• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8088 minttin

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBinary

Experienced Member
Im trying to make a 8088 based computer into a Altoids bin.Its going to have a 8 bit parralel port,a analog port for music,and port for a keyboard a and a mini screen.Along with 128k*8 RAM and 128k*8 ROM.ANY suggestions for parts (must be small).Should be finished in 3 months.

I'm very impressed...but that is going to be a very tight squeeze. The 8088 requires a fair number of support chips.

I think there are newer (but still old) 8088 clones or Intel models that integrate the memory controller, DMA, etc. with the processor. You should look into those too.

I'm very impressed...but that is going to be a very tight squeeze. The 8088 requires a fair number of support chips.
Ever see an Intel 8088AN? That is where a hermetic seal is put over the top of the CPU on the circuitboard. Probably about a half inch all around, and less than 1/8th inch bulge from the PCB plane. I've got two duplicates that are on a SIMM-like board with a ROM chip for some sort of laptop.
I think there are newer (but still old) 8088 clones or Intel models that integrate the memory controller, DMA, etc. with the processor. You should look into those too.
You are thinking of the 80186/80188 CPUs. Very rare to find PCs built around them, but some circuit real estate could be regained by using one. For an even smaller form-factor something like an NEC V40 could be used. Had a circuit board from a fax machine (with a little RAM & ROM) that used one.

wow........ thats a pretty interesting project! i'd like to see pictures of it as you go along :p

good luck with it, as has been said that's a very tight squeeze. it will probably get very hot, too. maybe the altoids tin PC can double as a miniature stove!! the Sony PSP has nothing on your 8088 altoids tin.

i would also highly reccommend sticking an ethernet adapter in there if you can do it. maybe an ne1000 compatible or a 3c507

8088al

8088al

Ever see an Intel 8088AN? That is where a hermetic seal is put over the top of the CPU on the circuitboard. Probably about a half inch all around, and less than 1/8th inch bulge from the PCB plane. I've got two duplicates that are on a SIMM-like board with a ROM chip for some sort of laptop.
Whoops, I mean 8088AL. The card is for a Daewoo laptop, and has the name "Wildcard 88-N" silkscreened in script. Probably that is what got me confused.

It is in an "A" & "B" part. "A" is just smaller than 1/2" square. "B" is about 5/8ths of an inch square. Copyright Intel '78, '86.

"Ever see an Intel 8088AN? That is where a hermetic seal is put over the top of the CPU on the circuitboard. Probably about a half inch all around, and less than 1/8th inch bulge from the PCB plane. I've got two duplicates that are on a SIMM-like board with a ROM chip for some sort of laptop."

I was of the persuasion that they all are hermetically sealed. Note I didn't say actually believed (on good authority) they were. Please edumucate me :)

"You are thinking of the 80186/80188 CPUs. Very rare to find PCs built around them, but some circuit real estate could be regained by using one. For an even smaller form-factor something like an NEC V40 could be used. Had a circuit board from a fax machine (with a little RAM & ROM) that used one."

I have the Intel 80c186/80c188 Evaluation Board, and in fact need docs and whatnot for it. It's a far cry from a peecee mobo, takes up as much real estate as a 5.25" drive pretty much. There were MANY sbc's based on the 80188 or 80186. Granted most of them were single purpose, and would fail short (very) of a true peecee architecture. And to conclude that the functions that were integrated on die which were present in discrete form on a peecee can automatically take their place is somewhat faulty. Port addresses and the like would differ. I believe that although the Tandy 2000 for instance used the 80186, it ignored those functions and simply utilized it as a fast 8088 (8086 actually). That particular mobo had a pretty high chip count, but we'd also need to keep in mind that floppy, some video, serial, etc. stuph was built right in.

Intel 8088AL

Intel 8088AL

I was of the persuasion that they all are hermetically sealed. Note I didn't say actually believed (on good authority) they were. Please edumucate me :)
I mean by hermetic black goop. See attached picture (copyright date is '78, '86). And one of the whole Wildcard assembly too.

Attachments

• 8088AL.jpg
    8088AL.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1
  • Wildcard.jpg
    Wildcard.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1
when you see those blobs, often that's just a means of mass producing an integrated circuit. My Radio Shack chess game (handheld) has one of those "chips" inside. I thought that was a way of cutting down on packaging costs. Lots of cheap calculators will have them also. I don't know though. What do I know...

when you see those blobs, often that's just a means of mass producing an integrated circuit. My Radio Shack chess game (handheld) has one of those "chips" inside. I thought that was a way of cutting down on packaging costs. Lots of cheap calculators will have them also. I don't know though. What do I know...
But this is a version of an Intel 8088 CPU I have seen nowhere else (BTW, Bob Grossblatt's "8088 Project Book" is an excellent reference for this sort of thing). Probably Intel's only foray into this package type, at least for x86. I know that it was common practice with some other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Thrashbarg,

Great projects, but do you have more details of the construction, including schematics, ROM source, construction notes, whatever, so that others may follow your designs? (I'd love to build one of my own).

