less polluted land perhaps. I can see why e.g. the Dutch would look for somewhere to invade so they can move before the sea drowns the old plains for good.
If you actually took me seriously, you need some psychiatric therapy.:rolleyes:

Nah, I didn't take you too seriously, just pointing out a different issue.

Anyway, I read an in-depth article on Raúl Castro, the younger brother of Fidel. He is said to be more Cuban-like, maybe not as well spoken but more of a party guy and joker in his younger days. At the same time, more reformist military have visited China to get a view into how to open the market while still keeping the political power; maybe it can be called market communism. This goes against Fidel Castro's own belives, and in the last few years he has tried to concentrate all power to the party, removing people from the military who are too reformist. Instead he's setting up a junta of people who can keep ruling the country after his death. It is anticipated that exile Cubans, perhaps with help from the USA, will try to get their way back in. It could become a three way struggle, hopefully not too bloody.

Canada's next buddy...

. Isn't that the "Ammurrican way"

We still do, being canadians, apologise for burning down your "White House", but that was in the fervor of war. And of course routing the US-supported Irish Fenians who were intent on joining us with your republic later. And then kicking your ass in the war of 1812. Americans were never especially good at war.

My Irish grandfather after fighting the Fenians replaced a wealthy Yankee son in the civil war for enough bucks to buy a good farm around Grand Forks SD but soon abandoned it for a farm in Manitoba. Similarly my maternal grandparents who came from Denmark soon left the "Land of the Free" in Minnesota to homestead in Saskatchewan.

Do you really think a people who rejected your country as flawed would be even more receptive of an invasion than the Vietnamese, or Iraquis. You are pariahs and until you regain the prestige you once had as the land of the free, without corpopate or dogmatic christian fundamentalist control, you will be hated by the world in general.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Canada's next buddy...

Sorry about burning the "White House" man, but it was in the heat of war. And of course we kicked your butt in the war of 1812. In general I don't think ammurricans are very good at war unless it's on Mexican peasants or tiny countries like Grenada. Likely why they were so slow coming into World War 1 and II. Of course they curled their tail between their legs in VietNam and if they're smart also do so in Iraq. In the meantime Big Oil is making Big Bucks.

Now should the US invade us they would threaten thier 2nd largest supplier of oil, not to mention all those US cities that depend on canadian hydro-power. And of course canadians have a perverse sense of justice that wouldn't square with "The New World Order" and would likely be a threat to law and order, not to mention the Twinkies Corp.

Lawrence

This is of course similar to the previous post, but I love to rub it in.
I will at some point refute the point by point clumsy attempt by D Patten which could have been advanced by that noted liberal Anne Coulter but with much less vituperation. Later.
Soon come D Paton, Soon come. as Jamaicans say. You easy. The truth will make you free.

L

Last edited:
You're quite right Erik. It was not a troll, altho I did hope I would elicit a reaction. I am incensed at the loss of innocent life in the middle east, much of it the result of the Bush administrations policies. My opinions are also in accord with most people in the world who haven't been indoctrinated by 10 second newsclips machinated by an increasingly orchestrated white house juggernaut.
" You Will Tell Our Truth"

In the meantime the present minority Conservative government here is tailing the Bush regime to the point where our Prime-Minister parrots exactly the Bush administrations spin-doctors words.
eg: "Israel has a right to defend itself"

Which means that this terrorist state, ironically so like Germany in the 2nd WW kills more than 10 civilians for each Israeli killed by ragtag rockets against the most powerful army in the middle east with massive modern missile installations, Air power bombing, and troops supplied and financed by the US. Many targets are areas who do not support Hezbolla. It is obviously a war waged against civillians and aimed at the Lebanese state. Israel wants no prosperous competitors. And the dying continues with US support.

Canada however, which is known and has for years played a role as peace-makers is now an occupier in Afghanistan, Covering the US ass. And 24 body-bags are home or on thier way.

The retribution for 9/11, done for the most part by Saudi Arabians, who were once alligned with the US, has now gone to massive multiples of those killed in the twin towers. But of course it was all just a pretext to destabillize and contol. Young soldiers trded for the control of oil. I do have faith somehow that the american people will wake up and be just as cynical of the spin-doctors 10 second news-clips as they are about the wiles of used-car salesmen or soap commercials.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Lawrence,

I believe he was joking when he said that, but nonetheless I must impose a rebutle.

Seriously, you have a very dim view of a country you do not live in.
Much like the general Canadian population, you believe the propaganda that your media feeds you.

I once respected you, but you have a very arrogant perception of your country and a very ignorant perception of other countries, which has forced me to rethink my stance.
Your rhetoric here has seriously damaged how you will be percieved.

I, with 54% of the American population dislike Bush's practices, and protested the use of the electoral college to give Bush the position in office, but our system was designed for use before technology was developed. 54% of us do not support our current systems, and we will eventually strive to change it. A country cannot change over night like you imply we need to. There is 46% of America that is too falsely patriotic(much like yourself, but in a different way) to allow drastic change.
In the last year, more and more of the American "arrogant" population have seen the ways a fundamentalist can damage a country.
More than half of us do not support our government, but it takes time for the other "ignorant" half to realize it.
Remember, there is a difference between patriotism and arrogance, a lot of Canada is utterly arrogant and refuses to accept that they are less than perfect(the general majority of their population), much like the French.
Get over it, nobody is perfect.

[Edit - one sentence: Removed this snippet due to incorrect facts. Thanks to mryon for pointing it out]

Would you like to know a secret?
Every human bieng on Earth has the exact same mental capacity and brain power(approx 12.6% use of our brain)
Nobody is superior to anyone, it is an illusion instilled by governments.
There are trillions of galaxies in the universe, each galaxy contains billions of solar systems like ours. We are very small to the whole picture, so let your arrogance go.
This world can only be perfect when EVERYONE lets go of their arrogance.
This planet as a whole is doomed if we all don't unite.
But, in the end, I believe people are too child like and barbaric to achieve equality and peace.

My $0.02($0.02241 Can)

Edit:
Oh, and Lawrence, you have little merrit to claim yourself as a compasionate person by mourning the deaths of just your country's fallen soldiers. Millions of soldiers have died in thousands of wars through history and just because we don't agree with their motives, doesn't mean they deserve to be crapped on, nobody wants to goto war and die, but it happens. Mourn all soldiers lost, not just your country's.
Cry not just for one, but for all who were involved.
Have sympothy for your fellow human bretherin, not just your countritized comrads.

Hierarchy is our totalitary enemy, not oneanother.

Last edited:
Woah! well put Alex. I've been hoping for such a good rebuttal to Micom's original post, after my rebuttal seemed slightly off topic. But I fully agree with you Alex. Support our troops!, not our government!

Woah! well put Alex. I've been hoping for such a good rebuttal to Micom's original post, after my rebuttal seemed slightly off topic. But I fully agree with you Alex. Support our troops!, not our government!

As a veteran, and a 'patriot', I believe that wars are not the fault of the grunt in the foxhole, but I'm also aware that every soldier has a right to say NO!, when given orders to burn babies, etc. Warfare is dependant on the consciences of everyman. Remember the 'fall' of the Soviet Union? The troops were at the gates of Moscow, but when the orders came down, the rank & file all refused to move against thier own people. It could happen...

--T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back