• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

Changing screen resolution in Solaris 7

I want to try OpenStep workspace environment for Solaris on my Ultra 10 with Solaris 7. Ive installed all necessary packages but still unable to execute starting script because it needs the screen resolution to be changed to 72x72 dots per inch. My current resolution is 90x90 dpi. I only know...
  2. D

Ambra laptop questions.

A friend of mine donated me a vintage laptop made by Ambra. It's a 486 25MHz machine with 4 megs of RAM, 80Mb 2.5in HDD and a 8.5in monochrome LCD display. Overall the laptop is in a great condition: keys and a trackball work fine, LCD-screen has no defects. The problem is that the laptop...
  3. D

Mount NFS shares on Macintosh.

I wanted to try NFS on my Mac LC II so I installed a NFS client: it seems to work, at least it was able to detect my NFS-servers: The problem is what I simply don't get how do I access my NFS shares. If I double-click on any of these shares, another windows appears asking for username and...
  4. D

C++ on Mac.

Hi, everyone! I'm looking for a well documented C++ IDE for 68k Macintosh. What would you suggest for Mac LC II with 6mb RAM? Thanks!
  5. D

Compaq Prolinea video problems.

Since the very beginning I'm having certain problems with video on my Compaq. Here's the Windows 95 loading screen: The second after, colors get back to normal so I didn't care much about it because, look, at least this thing is working and I was already pretty happy with that. Now it's time...
  6. D

Suggest me some good games for Macintosh.

Today I got my Mac LC II recapped so now the sound out of a speaker is clean. It's time to play some games! Although I'm having hard time finding any good ones. Most of games i found, looked like this: this: or even this: Still the best games I have are "Thexder" and.. "Tetris"/ What...
  7. D

Establishing internet connection on mac LC II

Today an ethernet card for my Mac LC II has finally arrived. The card is Farallon EtherMac LC for processor direct slot. The card is now installed, connected to my D-link (dir 300) router, yet I'm having no luck trying to make it work. While the cable is connected the LED indicator on the...
  8. D

8087 getting hot.

Today I received the 8087 math co-processor. I installed it into the socket and it was recognised by the system: then i suddenly touched the chip and it appeared to be noticeably hot , so I turned the system off immediately. Is it normal for this kind of hardware to become hot only after...
  9. D

Turbo Pascal 5.5

After having some fun with Turbo Basic, i'm thinking about making a next step to something more powerful like, say, Turbo Pascal. The wikipedia article claims that Turbo Pascal 5.5 was released as a freewave so getting a copy shouldn't be a problem. But before installing, I would like to make...
  10. D

Reparing System 7.1 on Mac LC II?

I tried to run Turbo Pascal I downloaded from "macintosh garden", but the error occurred which caused the system to hang. After reseting the Mac I got this icon: Does that mean the system is broken? Is there any chance to repair it? If not, how do i correctly reinstall the system? My first...
  11. D

HTFS browser for Windows 95?

I recently got Macintosh LC II and now I wonder if there's any older software able to read and write floppies in Mac format? The only Windows machine in my house is a 486 PC running Windows 95 so I'm looking for maybe older version of TransMac or similar stuff.
  12. D

Yet Another Sad Mac code.

Here's a guy around who works in a computer service. He told me he got an old Macintosh Classic which doesn;t boot. On start up it displays a sad mac picture and two rows of code. The first row is "0000", the second one is "0D0F". Does anyone know what could it mean? Thank you!
  13. D

Wanted: Compaq CD-ROM mounting rails

looking for a set of mounting rails for Compaq Prolinea 466. Something like this, but for a reasonable price: http://www.ambry.com/000000-CPQ.html
  14. D

Compaq prolinea 466 - OS to install

Today I got a nice new addition to my setup- Compaq prolinea 466 (486 66Mhz 16RAM) (now need to find proper monitor and keyboard :cool:) Currently it's running Windows 95. But I'm interested in experimenting with alternative OSs. (Have Archlinux for everyday use, freeBSD for ftp/http server)...
  15. D

Me and my Amstrad

Hi, everyone! My name is Dmitriy, I'm a newbie vintage computers enthusiast from St.Petersburg, Russia and here is my first vintage computer: Amstrad PC 1640. This computer belonged to the big local company developing microelectronics and was in active use until 2001(!!!) Eventually they...
  16. D

Is it worth buying?

Hi, everyone! I need an advice. A guy here offers IBM PS/2 Model 50 machine for really cheap - 300 russian roubles( like ~10USD) . It comes with no monitor or any peripheral, but the main problem is that it lacks a power supply unit so there's no way to check if it's in a working condition. Do...
  17. D

Resident virus or filesystem failure?

Hope I'm posting to the right forum cause i believe the problem is more "soft" rather than "hardware". So, I was writing some code in Turbo Basic on my Amstrad PC1640 machine. I used F2 hotkey to save my work and after a while I decided to take a break. But then, i was really surprised having...
Back