--T

Last edited:
here's my attempt at an 8088 (V20, min mode) single board computer... Pictures:
http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/8080_1.jpg
http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/8080_2.jpg
I understand your other, main project is the 8080 (and well documented at that, Thank You for the contributions), but are the picture names you have set up a typo? And why not name them for the V20? What are the 8080 opcodes that the NEC CPUs (V20, V30, V35, V40, V50) are able to emulate if you know?

Great projects, but do you have more details of the construction, including schematics, ROM source, construction notes, whatever, so that others may follow your designs? (I'd love to build one of my own).
Mentioned earlier, Robert Grossblatt's "The 8088 Project Book" (ISBN 0-8306-0271-2, or paperback ISBN 0-8306-3171-2) is an excellent reference for putting something like this together. And great humor you won't commonly see from other authors. For not starting from scratch there are cards that have 8088 CPUs from discarded Xerox Memorywriters (which had a monochrome display & diskette drives in a few versions).

I understand your other, main project is the 8080 (and well documented at that, Thank You for the contributions), but are the picture names you have set up a typo? And why not name them for the V20? What are the 8080 opcodes that the NEC CPUs (V20, V30, V35, V40, V50) are able to emulate if you know?

oops...

According to the datasheet the V20 has full 8080 emulation.

Actually, I'm more interested in the 8080 projects. I've not even begun to cut my teeth on 16-bit stuff.

16-bit stuff isn't that hard. It's just like 8-bit, only more powerful.

I'll make schematics of the 8088/V20 now and post them.

oops...

16-bit stuff isn't that hard. It's just like 8-bit, only more powerful.

I'll make schematics of the 8088/V20 now and post them.

But, I'm still a babe-in-arms...
One question, tho: Why did you strap the V20 to Minimum Mode? Is it just easier to interface to that way (lower chip count, etc)?

--T

One question, tho: Why did you strap the V20 to Minimum Mode? Is it just easier to interface to that way (lower chip count, etc)?

Yes, in maximum mode it needs another chip to decode the R/W and other signals.

Here's the scheamtic:

http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/8088.png

It looks complicated, but the chip count is low (5 support chips for the 8080, 4 chips for address decoding, the rest are RAM/ROM and I/O devices).

I got the 8284 clock generator from the XT motherboard I stripped most of the components off. You may need to desolder it, mine was in a socket. If you want to run in maximum mode (it doesn't change the code or speed, just the number of signals available), you'll need to get the 8288 from a motherboard too. The XT runs in maximum mode.

Anything else should be answered in the 8088 datasheet which you can google ;)

Yes, in maximum mode it needs another chip to decode the R/W and other signals.

Here's the scheamtic:

http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/8088.png

It looks complicated, but the chip count is low (5 support chips for the 8080, 4 chips for address decoding, the rest are RAM/ROM and I/O devices).

I got the 8284 clock generator from the XT motherboard I stripped most of the components off. You may need to desolder it, mine was in a socket. If you want to run in maximum mode (it doesn't change the code or speed, just the number of signals available), you'll need to get the 8288 from a motherboard too. The XT runs in maximum mode.

Anything else should be answered in the 8088 datasheet which you can google ;)

1337.jpg

thats cool as hell, that schematic isnt that complex. i might build a little homebrew 8088 just for kicks. the CPU on my TURBO-XT motherboard is in a socket so no unsoldering will be required.

now, what about an ISA bus? :/

actually i'd hate to take that CPU off my board, i'll probably just buy a spare 8088 CPU on ebay... they're about $5

Cool, meaning that the V30 (8086 replacement), V40 (80188 replacement), & V50 (80186 replacement) should as well (there is some Z80 PC adapters on eBay that are supposed to make the PC able to run CPM, but if you have an NEC CPU in the system it could do the same?). Getting back to the original thread, I had desoldered a small form-factor V40 from a FAX board, meaning that it should be in stock somewhere or able to be pilaged from a board. This would be an 8-bit CPU (unknown for the minimum/maximum setting) with a few support chips onboard to make it so the OP could do his project.

I have a couple of different programs for running CP/M on the NEC V-series. I have run both on my V-40 based LittleBoard PC. I also have them running on my ZEOS Pocket PC (V-20), and a couple of Tandy laptops.
The old-school Z-80 boards used to be just about the only viable option for running CP/M-80 on a PC, but with today's super-fast hardware, most software-only emulators run acceptably well.

--T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back