• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Mid Atlantic Anyone have a copy of Apple's "AppleTalk Phase 2 Protocol Specification" (C0144LL/A)?

See title. This was available thru APDA as part number C0144LL/A for a small sum of money, but doesn't seem to have been archived. It covers nitty gritty AppleTalk networking details that aren't covered in "Inside AppleTalk" and is considered an addendum to that book. Apple's APDA listing says...
  2. N

The age old delemma: Do I break the seal or does it sit on the shelf?

I managed to pick up a set of system manuals and Workbench 3.0 disks for my Amiga 4000 to complete the system. The whole manual bundle and disks came shrink wrapped in a box complete with the EULA still attached. Do I open it up, or do I just put it on the shelf still wrapped up with circa 1992...
  3. N

UNIX videos from the AT&T Archives

Just spotted these today on YouTube.
  4. N

Creative Soundblaster 16 WavEffects SB-4171 BOXED

Includes install CD and all paperwork shown in photo. Working pull, card is a CT-4170 with Vibra 16xv chip. Sold AS-IS, no returns. No warranties or guarantees implied. $35US plus shipping. International buyers are welcome, but please be aware that shipping costs from the USA are very high.
  5. N

The Open Source Scan Converter and vintage computers.

A new toy finally arrived and I have completed testing with the machines I have on hand. First off, some links about the product Development thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158 Wiki detailing the features and settings: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC I...
  6. N

FS: AOX MicroMaster 386 for IBM PS/2 Model 50 or Model 60

Up for sale is an AOX MicroMaster 386 card for a PS/2 Model 50 or 60 equipped with 8MB of RAM. I can't confirm, but it should work in other 286 model Microchannel machines. Unlike those clip-on "Make-it-386" adapters, this upgrade gives you more memory. All of it is full 32-bit bus width running...
  7. N

Admin heads up: vB exploit

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/10/09/1253209/dangerous-vbulletin-exploit-in-the-wild Looks serious.
  8. N

The Microsoft Archive

This is pretty cool. http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/CampusTours/Microsoft-Campus-Tours-Microsoft-Archives Left me wondering if the MS-DOS 5 Promo tape is buried in there somewhere along with that Windows 386 one.
  9. N

Getting a trackball working

So I picked up this nice keyboard from a forum member: So far probing around the inside hasn't been productive. The trackball properly detects and the buttons work when a mouse driver is loaded. Any input from the trackball itself is ignored. The infrared LEDs on the trackball sensors appear...
  10. N

WTB: Macintosh Portable Hard Drive

I finally recapped mine after 10 years and got it up and running.... only to find the crappy Conner hard drive's cover gasket turned to goo destroying the drive! I'm aware that one can build an adapter cable and run standard 50pin drives, I'm looking to keep the machine stock if possible. I'm...
  11. N

For Sale: Xante Accel-a-writer II Upgrade for Apple Laserwriter II series printers

This is an uncommon, perhaps rare, item these days. Information is scarce online, but this Xante Accel-a-writer II board upgrades any Laserwriter II into a 600x600dpi laser printer, it adds the following fabulous features: -Blazing fast AMD RISC processing. -Postscript Level 2 emulation...
  12. N

Scan request: Article from April 1993 BYTE Magazine (Volume 18, Number 4)

Looking for a copy of an article titled "Two Ways to Say VL-Bus: Testing two motherboards that mix VL-Bus and EISA" by Raymond Ga Cote that starts on page 179.
  13. N

WTB: EISA motherboard with VLB or PCI slots

Why? Because I want to play with one. I've played with Microchannel, VLB, and PCI... but never an EISA board. A 486 board with EISA and VLB or PCI would be nice. I'll take a Pentium board with EISA and PCI as well, although they are harder to come by. Fullsize AT form factor is ok as I have a...
  14. N

Opinions on the Diamond Viper VLB video card?

I just picked up one of these mint in da box. It boosts that its the "World's Faster VLB Graphics Accelerator" on its box. Question is, did it later lose that title to the #9 GXE64 (S3 864) that I currently have in my 486? This card is revision A7, it has the Weitek 5186 for VGA graphics as...
  15. N

More not so vintage stuff: Sony VAIO PC-RX540

From the same lot at the Dell below. Official Sony specs: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX540_mksp.pdf -Socket 370 Celeron 1.2Ghz -Intel 815e chipset with onboard video -256MB RAM -built in AC97 sound, Firewire 400, and 10/100 ethernet -3xPCI and 1xAGP 4X slots -v.90 PCI modem for...
  16. N

Any interest in a Pentium II system?

I have a circa 1998 Dell Dimension XPS D333 here that I got from a customer who was cleaning out stuff. Top end for the day. -Pentium II 333Mhz (66Mhz FSB) -128MB of RAM -440LX chipset board -nVidia Riva 128ZX AGP video -Cinemaster C MPEG-2/DVD decoder card with DVD-ROM drive -8.4GB HD -I was...
  17. N

Can anyone ID this EISA board?

Ran across this board for sale last night, can't seem to find any info on it: http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/mb-intel-eisa-vlb-at-motherboard-50761572.htm Its pretty expensive, but my main issue is locating EISA configuration tools for it. I did find the generic AMI EISA config utility with a ton...
  18. N

Odd behavior from CF to IDE adapters

I decided to revive one of my old K6-2 machines with a Syba brand CF-to-IDE adapter and a 8GB card. I ran across a problem installing Windows 2000 on it. Apparently Windows somehow detects these adapters as genuine removable devices as opposed to a classic hard drive, and won't let you partition...
  19. N

Finally got my CFFA3000, but....

...I already ran across a bug. One of my favorite Apple IIgs games, Zany Golf, won't run off my CFFA3000 card. After showing the copyright message, it dumps to the monitor. I tried two different images, the one off "What is the Apple IIgs?" site, and an old image I had from 10 years ago...
  20. N

Managed to revive a Powerbook 165

I forgot how lousy these grayscale LCDs were. I actually had this laptop for many years and forgot about it since I never had an A/C adapter. Found it again last week, picked up an A/C adapter for $10 and it pretty much works. The 120MB HD had a bit of a striction problem, but its working now...
Back