• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. F

WTB: 4x Commodore PET key caps

Hi. I acquired a PET 2001-N recently, but it's missing a few keys so I'm looking for four key caps: - Left shift - Right shift - Shift lock - Right angle-bracket ...for the normal graphical keyboard with the PETSCII symbols on the front, not the chiclet or business keyboards.
  2. F

PET 2001-N screen distorion

I picked up a 32K 2001-N recently, and while everything is in working order there's some noticeable horizontal distortion on the screen. The display is correctly centred and vertical edges are all straight, but characters get gradually narrower towards the right. Characters in column 1 are...
  3. F

Manuals for HP Laserjet 4+

Does anyone have either the User's Manual or Technical Reference Manual for the HP Laserjet 4+? Google turns up nothing but mis-labelled Service Manuals (which I already have) or those annoying sites which claim to have it but all the links eventually lead to random other HP manuals.
  4. F

Drive cases for external 3.5" drives

Do these exist? I've got two 3.5" DD drives which I've modified to work on a couple of 8-bit machines (BBC Micro and a ZX Spectrum +3), but they're bare drives meant to mount internally, so I need some kind of enclosures for them. Searching just turns up USB floppy drives and cases meant for...
  5. F

1526 / MPS-802 printer repair

Is anyone familiar with fixing these? I picked one up as part of an ebay lot recently, although it was listing as non-working and that indeed turned out to be the case. It turns on and powers up, but just starts flashing the red paper out light and doesn't respond to button presses or commands...
  6. F

386 will only POST on 2nd attempt

I have a 386 motherboard (a Shuttle HOT-307 according to TH99). If it's been powered off for more than a few minutes then the POST will hang after the memory count. Resetting will then make it POST normally and work perfectly the whole time it's powered up, but switch it off for more than 15...
  7. F

Sun type 6 mouse - 4800bps mod?

The Sun type 5 mouse allowed you to change the serial speed from 1200bps to 4800bps by changing a wire link inside. Sun sold versions of the type 5 mouse at both speeds, but they were both identical inside, so it was easy to convert one to the other. Does anyone know if this is also the case...
  8. F

Terminal emulator supporting multiple connections?

Is there any terminal emulator software for DOS which can open multiple connections at the same time on different COM ports, and then let you flip between them? I'm playing around with some Cisco routers and wanted to be able to plug the console cables into COM1-COM4 and then switch between...
  9. F

Programmer's Guide to the EGA and VGA Cards - book

Does anyone have the book "Programmer's Guide to the EGA and VGA Cards" by Richard Ferraro? I was thinking of picking up a copy but wanted an idea of the sort of things it covered, as I'd rather not spent £15 if it's just going to be 1000 pages of mode 13h/mode X stuff and nothing else - as...
  10. F

ATI Graphics Solution software wanted

Does anyone have, or know where I can download the drivers and demo software for this card? According to Google I'm looking for three files: GS100.ZIP (or .EXE), GSDEMO.ZIP, and GSM203.ZIP, but searching for these files only brings up lots of dead links, or that wretched DriverGuide site, which...
  11. F

Monochrome mode on VGA cards

When using mono text mode (mode 7) on an MDA, Hercules, or an EGA card set up for mono then text is displayed at two intensity levels, and the full range of attributes is supported - bright, inverse, underline. I've tried this on a few VGA cards, and none of them seem to handle this mode...
  12. F

Are these Mac SIMMs?

I posted about these elsewhere, and someone suggested they might be for a 68K Mac, so I thought I'd ask in here too. I found four of these in a box of old memory. They have four 1Mbx4 chips for a total or 2MB per stick, and a small PAL chip connected to the address pins. Are they for the...
  13. F

2MB 30-pin SIMMs?

I came across a set of unusual SIMMs in my box of memory. Looking up the chip part numbers shows them to be 2MB per stick, which I never knew existed - I always thought 30-pin SIMMs only came in 256K, 1MB, and 4MB. However there's also a small PAL chip too. At first I thought it was a...
  14. F

486DLC Cache

Does anyone have the software for enabling the internal cache on these chips?
  15. F

Programming EGA/VGA registers

Is there a list anywhere of the register values I need to set to get the different modes. I can find loads of stuff about mode 13h and mode X, but not the other modes. I'm particularly interested in mode 0Fh (640x350 mono) and the older CGA/EGA compatible modes.
  16. F

30+72 pin RAM (UK/EU)

Clearing out my cupboard I realised I've got far more memory than I'm ever likely to use, so most of it is now for sale. Will split if someone wants something specific or doesn't want the whole lot. No reasonable offers refused. 64x 1MB 30-pin SIMMs - £10 + postage A mix of 70 and 80ns, mostly...
  17. F

External battery

I just removed a leaking battery from a 286 motherboard, but I'm not sure if I should be connecting the replacement to the external battery pins, or to the pads where I removed the original. Testing the pins on the external battery connector shows <0.2V and no charging current. So I'm assuming...
  18. F

CGA/Mono Video Problem

I'm having trouble with a CGA/Mono combo card I got recently. The card is an ATI Small Wonder Graphics Solution. It can work in either CGA, or MDA/Hercules modes. It has both TTL and composite output, and you can set the monitor type independently of the mode, so for example it can do Hercules...
  19. F

CGA to SCART adaptor

This is something I made the other day, and I thought people here might find it handy. It's a little adaptor that lets you connect a CGA card to the SCART socket on a TV. Many CGA cards already have a composite output, but the quality is often dubious at best, and they all use NTSC colour...
  20. F

ATI Small Wonder Graphics Solution v1

I've been offered one of these, and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. As far as I can tell it's a 64KB card and supports a lot of modes: MDA, Hercules, CGA, plus some enhanced modes like like 640x200x16 and 132-column text. I'm told that it can display any of the supported modes on...
Back