• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Disk boot failure

If you are going to read the manuals (😉), OS/2 should also be able to tell you what resolution the video card is running at...

You can then compare this to the specifications for the monitor you are displaying it on. The native screen resolution needs to be the same as (or higher than) the resolution you are trying to display.

Dave

Thank you, Brian. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of the effort and expertease that you have contributed in helping me to resolve my PC issue. And yes, I have learned much about basic troubleshooting. I could go on, but that'll take me all day to express how much it has meant to me to reestablish full function(-the floppy drive) to the flight simulator. Although I don't fly everyday, to me, it's a great decompression tool for the occasional stress relief. You give up on me. Good health to you and the happiness.
It's been a pleasure Patrick, I think that this is the whole idea of the forum ... helping others! I'm sure that Dave feels the same!

On your VGA card ... the ET4000AX was made by Tseng, and should be able to support a decent resolution. It is worth checking what you currently have (manuals as Dave says), and then double checking what resolution you have in flight sim ... as I said before, LED screens can be pretty crappy at low resolutions!

If you are going to read the manuals (😉), OS/2 should also be able to tell you what resolution the video card is running at...

You can then compare this to the specifications for the monitor you are displaying it on. The native screen resolution needs to be the same as (or higher than) the resolution you are trying to display.

Dave

Since you have now had a scare with the hard disk, are you going to backup the disk just in case the hard disk fails in the future?

Dave

Good idea. Enlighten me, if you would please sir.

I'd love to see how that pans out. Imaging an old HDD ... not hard. If one has a separate (working - probably Linux) machine that can read CHS and LBA. And the requisite knowledge to do so.

Congrats for chatting with Charlie and talking him (slowly) through the obvious to get issues sorted, mind. You have more patience than I. And I work for First.

M.

I'd love to see how that pans out. Imaging an old HDD ... not hard. If one has a separate (working - probably Linux) machine that can read CHS and LBA. And the requisite knowledge to do so.

Congrats for chatting with Charlie and talking him (slowly) through the obvious to get issues sorted, mind. You have more patience than I. And I work for First.

M.
Hey Matt, I think your thread was intended for someone else because I have no idea what your talking about. I'm on here to learn from the experts, not teach.
Come to think of it, I do have a question for you. Are you familiar troubleshooting OS/2 WARP Version3?

Good idea. Enlighten me, if you would please sir.

Basically, using backup and restore software and a tape drive or another disk drive to copy the image from your current disk drive to another disk drive that you store away somewhere safe.

You could also use the network card and a separate machine to backup the files.

Alternatively, you could run OS/2 Warp and your flight simulator under Windows using a virtualising product.

The key thing is to think about disaster recovery if the disk fails. What are you going to do to recover the situation, or don't you care?

Dave

Hey Matt, I think your thread was intended for someone else because I have no idea what your talking about. I'm on here to learn from the experts, not teach.
Come to think of it, I do have a question for you. Are you familiar troubleshooting OS/2 WARP Version3?
"Rattler" - I ran a rather large and exclusive OS/2 network for a rather large UK agency. OS/2 was favoured (<<see that "u"? It's there for a reason.) over Windows for about 5 months until its absolute demise, due to the fact that it was utterly useless. Yes, Charles. I have a lot of OS/2 knowledge. At least I know how to browse to a drive. I've just been following this thread and had to make a comment. Sorry if that offended your US "sensibilities".

Matt
Gatwick South A34

"Rattler" - I ran a rather large and exclusive OS/2 network for a rather large UK agency. OS/2 was favoured (<<see that "u"? It's there for a reason.) over Windows for about 5 months until its absolute demise, due to the fact that it was utterly useless. Yes, Charles. I have a lot of OS/2 knowledge. At least I know how to browse to a drive. I've just been following this thread and had to make a comment. Sorry if that offended your US "sensibilities".

Matt
Gatwick South A34
Matt, I'd would hate to bother with a elementary problem that would offer you absolutely no challenge, I'm thinking.

Patrick
Texas, USA

Matt, I'd would hate to bother with a elementary problem that would offer you absolutely no challenge, I'm thinking.

Patrick
Texas, USA
Hello Matt, I have an OS/2 question for you if I can figure out how describe the problem. You'll forgive me if I'm lacking proper terminology, but as I said earlier, I'm here to learn. Btw, I chuckled when you mentioned my US sensibilities.😂

Elementary problems are what you provided. Those problems were solved. No problem. Just a shame that you went the long way around.

Middle of field
Charente Maritime, FR

Dave, I found these two packages that appeared to be never opened and in pristine condition. I bought these two beauties a couple of months ago thinking that in case that I would have to uninstall then reinstall a couple of programs, that it would possibly fix my problem, but thanks to you and Brian's expertice, I didn't have to. Now I figure that there nice to have on hand, just in case.

As to my contrasting issue, When I single left click on any given icon, The icon simply highlights and the name of the file is still clear to read, but in this case, as the icon is highlighted, the entire icon is completely brightened out to where it can't be read. Even if any file is opened, the choices from a dropdown window can't be read either. I think you're right. OS/2, overall, may be showing it's age. As I recall, the issue appeared before the original monitor had failed. About five years now. I will take you advice and consult the operators Manual.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Attachments

• OS-2 VERSION 3.jpg
    OS-2 VERSION 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AirCombat CLASSICS.jpg
    AirCombat CLASSICS.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1
Dave, I found these two packages that appeared to be never opened and in pristine condition. I bought these two beauties a couple of months ago thinking that in case that I would have to uninstall then reinstall a couple of programs, that it would possibly fix my problem, but thanks to you and Brian's expertice, I didn't have to. Now I figure that there nice to have on hand, just in case.

As to my contrasting issue, When I single left click on any given icon, The icon simply highlights and the name of the file is still clear to read, but in this case, as the icon is highlighted, the entire icon is completely brightened out to where it can't be read. Even if any file is opened, the choices from a dropdown window can't be read either. I think you're right. OS/2, overall, may be showing it's age. As I recall, the issue appeared before the original monitor had failed. About five years now. I will take you advice and consult the operators Manual.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Hi Patrick, now that you have your PC up and running again, I think it is best if you make a new post specifically about your OS/2 Warp issues as this will get the attention of members what are familiar with it and who can help you further!

Hi Patrick, now that you have your PC up and running again, I think it is best if you make a new post specifically about your OS/2 Warp issues as this will get the attention of members what are familiar with it and who can help you further!
Thanks, Brian. Will do.

Back