• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KIM-1 Repairs continue

Its too bad it was the -002 that was bad. That one is needed to boot.
The -003 code is only for I/O. It otherwise could be used for a number of Butterwoth's games. Good to see it working.
Dwight

Its too bad it was the -002 that was bad. That one is needed to boot.
The -003 code is only for I/O. It otherwise could be used for a number of Butterwoth's games. Good to see it working.
Dwight
There was one 002 that sold on ebay a couple of months ago.. but it went for $400 "untested".

Well done!

A bit of persistence pays off in the end.

As you can see, it is vitally important to be very critical of your own repair work, otherwise you could introduce more problems yourself than you solve.

Yep, have another crack at the MMD-1 again sometime...

Dave

Well done!

A bit of persistence pays off in the end.

As you can see, it is vitally important to be very critical of your own repair work, otherwise you could introduce more problems yourself than you solve.

Yep, have another crack at the MMD-1 again sometime...

Dave
Yes this one suffered from my inexperience during the first attempts.

I continue to tinker with the MMD.. that one I'm pretty certain is just bad solder joints throughout.

Also still trying to solve the Bally's loss of +5V.

Always something to fix (or break :) )!

Congratulations, another rare KIM-1 back on in service.
That's a question that's been in my mind for a little while now. *Are* they numerically rare? There's always a few on ebay for sale at any given time, and I see revisions going beyond G. For a long time you could pick them up for cheap - I got mine about 10 years ago for $125USD. It seems like only lately they've exploded, but I'm not sure why.

Oh, no question. They're not particularly rare except for the very earliest revisions, and they're very durable machines, so if one's still around it's either working or repairable. I suspect that of the ones that got tossed, it was accidental because they looked like disembodied random circuit boards to the uninitiated.

Back