• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

No question about it, the PDP-8 and 11 have it all over the Nova. But the cost associated with the DEC hardware is what killed the hobby, at least as far as DEC is concerned for me. Last several years worked with Qbus equipment being that was once a cheap alternative but now that’s starting to get up there. VAX hardware just don’t have the same charm as the primitive platforms running RT-11. By the time you got into RSX-11 or Unix its more like a modern file server or application host.

Don’t see or have any problem with someone selling something to support other working technology, or selling hardware on to another collector or hobbyist, or making a profit. No problem with any of that, but what I think sucks is that hacks buy hardware, sometimes working systems and remove the front panel and junk the rest with the idea of producing wall art or worse yet will somehow acquire working hardware and gut the systems to try to get the most for there money. Often doing things like cutting cables or better yet throwing out things like RL drive slide rails, terminators and cables just so they can flip the drives.

Don’t know, probably just me being bitter because the PDP-11 systems priced there way out of the hobbyist market as far as I am concerned and now somehow feel that anyone who wants to play around with that hardware is subject to looking at museums, running emulators and maybe being lucky while seeing evidence of once good system being reduced to wall art.

You will be glad to know QBUS that I have been clearing out our PDP-11/VAX storeroom (because the company I work for is moving offices) and have been giving it all away (well, for a suitable donation to the charity we support). Many a UK enthusiast has driven away with a boot full of equipment! I have sent a few pieces across the pond as well to people I know on VCFED.

I still have more to dispose of - so what doesn't go by the end of November is off to a museum shed for storage...

We will be decommissioning more equipment in the coming years...

There are still good guys left in this hobby!

Dave

You will be glad to know QBUS that I have been clearing out our PDP-11/VAX storeroom (because the company I work for is moving offices) and have been giving it all away (well, for a suitable donation to the charity we support). Many a UK enthusiast has driven away with a boot full of equipment! I have sent a few pieces across the pond as well to people I know on VCFED.

I still have more to dispose of - so what doesn't go by the end of November is off to a museum shed for storage...

We will be decommissioning more equipment in the coming years...

There are still good guys left in this hobby!

Dave
My collection isn't huge, but I do have some guilt about having deep stocks of spares and more machines than I have time to play with. It's time to thin the herd a bit to improve availability for others.

I've been getting a number of questions since that last post of mine. No, I don't have stocks of extremely rare PDP-8 parts and peripherals. I have mostly UNIBUS and QBUS stuff and will mostly be getting rid of the more common items in that realm. That is, I don't need 7x BA23 boxes or 5x 11/23+ CPUs, 30 QBUS memory cards... stuff like that. I do have some PDP-8/l and I bits (core stacks and such) but until I get my L running and identify 2 good stacks, I can't very well part with others.
I mean, feel free to ping me, but I don't have any VR14s, TU56s, or 8-EAEs

$2400 for a 11/03 system?!?
30 years in storage, so I just plugged it in and turned it on [cringe].
"tested works", no boot media or terminal in evidence, so good chance they mean the fans run, the disk motors spin and a light comes on the CPU... not really conclusive.

To me it looks like about $1200-1600 *if* you wanted a system like that and were willing to assume "working" meant that. A RX01 and RX02 with controllers and a 11/03. Hardly worth calling out as crazy at a mere ~2x more than reasonable, but it was amusing to see.
I have a fondness for low-spec systems since they were a lot more typical than the fancy high-end systems at the time so give a better feel for what most users experienced, but they usually aren't in great demand. One wonders if that got built that way because it was a RX01 system and the customer needed more storage space. Then you keep the old drives because they are a sunk cost and you still have a lot of data on the media. Of course, the RX01 controller is a third-party thing, so that's interesting.

Last edited:
$2400 for a 11/03 system?!?
30 years in storage, so I just plugged it in and turned it on [cringe].
"tested works", no boot media or terminal in evidence, so good chance they mean the fans run, the disk motors spin and a light comes on the CPU... not really conclusive.

To me it looks like about $1200-1600 *if* you wanted a system like that and were willing to assume "working" meant that. A RX01 and RX02 with controllers and a 11/03. Hardly worth calling out as crazy at a mere ~2x more than reasonable, but it was amusing to see.
I have a fondness for low-spec systems since they were a lot more typical than the fancy high-end systems at the time so give a better feel for what most users experienced, but they usually aren't in great demand. One wonders if that got built that way because it was a RX01 system and the customer needed more storage space. Then you keep the old drives because they are a sunk cost and you still have a lot of data on the media. Of course, the RX01 controller is a third-party thing, so that's interesting.
That cabinet may well be worth more than the contents.

Tear out crews would remove the guts intact. Racks, cabinets, cables, slides weren't treated quite so carefully.

The madness continues:

No wonder I have been struggling to find an 8/e front-panel. They all hang off walls. 😡
😜

It's an 11...

The starting bid is the same price I paid for one of these a few years ago - but I got the rest of the 11/45 and a TU56 and a ... thrown in for free :)!

The world has gone mad...

Dave

I love the festive color scheme. Pretty much 8/L colors. Not multiple thousands of dollars worth though!

It was only a couple of years ago that I was giving away VAXstation 4000/9x and /6x machines (for a donation to charity)...

Dave

found another one .....
Digital VAXstation 4000/90 Workstation BA46A Series - Model: VS49K-DA Item Information Condition: --not specified Price: US $9,774.99

the sky is the limit?

how can I make that a link as nice as the previous ones? *headscratch*

Yes, the sky is apparently the limit.
Asking price is not always indicative of sale price... but it can get worse, all we need now is a bestseller book or a Hollywood blockbuster with a PDP or a VAX in it.

See what happened after Ready Player One came out:

Ready Player One Causes Price Increase for Adventure Atari Cart

Alon.

Yes, the sky is apparently the limit.
Asking price is not always indicative of sale price... but it can get worse, all we need now is a bestseller book or a Hollywood blockbuster with a PDP or a VAX in it.

See what happened after Ready Player One came out:

Ready Player One Causes Price Increase for Adventure Atari Cart

Alon.
Well, an Adventure cart selling for $30 is hardly the end of the Atari hobby, particularly since the people commenting said they expected the price would settle back down after a while.
So, sure, some good media exposure might have some effect, but short of "Wargames", it's hard to imagine it being too long-lasting.

For once there are a couple of nice offers and not overpriced :)

PDP 11/73
PDP 8 reproduction front plate
pdp 8 frontpanel 1
pdp 8 frontpanel 2

if we make fun of the "greedies" we should also uphold the realistic ones!
The starting prices were very low but the Global Shipping Program prices are outrageously expensive.
Every item ships for well over US$100 plus fantasy import charges depending on the final bid of over US$30 (there are no import charges in Australia for items under A$1000 - about US670). On checkout you are charged a further 10% GST (Australian sales tax).

So even if you would get any of the boards for the US$1 starting price I would pay US$107 shipping plus US$15.60 import charges plus US$1 for the board plus US$12.26 GST for a total of US$134.86. No thanks. :(

Ebay has become crazy even when buying from sellers which are not "greedies" as you called them.

It is time for a new platform to sell/buy old computers.

Last edited:
Back